Creighton, Dartmouth, Brown, Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Didntdoit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
with a 35R (13P, 12V, 10 BS) mcat, 3.1 cgpa, and 3.3 sgpa. 3.7 sgpa with grade replacement.

URM: latino (Guatemalan)

Home State: Ohio

ECs: okay.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply last year?

Did you take any additional coursework since a year ago, and if so, how many hours and what GPA did you get over this time?

Please give details of your ECs.

No app last year.

Took genetics and A & P in the fall. Got A-'s in both courses. Taking Molecular Bio right now. Should get A.

ECs: one year volunteering at a hospital. Took a job working for an online website. Periodic volunteering.

No research.

Some shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
More science coursework in the two semesters would have been preferred, but with luck, three classes with A-range grades might be enough to reassure adcomms about your potential.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157590/data/table25-hbn-mcatgpa-grid-0810.pdf

As you can see, past underrepresented minorities had up to a 67.1% chance of an acceptance somewhere when applying with a 3.1/35. Decide if you really want to take a shot at strong research institutions when you have no research background. And if you don't have strong nonmedical volunteering, that will hurt you at other schools.

BTW, AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement. But AACOMAS, the DO application service does.

Last edited:
I wish I could get more science coursework in. But, I have to work full time to support myself and my family. My parents are very poor immigrants (we even got the fee waiver for my apps).

I am going to do Cell bio this Spring term. The grade will be out in early June. I hope the fourth course goes well and that it further confirms my abilities.

More science coursework in the two semesters would have been preferred, but with luck, three classes with A-range grades might be enough to reassure adcomms about your potential.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157590/data/table25-hbn-mcatgpa-grid-0810.pdf

As you can see, past underrepresented minorities had up to a 67.1% chance of an acceptance somewhere when applying with a 3.1/35. Decide if you really want to take a shot at strong research institutions when you have no research background. And if you don't have strong nonmedical volunteering, that will hurt you at other schools.

BTW, AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement. But AACOMAS, the DO application service does.

I am confident you will do well.

Thanks

I am really looking at Case since I would like to stay home to be with my people. I might get some research at the end of the summer dealing with the thermodynamics of tRNA folding. I also might do a summer urm prep program and present at a conference. It's kinda up in the air at the moment.

What do you think I need to do to be competitive for Case? Should I wait another year, keep taking courses, and keep volunteering?

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck! Looks like you have a good application going. Like Catalystik said, the schools you listed do value research experience.

If you want to stay close to family, also consider that OSU isn't too far down the road. UC, LECOM, and Ohio aren't very far either. You have some great in-state schools to choose from. You would do well to apply broadly (though don't apply anywhere you wouldn't attend). But in general I think you're on the way to a great app. Good luck!

What do you think I need to do to be competitive for Case? Should I wait another year, keep taking courses, and keep volunteering?
Yes, to all the above, and more:

About 93% of those accepted to Case have research listed (and for all I know the other 7% put it under Employment, rather than Research). Ideally you'd have at least this summer's worth plus the following academic year as well. You might also continue to do research during the application year as well. This could work well for you if you could find a job in a research lab, but it's also possible to volunteer or take a research course for class credit (easy A).

I'd also suggest getting involved in some regular (weekly to twice monthly) nonmedical community service (average of 2 hours a week is fine), possibly something that serves the poor in your neighborhood. I recall you mentioning something about ?worker's comp advocacy in the past, but don't remember if it was a job, or a volunteer position that would work for this expectation.

Taking on a Leadership role, for something similar or perhaps within a service organization would also strengthen your application.

With an extra year, you'd also want to keep your hand in gaining more clinical experience somehow. It's also a good idea to round out the shadowing to at least 50 hours (average amount), which should include a primary care doc.

Do you know about Case's Lerner Track?

Yes, to all the above, and more:

About 93% of those accepted to Case have research listed (and for all I know the other 7% put it under Employment, rather than Research). Ideally you'd have at least this summer's worth plus the following academic year as well. You might also continue to do research during the application year as well. This could work well for you if you could find a job in a research lab, but it's also possible to volunteer or take a research course for class credit (easy A).

I'd also suggest getting involved in some regular (weekly to twice monthly) nonmedical community service (average of 2 hours a week is fine), possibly something that serves the poor in your neighborhood. I recall you mentioning something about ?worker's comp advocacy in the past, but don't remember if it was a job, or a volunteer position that would work for this expectation.

Taking on a Leadership role, for something similar or perhaps within a service organization would also strengthen your application.

With an extra year, you'd also want to keep your hand in gaining more clinical experience somehow. It's also a good idea to round out the shadowing to at least 50 hours (average amount), which should include a primary care doc.

Do you know about Case's Lerner Track?

Thanks.

I put in to get some research this summer and next fall.

I got an email from the Lerner program after I got my MCAT back. It sounds great, but I figured it was too much of a reach for me at the time.

I clerked for a solo lawyer who did disability discrimination cases. Some workers comp too. Tort stuff too.

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck! Looks like you have a good application going. Like Catalystik said, the schools you listed do value research experience.

If you want to stay close to family, also consider that OSU isn't too far down the road. UC, LECOM, and Ohio aren't very far either. You have some great in-state schools to choose from. You would do well to apply broadly (though don't apply anywhere you wouldn't attend). But in general I think you're on the way to a great app. Good luck!

I was thinking about OSU, NEOUCOM, Toledo, and UC. OSU also has the Medpath program.

For DO, I was thinking OUCOM and/or MSUCOM.