Creighton (Phoenix) vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrykos

Reaction score
Creighton (Phoenix)
Pros
  • Closer to support system (socal), can drive back during long weekends/holidays
  • Students seemed happy, staff seemed very supportive
  • Atmosphere seems less competitive
  • Preclinical and clinical are honors/satisfactory/unsatisfactory

Cons
  • Newer campus
  • Fewer home residencies
  • Harder to find research

VCU
Pros
  • More home residencies
  • Easier to find research
  • Preclinical is P/F

Cons
  • No support system at all
  • Clinical is H/HP/P/F
  • Weather (for me)

COA for both is about the same

My heart seems to be set on Creighton, primarily because of the proximity to my support system. However, I would like to hear others' thoughts as well. I also have a question: how much do home programs matter when applying to residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

VCU

They matter a lot if you want anything competitive. Also I’m pretty sure VCU is mid tier IM so you would be able to fall back on that and match sub specialty with ease if something goes wrong

Reactions: 1 user
VCU

They matter a lot if you want anything competitive. Also I’m pretty sure VCU is mid tier IM so you would be able to fall back on that and match sub specialty with ease if something goes wrong
Are home residencies easier to get into?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is much easier to be in Phoenix than on the opposite side of the US when comparing distance to home. Are you interested in any competitive specialities?

It is much easier to be in Phoenix than on the opposite side of the US when comparing distance to home. Are you interested in any competitive specialities?
I don't have a set goal for now, but I know that I don't want to do urology or surgery. ROAD specialties would be nice just for the lifestyle, but I'm not particularly set on them. IM into cardiology is also pretty interesting.

Last edited:
R&A are accessible for any md student from what I’ve heard

O&D will be harder