Creighton vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that most of you hate these types of threads, but I have only found one other thread about creighton vs loyola from 2006 and it wasnt very helpful. So forgive me if these threads severely annoy you.

My dilemma is that both loyola and creighton seem to have a very similar feel and focus. Students seem very happy at both locations and the staff seem very friendly and helpful at both as well. I know that there is a big difference in location, and yes, part of me feels that being near Chicago would be nicer than Omaha (although I dont think Omaha would be awful either). Cost-wise they are also very similar. One element that makes Omaha a possibility over Chicago is that it is closer to Denver (where I am from). I just really dont know how to make this decision, since all of the major areas which people usually decide on are similar at both schools. Is there any insight which I am missing, that a student can help me out with? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I know that most of you hate these types of threads, but I have only found one other thread about creighton vs loyola from 2006 and it wasnt very helpful. So forgive me if these threads severely annoy you.

My dilemma is that both loyola and creighton seem to have a very similar feel and focus. Students seem very happy at both locations and the staff seem very friendly and helpful at both as well. I know that there is a big difference in location, and yes, part of me feels that being near Chicago would be nicer than Omaha (although I dont think Omaha would be awful either). Cost-wise they are also very similar. One element that makes Omaha a possibility over Chicago is that it is closer to Denver (where I am from). I just really dont know how to make this decision, since all of the major areas which people usually decide on are similar at both schools. Is there any insight which I am missing, that a student can help me out with? Thanks

I Just want to say that these are seriously my favorite types of threads. It is like celebrity deathmatch but with medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not been to Loyola, but when I interviewed at Creighton I loved it. The cost of living is low, the people are very friendly, you can arrive literally 15 minutes before your flight boards and you will still be early...

You said that you thought both of the schools were very similar. I think they are pretty similar in rank and the quality of places people match into as well. All else being equal I guess it would come down to the cost of living and the city where you would be spending the next 4 years. Although I love Chicago, I think that I would choose Omaha because you can literally get a luxury apartment for less than $700/month and if you wanted to live in a cheap place I was looking on Craigslist and you could easily get a place for $250/month.

BTW. I think I interviewed on the same day as you at Creighton (Oct 17th?)

That's a good point about the cost of living. That just might cause me to lean in favor of creighton. And I interviewed there on the 10th of Oct.

Creighton is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Roll with Creighton man.

Loyola Med School is not IN Chicago per-se. It is in the west suburbs of Chicago. I am estimating that it would take you about 20-30 minutes to take the train (blue line, I think) to downtown chicago...so its not that great of a location...especially since you won't have alot of time.

However, I drove through Omaha Nebraska once and that town only seems to exist because there isn't another town for 200 miles in either direction on Hwy 80.

That's just my two cents...