Creighton University SOM -- Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD in 2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who else is on board?

Members don't see this ad.

I am waiting on OHSU but other wise "OMAHA here I come!"

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know for sure if he/she is going to matriculate at Creighton this fall?

See you Aug. 10th :)

chubisk said:
See you Aug. 10th :)

I second that notion...just to let you soon-to-be pals know, there is a really great crop of top-notch Creighton undergrads (academically & socially speaking) entering the class also, so our class should be a great one.

whitecoatjimmy said:
I second that notion...just to let you soon-to-be pals know, there is a really great crop of top-notch Creighton undergrads (academically & socially speaking) entering the class also, so our class should be a great one.

I will be at Creighton too . Admitted Nov 2004.My dilemma is that i am on the top portion of UCSF wait list and my friends think I should go there if a spot becomes available. For them name is everything. Yet, I was so impressed by Creighton!I loved the campus, the atmosphere among students,the people in the office of admission and fin. aid have been extremely helpful, and I am not big on competition.
You future classmates of CUSOM, could you give me some feedbacks? I am a non- traditional candidate (meaning I am not 24) and I am not American either, althougth I live here permanently.

I am definately attending Creighton in August. Needless to say, I'm excited. I loved the school, facilities, people, etc. Can't wait to start!

lumd said:
I will be at Creighton too . Admitted Nov 2004.My dilemma is that i am on the top portion of UCSF wait list and my friends think I should go there if a spot becomes available. For them name is everything. Yet, I was so impressed by Creighton!I loved the campus, the atmosphere among students,the people in the office of admission and fin. aid have been extremely helpful, and I am not big on competition.
You future classmates of CUSOM, could you give me some feedbacks? I am a non- traditional candidate (meaning I am not 24) and I am not American either, althougth I live here permanently.

dude... if you get into UCSF, it'd be in your best interest to attend.

i know that name isn't everything, but it is something: especially in this situation when you're going from unranked to #5. when it comes time to apply for residency, you might have the desire--that is if you don't already--to match in something ulta-competitive and going to a top rated school will give you an edge.

:thumbup:

whitecoatjimmy said:

Hey, how do you know about what kind of students are there? Are you from Creighton? I hope it is legal to ask! I am very interested since I want a great, smart environment without the big egos. I always hear about how cohesive are the students....tell us more if you can.

lumd said:
Hey, how do you know about what kind of students are there? Are you from Creighton? I hope it is legal to ask! I am very interested since I want a great, smart environment without the big egos. I always hear about how cohesive are the students....tell us more if you can.

I was an undergrad at Creighton and those 4 years pretty much ensured that I would stick around for another 4. Not to get overly dramatic here, but the people here absolutely define the experience. At the risk of generalizing, you will find most individuals are "internally competitive." That is, they try to push themselves to perform to the best of their ability, but this does not come at the expense of others. From my own experience, the "Creighton community" that you hear people talk about is not just lip service, and is in fact a tangible part of CU. Rest your fears about the big egos my friend.

As far as what kind of students there are, you'll see a wide range. Geographically, CU Med students come all over and vary greatly in their backgrounds. A major factor in my decision to come to Creighton hinged upon the glowing recommendations of M4's leaving the Creighton system. Quite simply, it's a great school that cares about its students.

See ya all in the big "O" August 10th ....... is there a thread for posting apartment vacancies on here? Just got a sweet pad I need to fill.

Members don't see this ad :)
whitecoatjimmy said:
I was an undergrad at Creighton and those 4 years pretty much ensured that I would stick around for another 4. Not to get overly dramatic here, but the people here absolutely define the experience. At the risk of generalizing, you will find most individuals are "internally competitive." That is, they try to push themselves to perform to the best of their ability, but this does not come at the expense of others. From my own experience, the "Creighton community" that you hear people talk about is not just lip service, and is in fact a tangible part of CU. Rest your fears about the big egos my friend.

As far as what kind of students there are, you'll see a wide range. Geographically, CU Med students come all over and vary greatly in their backgrounds. A major factor in my decision to come to Creighton hinged upon the glowing recommendations of M4's leaving the Creighton system. Quite simply, it's a great school that cares about its students.

Thank you for your input. Does anyone know why Creighton is not ranked? I actually have read about the whole ranking system and how it is somewhat flawed so I am not putting great emphasis on this point. However it is true that schools with big names usually have their M4 placed in big name residency program.

One reason why we aren't ranked is cause we do a minimal amount of research compared to other medical schools. Our most notible research is hereditary cancer by the "father" of hereditary cancer research, Dr. Lynch (Lynch Syndrome - HNPCC) and we also do notable osteoporosis research. I think the US News rankings are very dependent on amount of research funding.

Jetson

Jet915 said:
One reason why we aren't ranked is cause we do a minimal amount of research compared to other medical schools. Our most notible research is hereditary cancer by the "father" of hereditary cancer research, Dr. Lynch (Lynch Syndrome - HNPCC) and we also do notable osteoporosis research. I think the US News rankings are very dependent on amount of research funding.

Jetson

Can you share a bit of your experience at Creighton with us? Anything that you really like or dislike about the school/ location?

i'll also be seeing you august 10th. just moved to omaha from nyc. a big change, but a welcome one, i think. anyone else already in omaha want to get together before school starts? email me [email protected]

As a member of the 2008 class, I just wanted to say welcome, you're headed for a great school and a fun 1st year!

Do you guys mind to mention your stats (including EC's) please?
Appreciated.

Yay! I'm so excited to meet everyone August 10th! :p
Two of my friends will be in the class with me!

Want_2Bcom_a_dr said:
Do you guys mind to mention your stats (including EC's) please?
Appreciated.

3.5 undergrad gpa
3.2 science (opps)
4.0 graduate school
mcat 29---10s10b9v (can't remember writing sample)
Div1 sports- 4 years
volunteered a ton...Project Welcome, tutoring intercity youth, child care at a DV shelter (2-3 hours per week)
lots of EC's-art club, recording music, writing, teaching tennis and tutoring...etc.
shadowing experiences (surgeries, pathology)
clinical experience...worked at the Cardiac Center Coumadin Clinic.
Currently working 40++ hours at a social work job (drug education mostly)
no research for me.

I hope this helps?

elliott

Hi!
I'll be attending CUSOM in August and I was wondering if anybody has any info on good places to live. I know that the student website provides some info, but does anybody know of specific apartment complexes that are particularly good places to live?

Thanks!

cr8on2009 said:
Hi!
I'll be attending CUSOM in August and I was wondering if anybody has any info on good places to live. I know that the student website provides some info, but does anybody know of specific apartment complexes that are particularly good places to live?

Thanks!

I have friends who live/lived in the Old Market Lofts. They are downtown, close to school and very nice looking. I haven't lived there myself but they seem super cool.

What about Phi Chi? The Creighton Coed Fraternity?

Seemed to work well for some of my classmates, pretty close to school, and let me tell you from experience that being able to borrow books from older students is an awesome thing and you might be able to work that out relatively easy at Phi Chi. But you guys should check out their website if interested.

http://medicine.creighton.edu/PhiChi/phichi.htm

cr8on2009 said:
Hi!

Thanks!

I'm entering CUSOM in the fall, but have lived in Omaha for about 2 years. Look for apartments in the Dundee area which is about 50 and Underwood (or Cass). It is a great neighborhood, has a few bars, some pretty good restaurants and an art gallery which adds good atmosphere (I sell my glass jewelry there). It is centrally located, safe, close to CUSOM (10 minutes), and the rents should be cheaper than the old market. I looked to buy a house there when my family relocated.

The apartment buildings are older with character which I like, but if you want a new place with bells and whistles you should look west (which puts you farther from school). Hope to meet you in the fall and good luck in the hunt. Let me know if you have anymore Omaha questions. My family has been very happy here.

I'll be an M1 next month as well and I lived in Omaha for two years while earning a master's degree from Creighton. I lived in the old market with a med student during that time and loved every minute of it. The Old Market Lofts (11th & Jones) are very nice but they don't have garbage disposals and they are on the south edge of the old market(this end is very noisy). I lived in the Ford Warehouse (11th & dodge) which is a great location directly off the 480 off ramp and because it is on the north end of the old market (across from Qwest Center) it is a much faster drive to Creighton. It was great to walk to the bars and not worry about driving; however, med students don't go out downtown quite as much as you would expect. They also go out to the Crescent Moon (35th & Farnam), the Jay (across from school), the Dundee Dell (50th & Underwood), and sometimes to bars out west. So don't let the close proximity to the bars be your deciding factor to live in the market. Hope this post is helpful, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

jbs57 said:
I'll be an M1 next month as well and I lived in Omaha for two years while earning a master's degree from Creighton. I lived in the old market with a med student during that time and loved every minute of it. The Old Market Lofts (11th & Jones) are very nice but they don't have garbage disposals and they are on the south edge of the old market(this end is very noisy). I lived in the Ford Warehouse (11th & dodge) which is a great location directly off the 480 off ramp and because it is on the north end of the old market (across from Qwest Center) it is a much faster drive to Creighton. It was great to walk to the bars and not worry about driving; however, med students don't go out downtown quite as much as you would expect. They also go out to the Crescent Moon (35th & Farnam), the Jay (across from school), the Dundee Dell (50th & Underwood), and sometimes to bars out west. So don't let the close proximity to the bars be your deciding factor to live in the market. Hope this post is helpful, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I totally, like, know you. See you in August.

Fellow CU M1's,

Did anyone else notice that classes are scheduled to start at 6am M-F for the entire semester? I'm hoping this isn't correct, as that time of morning is quite early to be sitting in lectures 5 days a week. If you haven't looked, the website it's posted on is medicine.creighton.edu/M1BB. Then, you'll need your CUMail login to access it.

Any input would be great!!

--WCJ

As of now, I am unable to access my CUmail account. Six am you say? Yipes. I'm guessing this was a mistake. I was a TA for M1's (last year) in anatomy and not once did they mention anything about 6am classes.
Oh! Where are you buying your books? Or will you wait until orientation?
Please let me know if anything changes as far as our class schedule.
thanks.
e||i0tt

elliott said:
As of now, I am unable to access my CUmail account. Six am you say? Yipes. I'm guessing this was a mistake. I was a TA for M1's (last year) in anatomy and not once did they mention anything about 6am classes.
Oh! Where are you buying your books? Or will you wait until orientation?
Please let me know if anything changes as far as our class schedule.
thanks.
e||i0tt

I think the 6am is an error. I looked at the site a few weeks ago and it said 8 am and then it changed to 6 am. I went to the bookstore about a week ago as I live in Omaha, and they only had the bundle of books. Most weren't in so I'm going to wait until orientation week.

Could u guys tell me how much I need to borrow from ALP? I think I will get full Federal Stafford Loans (Subsidzed and UnSub). I just got accepted today off the waitlist.

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Congrats Joe!!!

Tuition is about 38,300
Books, supplies, room, board, travel, etc. "they" say is about: 20,000

So the total cost of attendance is around 58,000

I guess it all depends on what you're willing to take out in loans.

Weren't you paying attention during the financial presentation on interview day?
just kidding.
yippie for creighton,
elliott

elliott said:
Hey Congrats Joe!!!

Tuition is about 38,300
Books, supplies, room, board, travel, etc. "they" say is about: 20,000

So the total cost of attendance is around 58,000

I guess it all depends on what you're willing to take out in loans.

Weren't you paying attention during the financial presentation on interview day?
just kidding.
yippie for creighton,
elliott

Thanks Elliott.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? Could u pm me? Thanks.

Joe

cindy4443 said:
I think the 6am is an error. I looked at the site a few weeks ago and it said 8 am and then it changed to 6 am. I went to the bookstore about a week ago as I live in Omaha, and they only had the bundle of books. Most weren't in so I'm going to wait until orientation week.

Last year classes started at 9am for the M1s. I wouldn't be shocked if they move you guys to 8 this year, but 6 is definitely a mistake.

Everyone starts at 8am this year... which is a good thing as you might have a prayer of finding parking that early.