Creighton -- financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiffy boy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who knows--
How is the financial aid package for Creighton? I know some private schools offer different forms of grants and things to lower the high tuition costs. Does Creighton do anything like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you had your interview here yet? Tanya Avant does a great speech on the financial aid offered here. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such package. We all rely on private scholarships, military scholarships, and the federal loans to get us through.

The money is never on your mind while you are here. They have these lectures about once a year, and they send little reminders with each loan disbursement as to how much in debt we are (they are also a reminder that the money does have to be paid back someday).

I take Unsub, Sub, and keep the leftovers plus scholarships for living. It works pretty nicely. It shouldnt be too hard to repay the loans once out of residency, so we dont worry about it much. The only caveat is that you had better not change your mind about the profession you are choosing, because it is awefully difficult to repay a 150,000 loan on a molecular biologists (insert your undergrad major's profession here) salary.

Good luck to you.

docuw,

Thanks for the info. My interview is in a couple of weeks.

I have two more questions. I read on Creighton's website and read that 97% of the students received their first choice of residency. Is that true?

Also, does Creighton accept everyone that they interview?

Thanks Greatly

Members don't see this ad :)
The 97% placement is absolutely correct. Dr. Kavan, who you will know to love in a few weeks, just talked to us a few days ago about residencies and MedCareers, etc. The fact is that Creighton puts out top notch clinicians, and the students are well loved by residency programs. We have tons of community service opportunities, and, although not known for research, they have a great summer research fellowship available (complete with publication in about 60% of the projects, 100% abstracts, and a $3000 stipend - I thought that was a pretty good deal).

As I mentioned in your PreMed post, I do not believe that 100% are accepted. I think the rate is closer to 50%.

Later

It's not that Creighton is a bad school, it's just that it is not even the best school in Omaha. Simply put, it is not worth the price.

I have to admit that I have very little knowledge about UNMC having come in from out of state. I do know that they have a very good organ transplant program. I also know that the physicians that we train with in town frequently have worked for both UNMC and Creighton - all of them (every single one) has said that Creighton has by far better students, especially obvious when it comes to rotations. They also have reiterated the high praise towards the school for putting out excellent clinicians.

As for the statement that it isnt worth it, I have to disagree. Granted, that is a ton of money (especially shocking at first having come from an instate public tuition to this private med school). However, the funds are an investment into your future. You could definitely pay less at many other public schools (and very few other privates), and that would be great. Creighton offers a very warm environment (i.e., not a cut throat competitve environment) with top notch professors. They prepare the students very well for USMLEs, and have an excellent placement rate for residency spots. These qualities make for an excellent school in my opinion. Definitely well worth the investment.