Crigler-Najjar vs. physiological jaundice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some ways to tell these two apart?
-Both present in infancy with an unconjugated bilirubinemia
-Both can progress to kernicterus
-Both are treated with phototherapy
-Both have the same enzyme deficient/insufficient

Is it just the sort of thing where you assume an infant with unconjugated bilirubinemia has physiological jaundice, then if it persists after a certain point, you re-check UDP-glucuronosyltransferase levels and if they're still low after the certain age then you now have Crigler-Najjar?

Members don't see this ad.

What are some ways to tell these two apart?
-Both present in infancy with an unconjugated bilirubinemia
-Both can progress to kernicterus
-Both are treated with phototherapy
-Both have the same enzyme deficient/insufficient

Is it just the sort of thing where you assume an infant with unconjugated bilirubinemia has physiological jaundice, then if it persists after a certain point, you re-check UDP-glucuronosyltransferase levels and if they're still low after the certain age then you now have Crigler-Najjar?

Yeah, 2 weeks is the magic number. Post 2 weeks, hepatic machinery is mature and the baby should be conjugating bilirubin. Also, I consider CN worse. Usually they are talking about the Type I form that is essentially incompatible with life, so the baby ends up dying in those vignettes. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
As Dr. Sattar says in Pathoma, Crigler-Najjar sounds like an evil Disney villian, so it's bad = fatal