Creighton vs. Marquette vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moabmad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well let’s have it, what are the pros and cons between the three. What would you choose and why?

I am not looking to specialize, right now.
I am looking for a clinical based program.

Hopefully you guys see some difference because I have looked at this from every perspective I can think of and they all look great. I just can’t find a way to get a definitive winner. :confused:

Cost is a wash.
All great areas to live.
All clincally focused.
I loved the areas when I interviewed. And I have lived in milwaukee so I am sort of biased toward marquette.
No specialties at creighton is nice... more clinical exposure to difficult procedures.........
Michigan is well known for its sciences.....

and the list goes on and on with no clear winner.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

DM

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty much in your shoes a 2 years ago. Creighton all the way!! I had to choose from Creighton, Michigan, Indiana, and Marquette. I choose Marquette... feels like a big mistake, I really wish I wouldve gone to Creighton :(. Creighton will prepare you best clinically since there is no specialty program to take away your cases. Example: At Marquette most root canals go straight to Endo, at Creighton you would do it! As far as Michigan is concerned I'd say it might not be the best fit for you, although having a good science background does = great dentist long term (you'll be able to keep up with the "new stuff").

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who attended Creighton and is now in a specialty program. He said that he was extremely prepared clinically, but his overall experience with all of the internal politics and extra BS was terrible. He said that if he had to choose again, he would have chosen not to attend Creighton. That is just one person's $0.02, though.

I would go to Michigan. Just can't beat it. Even though Creighton is a great school, I would get tired of the formal attire all the time. Especially in the labs.

I cant comment on Creighton but between Michigan and Marquette I can. You will have a smaller class size with Marquette vs. Michigan. Milwaukee is a pretty awesome city but Im a little bias since I live there. I felt Ann Arbor was a pretty cool city but a very metro city completely based around UMich. There is probably a lot more to do in Milwaukee and they have wayyyyyyyy better drink specials! Both are cold, so weather is a wash. Marquette you get into the clinic your D1 and I dont think you do at Michigan. Michigan is way more researched based but they dont require it where as Marquette is not researched based but they do require it, very ironic. Cost will be about the same, as you stated. If it were me, I would attend Marquette but again that is slightly biased since I live in Milwaukee but I went on a good amount of interviews and I can say that Marquette is honestly a pretty good school compared to all the schools I interviewed at.

Thanks for the responses!

For me, my internal struggle is that I think creighton produces a far superior clinican due to no specialty programs..... but Marquette produces a more well rounded dentist due to a higher quality science instruction. Also, I have lived in Milwaukee and loved it..... cant say that about creighton...... also I am not really a shirt and tie (everyday) type person that creighton requires.... more of a scrubs/tshirt.....

And the internal struggle ensues!:mad:......

Please dont interpret this post as perpetual whinning.... I feel very fortunate to be in this position..... just doesnt make choosing any easier.

I am in a similar struggle so I can totally understand where you are coming from. My choice is between Nova in Ft. Lauderdale and Creighton. I am living in Florida and have lived there for the majority of my life. Until recently I came to the conclusion that Creighton would be a better fit for me. I hear you about shirt and tie (really not looking forward to it) but... I can wear scrubs for the rest of my life if I want to depending on how dental school goes. A change of pace. You are from Milwaukee and moving possibly choosing out of three cold state dental schools. I get hell from people telling me that Nova is a better choice because of the weather(?? this should not be the only consideration). Creighton clinicals has a reputation like no other. I have heard great thing back to back from all the dentists I have shared the news with. My suggestion to you is to ask yourself what you goal would be as a dentist in 5 years after graduation. For me I want to be the most competent general dentist possible. Creighton will give me that opportunity. All three schools are going to give you a hell of an education....and the struggle continues :laugh:

haha jp you'll make the right decision. Hope to see you next fall in creighton if you choose to commit

take care mate

I cant comment on Creighton but between Michigan and Marquette I can. You will have a smaller class size with Marquette vs. Michigan. Milwaukee is a pretty awesome city but Im a little bias since I live there. I felt Ann Arbor was a pretty cool city but a very metro city completely based around UMich. There is probably a lot more to do in Milwaukee and they have wayyyyyyyy better drink specials! Both are cold, so weather is a wash. Marquette you get into the clinic your D1 and I dont think you do at Michigan. Michigan is way more researched based but they dont require it where as Marquette is not researched based but they do require it, very ironic. Cost will be about the same, as you stated. If it were me, I would attend Marquette but again that is slightly biased since I live in Milwaukee but I went on a good amount of interviews and I can say that Marquette is honestly a pretty good school compared to all the schools I interviewed at.

Milwaukee sucks! Nothing to do here! Well I take that back you can go to a bar on 16th or you can go to a bar on 17th or you can go to a bar 3rd or maybe if you feel like doing something a little different you can go to a bar on Water. (All bars here suck, but I'm sure you know that)

Its nice someone posted positively about the school, I mean I felt the same way as an APPLICANT. As a STUDENT IN MY SECOND YEAR I can safely say that HONESTLY Marquette is a pretty horrible school. Btw you can get a cleaning with you dentist before you go to D school and get as much experience as we did our D1 year. :laugh: freshmen... jk but not really...

I disagree that Milwaukee sucks. We moved away to a suburb of Milwaukee about 8 months ago and we definitely miss Milwaukee, there is plenty to do besides drink, although it's incredibly cheap compared to other major cities. I'm starting to take what marquettedental is saying with less and less stock. I've heard about 50 people throughout the years who loved Marquette. No school is for everyone and I appreciate you giving another view of the school but you are just sounding cynicle at this point.

marquettedental sounds like a person who is put on hold by marquette and is just trying to scare people away so he can get in.

marquettedental sounds like a person who is put on hold by marquette and is just trying to scare people away so he can get in.

sorry no im a student...
IMG_0754.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry no im a student...

Still don't believe you.... I'm just messing. Alright, I guess I was a just bit surprised with how blatant you were with your unhappiness in Marquette. Especially since it seemed like a really nice school during the interview.

Still don't believe you.... I'm just messing. Alright, I guess I was a just bit surprised with how blatant you were with your unhappiness in Marquette. Especially since it seemed like a really nice school during the interview.

Yeah I seriously can understand where you are coming from, I mean I choose Marquette because of how nice everything was at the interview. I got a pm from someone randomly saying "i hope you come off the waitlist" earlier this week. I was like "what the hell was that about?" but after seeing your post I get it...

I have a friend who attended Creighton and is now in a specialty program. He said that he was extremely prepared clinically, but his overall experience with all of the internal politics and extra BS was terrible. He said that if he had to choose again, he would have chosen not to attend Creighton. That is just one person's $0.02, though.

atticus- can you elaborate about the internal politics and BS?

Yeah I seriously can understand where you are coming from, I mean I choose Marquette because of how nice everything was at the interview. I got a pm from someone randomly saying "i hope you come off the waitlist" earlier this week. I was like "what the hell was that about?" but after seeing your post I get it...

I'm assuming whoever PMed you was thinking you got stuck with Marquette even though it was not your first choice.
Anyway, I'm not too worried about what happens at Marquette ... as you can probably see in my sig.:D

I'm assuming whoever PMed you was thinking you got stuck with Marquette even though it was not your first choice.
Anyway, I'm not too worried about what happens at Marquette ... as you can probably see in my sig.:D

Lol, what happened to your signature? Its gone, are we supposed to assume anything by that?

atticus- can you elaborate about the internal politics and BS?
Obviously, I'm not Atticus, but I have a small example. I did fairly well on the DAT (21/21/21), my grades are competitive and my ECs are amazing. I applied to Creighton and never heard a thing. I have a friend, whose dad is a Creighton Alum who has much worse stats that I have and virtually no ECs who was interviewed and accepted. So there's a quick example of the politics. I called the admissions director and he told me I needed mid-20's on the DAT to be competitive while my friend had an 18. After hearing this bs I'm actually glad I'm not going to Creighton.

Lol, what happened to your signature? Its gone, are we supposed to assume anything by that?

Lol, no assumptions need to be made. The sig only appears once per page and since I previously posted it is a few posts up.

He felt that overall, the faculty didn't really put any effort into accomodating the students, and many the professors military backgrounds show through in their instruction. There was a little more, but he pretty much just told me to stay away unless it was my only option. I wish I could remember more of what he said but I don't want to put words in his mouth that aren't true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously, I'm not Atticus, but I have a small example. I did fairly well on the DAT (21/21/21), my grades are competitive and my ECs are amazing. I applied to Creighton and never heard a thing. I have a friend, whose dad is a Creighton Alum who has much worse stats that I have and virtually no ECs who was interviewed and accepted. So there's a quick example of the politics. I called the admissions director and he told me I needed mid-20's on the DAT to be competitive while my friend had an 18. After hearing this bs I'm actually glad I'm not going to Creighton.

Wow, just wow! If this is true, thats ridiculous and I know Creighton's acceptance stats for the DAT's are not mid 20's, what a ridiculous comment. Im not saying Im special or anything but I was surprised not to hear a word from them.

Milwaukee sucks! Nothing to do here! Well I take that back you can go to a bar on 16th or you can go to a bar on 17th or you can go to a bar 3rd or maybe if you feel like doing something a little different you can go to a bar on Water. (All bars here suck, but I'm sure you know that)

Its nice someone posted positively about the school, I mean I felt the same way as an APPLICANT. As a STUDENT IN MY SECOND YEAR I can safely say that HONESTLY Marquette is a pretty horrible school. Btw you can get a cleaning with you dentist before you go to D school and get as much experience as we did our D1 year. :laugh: freshmen... jk but not really...

MarquetteDental, i am a little shocked by how much you obviously don't like Marquette. I am on the waitlist there and from what I have gathered from everyone on here and other applicants is that Marquette is a great school. You're the first I am hearing have anything negative to say. Could you expound a little more so that I can get a better idea of why I might not want to go there. It's a lot of money and I don't want to make the wrong choice. Any information is helpful! Thanks!

Marquette is a great school. Very updated facilities. A good friend of mine goes there and she loves it.

sorry no im a student...
IMG_0754.jpg
Doc
Doc
mq.jpg

Marquettedental is 100% wrong and is not being truthful. I applied to several school and was accepted to more than one and I came to Marquette because it was one of the best in the country.

Let me tell you first off that I am a D2, my ID looks a little different then this dope's ID. Notice that its a little lighter for the D2's. Match it to the D1's in the picture I am attaching. Also notice the wear and tear on their ID as opposed to mine, this ID sure looks like a newer set. Mine is already wearing out from swiping so much.

Also on marquettedental's perio paper the code reads DEIN 7114, this is the new class codes indicating this person is a current D1. If this person were a current D2 then it would read DENT 411 which is the old code that was changed as of this year.

This person is spreading rumors about the school that are NOT TRUE, they are probably trying to do their friend a favor by scaring people off that are accepted here so that their own friend sitting on the waitlist can get a shot at coming here. Not going to work!

Marquette is awesome and I will tell you why:
1-Marquette works hard to make sure you get a lot of clinical exposure. In your first semester you will be in the clinic doing a variety of things. First they will have you assist other students. This helps so you get a feel for how the clinic runs, where stuff is at, how to interact with patients and many other things. Second you will probably have a rotation through radiology. There you will learn how to take x-rays using the latest digital technologies. After a few days of learning they will give you your own patients and you will do a full mouth series of x-rays. Nobody holds your hand or does it for you, you have the opportunity to do it on your own.

2-Part of that clinical experience is the famous Marquette dentures course. This course is taught using live patients rather then the mannequin in the sim-lab. You and a lab partner are assigned a real, live, breathing patient and by the end of your 3rd semester here you will have a full set of dentures for them. This is a great experience for a 1st year dental student

3-By the end of your first semester you will have learned enough about Perio that you'll be ready to give a prophy. Fridays of you first semester are spent preping you so that in your 2nd semester you can give a fellow classmate a prophy and then in your summer semester of your D1 year you are turned loose in the clinic. The school assigns you patients and you have full control over them. Another excellent clinical experience in your first year! This will continue in your second year as you get more patients.

4-In your first year you have a rotation through oral surgery where you are taught how to give anesthetic to patients. You will give it to each other and then to real patients as part of the learning process.

5-Another plus is that there isn't a oral surgery program, or pedo program at the school. You'll get plenty of rotations through these departments. The school puts plenty of focus on these areas of your education so you'll come out with lots of good experience and exposure in prosth, pedo, perio, oral surgery, endo, etc. assuming you want to take advantage of that. Yes there is an endo residency her, and not anybody can rip into a tooth and do endo. If your a qualified student and you can show the residents that you know what your doing and your well prepared then they will let you have free reign on incisors, molars, and even re-treats. Plenty of experience if you are competent.

6-You will also have a chance for outreach here at Marquette. For example in my 2nd year I had a rotation where I went to a local high school. There were 4 dental chairs setup in the school where we did prophies for the students. Besides this rotation there are 2 satellite clinics setup on the Northside and Southside of Milwaukee where we go frequently. There are also many other opportunities such as the mission of mercy, or service missions to the Dominican Republic... opportunities are endless! The jist of my idea is that Marquette is prestigious for putting our top notch clinicians!

7-I have been very impressed with everyone at Marquette. I truly feel like we have been blessed with some of the best professors around. For the most part they genuinely care about you and your success as a future dentist. Their doors are always open and they are willing to help you with anything. I have come in on weekends to find a professor in the sim-lab looking over our work or helping out. There have been other times when teachers volunteer there time to have a study sessions to help prepare us for upcoming exams. Of course everything doesn't go perfect! Dental school is just like undergrad, you'll always find a subject you don't like or a professor that's not your favorite. All in all we have an awesome dental faculty.

8-Another important thing in my mind is the school listens to your feedback. Every semester we turn in course evaluations. The school takes these very serious and listens to our feedback. Also we meet with the administrators as a class at least once a year where they buy us lunch and open the meeting up for a question and answer period, complaints, or even suggestions.

9-The school also has a great IT support team that is available at all times. Obviously with all the technology we need the techno-savy gurus to take care of us. They are super helpful and always willing to lend a hand.

10-The facilities are state of the art and updated. The building was built in 2002 and has all top of the line stuff in the classrooms, operatories, conference rooms etc. When you go through the clinic you will notice that there is a computer at every operatory. We use axium and have digital records for our patients. Each clinic has digital x-ray equipment and the radiology department is all digital as well. Makes working here a lot easier.

11-One of our professors was shipped out to Iraq as part of his military obligation, but yet he was able to connect into the classroom and give a lecture. That same classroom is hooked up to an operatory with cameras. Its called the tech playroom and there are some little toys like the Cerec machine, and some lasers and other things that they can use to demo for us.

I challenge this person to be truthful and admit to their wrong doing. Our school is awesome and I will put my name on the line against theirs. Our students are some of the best in the country, they are top notch, fun to be with and all around good people.

Sky Sessions

Last edited: