Creighton vs. Miami Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattjup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My fiancé and I have been fortunate enough to both find acceptances at two similarly ranked medical schools. We are from CA and would love to match back into the state for residency. Currently, we are both not sure which specialty we will aim for. We would like to leave the door open for reaching towards a competitive specialty though. I think out gut is telling us to go to Creighton but many factors make Miami hard to pass up on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Creighton (RD rank = 61)

Pros
  • Jesuit based program (focus on service, more supportive environment)

• P/F/H grading scheme

• Cheap cost of living

• No commute necessary, can walk to class

• Better known program from a California perspective

• Option to spend 3rd and 4th year at regional campus in Phoenix

• 10 more weeks than Miami for open electives in 4th year

• Midwestern hospitality/vibe

Cons
  • COA $10k more (total for 2 people = $80k)

• Less research opportunities (NIH funding low)

• Less diverse community/student body

• Step 1 avg = 226 (6 points below Miami)

• COLD

• Less to do in Omaha

Miami Miller (RD rank = 48)

Pros
  • Cheaper ($80k total)

• Slightly better ranking

• Slightly better match list (from what I can tell?)

• Very busy hospitals with diverse population

• More research opportunities

• Weather

Cons
  • P/F with numerical scores grading system

• Surrounding area unsafe, commute necessary

• Students seem a bit more competitive and less cohesive than at Creighton

• Less time for open electives as MS4 (10 weeks less)

• Living in downtown area (dealing with noise, parking, traffic)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FYI Miami is rolling out a new curriculum which will include a simple pass/fail for preclinical

Miami. No question.
Cheaper and much better school with much better opportunities.

I am sure that there are safe places to live that are not ridiculously expensive that are a comfortable driving distance. There are a lot of medical students and residents in the area who are in a similar situation and there must be places where students can live (I know most live in a very nice building that is not too far away, but especially as a couple, you will have a lot of other options).

You can plan to move back home to CA in a couples' match for residency. Every CA residency will know Miami. Couples' matches are great bc you and your partner have more control than in the med school admissions process, but it can be hard, esp if from a lower tier school Creighton), for both of you to match at the same place. If you are both graduating from Miami, and do well in medical school, you will likely have more options in residency in a couples' match than if you are coming from Creighton. And given that Miami is cheaper, it seems like the better option.

Last edited:
Miami. No question.
Cheaper and much better school with much better opportunities.

I am sure that there are safe places to live that are not ridiculously expensive that are a comfortable driving distance. There are a lot of medical students and residents in the area who are in a similar situation and there must be places where students can live (I know most live in a very nice building that is not too far away, but especially as a couple, you will have a lot of other options).

You can plan to move back home to CA in a couples match for residency. Every CA residency will know Miami. Couples' matches are great bc you and your partner have more control than in the med school admissions process, but it can be hard, esp if from a lower tier school, for both of you to match at the same place.
Also, its miami. That's reason enough