Creighton..what you like...what you don't....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leine4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

For those of you who have seen Creighton, what do you think about the school.

Clinic, lectures rooms, campus, location......????

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if these are pros or cons. It depends on your point of view. Just some observations:
Catholic school environment, fairly small, a few professional programs, mostly undergrads
Omaha-midwestern town, good steaks
Dental students take classes together and dress up everyday, I think
No specialties, but good clinical school

Haven't been there, since they rejected me:oops:
But, I've heard good things about it. It has a good clinical reputation.

man... their students did not want to be there! Well thats a bit exaggerated... but the guy who did my tour was so bland, and uninteresting. The place was ok, cept the lecture rooms were not what i expected.. It didn't look to comfortable

It is really cheap to live there...ridiculously!

I was thinking the same thing about the lecture rooms....5 days a week/ 8 hours a day....yikes!

I will say that my tour guide was great...very friendly, and happy. Also, I had a chance to talk with a few professors. They were really nice and seemed excited for me to go there.

My only problem is that I am having some anxiety over my decision. I was also accepted to my state school (UF) and although it is a great school and 75K cheaper, I am not sure that I will like living in Gainesville for 4 years because there is nothing there but the school.

Any thoughts?

It is really cheap to live there...ridiculously!

I was thinking the same thing about the lecture rooms....5 days a week/ 8 hours a day....yikes!

I will say that my tour guide was great...very friendly, and happy. Also, I had a chance to talk with a few professors. They were really nice and seemed excited for me to go there.

My only problem is that I am having some anxiety over my decision. I was also accepted to my state school (UF) and although it is a great school and 75K cheaper, I am not sure that I will like living in Gainesville for 4 years because there is nothing there but the school.

Any thoughts?

UF for sure, hella cheaper and there is plenty to do at UF and gville not to mention what the heck do you think there is in omaha?

Haha...leine... Go to UF! Save some money because I know when that first Omaha winter can I would run with my tail between my legs back to sunny Florida! Yea and as gator said, Omaha isn't Chicago or New York :)

Good luck with your decision!

I am guessing you are undecided between Creighton and UF?

I would go where you think you would be happiest, regardless of the money. If you are miserable, but saving money, does it really make it worth it (not saying that you would be miserable at UF)? What area of the country do you ultimately want to end up in? If you like the heat and want to end up in Florida, maybe UF would be the best bet. If you actually like the cold winter Omaha would be good. I moved somewhere completely different than where I am from for undergrad and loved it while I was there and it was a nice change.

Omaha may not be New York, Chicago, or LA, but who's to say that's a bad thing? I personally would never want to live in a huge city. Less temptations and distractions for one thing. Ultimately we are going to be broke dental students who probably couldn't afford to do any of the more luxurious, extravagant things that you can in New York, Chicago, or LA. A grey goose and Red Bull in New York will taste the same as a grey goose and Red Bull in Omaha, just probably at a much cheaper price. Who's to say you can't have as much fun out with friends in Omaha as in huge city? Sorry for the rant, I'm just a small town girl and Omaha is a big city in my eyes and has way more to offer than where I am currently located, and I don't need one of those major cities to be happy. (I've never been to Gainesville, but you could probably use the same argument for it vs. a major city)

In the long run you need to be ok with your decision. I know most people on here say go to the cheapest place and they make really good points about why, and I myself am going to my cheapest option and first choice school. However if the same school would have been the most expensive I still think I would have chose to go there because I believe I will be happiest there. I don't think you can put a price on happiness.

If at all possible maybe make a last minute visit to each place again before you make your final decision if you think that might help. Go to Gainsville check it out then go to Omaha. If you decide on Creighton while in Omaha, use it as a trip to find somewhere to live.

One piece of advice, I am from Denver (which isn't a small city by any means), and Omaha is plenty large I think. I am not 100% sure, but I read that Omaha has more Fortune 500 Company HQ then any other city in America. It can't be all bad if Warren Buffet lives there; you know Warren Buffet right lol.

Yeah...I'm hoping Warren Buffent has a son my age...hahahaha! JK!

I think that I will be happiest in Omaha. I am from the midwest so the cold, although shocking at first, won't be that bad for me. I have been living in FL for a few years , but am ready to get out. UF's price is attractive and it has a well known name, but besides that, I can't think of a reason that it would be better than any other school.

My biggest worry is making a bad decision. My freshman year of college, I chose to go to the wrong school and just don't want to make the same mistake again.

Yikes.....I sound like a goofball...=)

Sounds like you made your decision... If money isn't an object then choose the school where you would feel most comfortable... That's what I am doing, I honestly didn't factor money into any of my decisions, but I'm not going to repay any loans, that's why I suggested the place that is cheaper... In the scheme of things your happiness means everything...

I would go to FL and save the $75k. That is pretty significant. You are making a decision for 4 years, not forever. Personally, I think I would prefer some nice weather. If you decide that you still want to live in the midwest after you graduate, then move back. Where is home for you? I'm guessing not Nebraska.

Yeah...I'm hoping Warren Buffent has a son my age...hahahaha! JK!

I think that I will be happiest in Omaha. I am from the midwest so the cold, although shocking at first, won't be that bad for me. I have been living in FL for a few years , but am ready to get out. UF's price is attractive and it has a well known name, but besides that, I can't think of a reason that it would be better than any other school.

My biggest worry is making a bad decision. My freshman year of college, I chose to go to the wrong school and just don't want to make the same mistake again.

Yikes.....I sound like a goofball...=)

I know how you feel. After being at UF for 4 years, I HATED Gainesville. It is very easy to get burnt out of that town, and I had to get out. It's like this little comforting bubble where so many kids get stuck and end up staying like they don't want college to ever end. I felt like leaving Gainesville was like growing up, and moving onto more important things in life. Some kids never make it out. It was very refreshing to leave, and live in a more "mature" city. Having that said, I would have been un-happy to go to dental school at UF. I chose to go elsewhere because I just could not stand the atmosphere and the city anymore.

Great advice everyone....good to hear a fresh point of view. I called my Mom and talked with her about it and I now feel more confident in my decision to go to Creighton. Major pro: close to great skiing. =)

Glad to hear you are choosing Creighton! see you in August!