AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Is anyone else attending Creighton's open house this weekend?

Feb 17, 2015
I was thinking about it but realized I have to study for an exam. I met with the admission committee though! Great people!
Let me know how it goes if you end up going!

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I was thinking about it but realized I have to study for an exam. I met with the admission committee though! Great people!
Let me know how it goes if you end up going!
I'm definitely going! I'm so excited for it. I wish I didn't have to wait until Sunday for it, but I'll have some time to poke around Omaha. I saw a nice looking park with lots of geese on the drive from the airport. I had a campus tour in May and everyone I met was amazing - very friendly and helpful. Are you applying distance or regular?

Feb 17, 2015
I am applying regular because I live about 40 minutes away from omaha.
But yeah, we are super nice around here.
I had a one on one meeting with the admission when they came to my school to talk about my app & chances of getting in, and they take everything into considerate. So yeah, you will have a chance there!

It is a great school! I am sure you will love it. Omaha is super nice too. Great place to do rotations since Creighton is super high on clinical rotations. We have lots of hospitals around too.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am applying regular because I live about 40 minutes away from omaha.
But yeah, we are super nice around here.
I had a one on one meeting with the admission when they came to my school to talk about my app & chances of getting in, and they take everything into considerate. So yeah, you will have a chance there!

It is a great school! I am sure you will love it. Omaha is super nice too. Great place to do rotations since Creighton is super high on clinical rotations. We have lots of hospitals around too.
Awesome. Good luck! Did you put your app in already?

Feb 17, 2015
Yep I did. It hasn't been verified though, its been like 4 weeks now.
Good luck to you too!
Have you done their supplemental app?

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yep I did. It hasn't been verified though, its been like 4 weeks now.
Good luck to you too!
Have you done their supplemental app?
Thanks! Yes I did. It took longer than the PharmCAS app because I wanted to really take my time on the essays. Have you submitted yours yet?

Feb 17, 2015
Yeah I did. It was hard writing them at first because of the values that we had to incorporate. I put in more effort in my pharmcas personal statement though.
I hope it goes well though.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah I did. It was hard writing them at first because of the values that we had to incorporate. I put in more effort in my pharmcas personal statement though.
I hope it goes well though.
It's going to be so hard waiting until November before the possibility of hearing something begins. But there's always the distraction of classes. Lol

Feb 17, 2015
Yeah it will be. I am not sure why it is so late in interviews compared to other schools when they are doing it right now.
At least it is better than UNMC, they do interviews in December or January. Soo long

Is Creighton your first choice? Or are you applying to more schools?

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah it will be. I am not sure why it is so late in interviews compared to other schools when they are doing it right now.
At least it is better than UNMC, they do interviews in December or January. Soo long

Is Creighton your first choice? Or are you applying to more schools?
Creighton is definitely my first choice. I'm also applying to Midwestern Glendale though too. How about you?

Feb 17, 2015
U of Colorado is my first choice. I am applying to Midwestern Glendale too but I am not sure if I really want to go there anymore. But it will be warm & toasty.
Then I applied to Minnesota, UNMC, Iowa, Tennessee, and maybe some others but I am still deciding because of the cost.
Yeah I just want to move out of Nebraska.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
U of Colorado is my first choice. I am applying to Midwestern Glendale too but I am not sure if I really want to go there anymore. But it will be warm & toasty.
Then I applied to Minnesota, UNMC, Iowa, Tennessee, and maybe some others but I am still deciding because of the cost.
Yeah I just want to move out of Nebraska.
Best of luck on applying. Have you gotten any interviews yet?

Feb 17, 2015
No not yet. I believe they are waiting for my app to be verified then they can go through it. UNMC told me that they signed a contract with pharmcas and they are not allowed to go through it until it is verified. He said most schools are like that.
Have you?

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
No not yet. I believe they are waiting for my app to be verified then they can go through it. UNMC told me that they signed a contract with pharmcas and they are not allowed to go through it until it is verified. He said most schools are like that.
Have you?
Not yet, but I haven't expected to honestly. I just took the PCAT on Thursday so I'm guessing I won't hear anything until PharmCAS gets my scores. Which if I calculated correctly, according to the time table should be released by the end of October if it takes 6 weeks.

Feb 17, 2015
Oh yeah me too. I retook it yesterday. I have my July in with my app but hopefully it will have the yesterday one soon.
I think my July one took like 3 weeks for it to get in.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Oh yeah me too. I retook it yesterday. I have my July in with my app but hopefully it will have the yesterday one soon.
I think my July one took like 3 weeks for it to get in.
How did you do? That would be awesome if it only took 3 weeks to get in as my app would be completely ready by the preferred deadline.

Feb 17, 2015
I did really good! I thought My score was going to be bad after the math part, but I did pretty good.
But yeah I hope they get it in fast, so the admission can use that score.
Did you do okay?

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I did really good! I thought My score was going to be bad after the math part, but I did pretty good.
But yeah I hope they get it in fast, so the admission can use that score.
Did you do okay?
I'm not sure. Lol certainly not as well as I had hoped.

VA: 91
B: 74
RC: 51
QA: 82
C: 61
Composite: 79

The composite is pretty good, but I took a big hit on the RC section because I ran out of time and had at least 5, maybe as many as 10 unanswered. I wasn't watching my time and ended up forgetting every trick I has learned for picking up time in that section. On the plus side, even the RC section is above Creighton's absolute minimum composite and the next lowest is above what they consider competitive composite-wise. But they are both way below where I would like. Not sure if I should retake or not.

Feb 17, 2015
Yeah I am not sure with my reading because it is wayyyy below yours. I checked out all the schools that I applied and they didn't have a min of each subtest but just an overall min comp score.

I don't think that the reading score influenced a lot on the comp score. It is mostly the bio & chem score.
Because I got:

VA: 43 (haha I suck)
Bio: 99
Chem: 99
QA: 83
RC: 16 (idk what happen, I am just shocked at this score)
Composite: 95

So I believe that the bio & chem weighs the heaviest on the composition score.
Because in july, I got a 70 on bio & 95 on chem, the rest of the scores were similar and I got a 70 comp.

But I wouldn't worry too much about the reading score, I ask UNMC and he said forget about the reading, we look more at the science area.
So I am pretty sure Creighton is the same because that is UNMC's competition. (the schools are in the same neighborhood)

I think your comp score is good. They both said that a 70+ is competitive. A little iffy about the chem, but if the open house tomorrow lets you ask question, ask them about that.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah I am not sure with my reading because it is wayyyy below yours. I checked out all the schools that I applied and they didn't have a min of each subtest but just an overall min comp score.

I don't think that the reading score influenced a lot on the comp score. It is mostly the bio & chem score.
Because I got:

VA: 43 (haha I suck)
Bio: 99
Chem: 99
QA: 83
RC: 16 (idk what happen, I am just shocked at this score)
Composite: 95

So I believe that the bio & chem weighs the heaviest on the composition score.
Because in july, I got a 70 on bio & 95 on chem, the rest of the scores were similar and I got a 70 comp.

But I wouldn't worry too much about the reading score, I ask UNMC and he said forget about the reading, we look more at the science area.
So I am pretty sure Creighton is the same because that is UNMC's competition. (the schools are in the same neighborhood)

I think your comp score is good. They both said that a 70+ is competitive. A little iffy about the chem, but if the open house tomorrow lets you ask question, ask them about that.
That's what I was thinking too as far as asking them and then signing up for October's exam tomorrow if need be. Congrats on your scores though. Bio and chem are amazing! How did you study for them?

Feb 17, 2015
Thank you!! I worked really hard to study for the pcat while having classes on my load too. It was a long two months to study for this sept. But yeah, I am really happy I got those scores since my GPA is on the lower end. I never thought I would get above a 90.

For both bio & chem, I used dr collins.
I had the kaplan book but read through the bio like once, more like skimmed through actually haha.

But yeah I just did the practice tests of dr collins over and over. I had the 2014 version because I bought mine a little early in December and after that they came out with the 2015 version, so I was like crap, should have waited.

For chem, I did the practice tests, I had 14 of them, so I split 2 a day for 7 days and then start over each week.
But for chem, I wouldn't recommend memorizing the answer because the actual pcat had similar concepts, not same questions.
This one girl I know just memorize his answers but did absolutely horrible on the actual pcat chem.
So for studying, you have to know why it does that or how it does that. If you got that down, you will get above a 90 on chem.
Also with organic chem, since there is different reactants, again, you want to know how each one works & their product.

Same goes for bio, I did all of dr collins practice exams in one week and then start over the next week. Also studied his study notes. Skimmed through kaplan bio once.

During this week, I didn't have time to study as much because I was exhausted from classes.

So yeah, I got done with bio & chem pretty quickly and I manage to go through them 3 times to make sure my answers are (hopefully) right and see why the other choices are wrong.

OP
AstraZ

AstraZ

prn
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thank you!! I worked really hard to study for the pcat while having classes on my load too. It was a long two months to study for this sept. But yeah, I am really happy I got those scores since my GPA is on the lower end. I never thought I would get above a 90.

For both bio & chem, I used dr collins.
I had the kaplan book but read through the bio like once, more like skimmed through actually haha.

But yeah I just did the practice tests of dr collins over and over. I had the 2014 version because I bought mine a little early in December and after that they came out with the 2015 version, so I was like crap, should have waited.

For chem, I did the practice tests, I had 14 of them, so I split 2 a day for 7 days and then start over each week.
But for chem, I wouldn't recommend memorizing the answer because the actual pcat had similar concepts, not same questions.
This one girl I know just memorize his answers but did absolutely horrible on the actual pcat chem.
So for studying, you have to know why it does that or how it does that. If you got that down, you will get above a 90 on chem.
Also with organic chem, since there is different reactants, again, you want to know how each one works & their product.

Same goes for bio, I did all of dr collins practice exams in one week and then start over the next week. Also studied his study notes. Skimmed through kaplan bio once.

During this week, I didn't have time to study as much because I was exhausted from classes.

So yeah, I got done with bio & chem pretty quickly and I manage to go through them 3 times to make sure my answers are (hopefully) right and see why the other choices are wrong.
Cool. Thank you. I definitely think it's critical to understand the concepts behind the material because, while the PCAT is important, the material is laying the groundwork of the knowledge you need to start with once you get in. That's part of why I studied as long and hard as I did... And why I'm as disappointed as I am in my chem score. For me, it has been 10 - 15 years since I've had these classes so I want to make sure that if or when I get in that I've got a strong foundation to go from. Even if I don't retake the PCAT I'm going to continue to review chem albeit at a much more relaxed pace. Lol but we'll see after tomorrow if I end up retaking or not. If I do, I think I need to FedEx overnight Dr. Collins because he seems to do a good review on chem,