Crime Rate SKY HIGH at TEMPLE DENTAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcnelis911

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/89824272.html

Right in front of Temple Dental School, person was shot down last friday
this is one of numerous crimes temple dental face everyday.
Recently my friend got robbed as he was pulling of his parking spot right at the entrance of Dental school.
I was debating between Pitt and Temple but I'm definitely going to Pitt now.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently my friend got robbed as he was pulling of his parking spot right at the entrance of Dental school.

.....so a random shooting determined arguably the most important decision of your life? Hmmm. Let's hope no one gets robbed in Oakland. LOL

Last edited:
Can it be more dangerous than VCU? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
.....so a random shooting determined arguably the most important decision of your life? Hmmm. Let's hope no one gets robbed in Oakland. LOL

I don't think it's that big of a deal that the OP chose not to go to Temple based on this. That is why there are interviews and the like though. Having a chance to see the campus and where it is located and doing research about crime in the area and where you want to live is all part of the process.

I know it may be overboard but a random shooting could very well cost you your life in the future.

can you blame him? not really a random incident. becoming a victim seems more likely in philadelphia. who in their right mind would want to live in a dangerous neighborhood. the school would have to be damn good for someone to choose to live there

I don't think it's that big of a deal that the OP chose not to go to Temple based on this. That is why there are interviews and the like though. Having a chance to see the campus and where it is located and doing research about crime in the area and where you want to live is all part of the process.

I know it may be overboard but a random shooting could very well cost you your life in the future.

let's let the evening news dictate how we live! we'll all build safe rooms and drive SUVs and live in gated communities with only our McDonalds and diabetes to keep us company, FEAR AND CONSUME FEAR AND CONSUME. we'll be back with you after a message from our sponsors FEAR AND CONSUME FEAR AND CONSUME WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW CAN KILL YOU.

It wasn't a random shooting, it was people from the neighborhood who knew each other and had an argument. I highly doubt the OP has an acceptance at Temple, probably somebody on the waitlist trying to convince anyone to go elsewhere. I ride my bike to Temple every day, there have been something like 7 murders or shootings on my route since I started in the fall but I haven't felt threatened once. It is people from the neighborhood dying, sadly. Meanwhile white America is so afraid of dying that nobody is LIVIN', man.

When I interviewed there several homeless people approached me and mumbled some nonsensical words to me. I would not like to have to deal with that for 4 years. I don't see the crime easing up in that area since the economy is so bad and since North Philadelphia is notorious for crime. Last week on the news the police were looking for a guy in North Philadelphia who raped and murdered a single mother of 4 right outside of a diner. Isn't that the craziest thing you've ever heard of?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/89824242.html?cmpid=15585797

Just google "North Philadelphia Murder" and you will know what I am talking about.

Be particularly careful if you are a UPENN student visiting Temple . . .
http://thedp.com/article/attack-prompts-questions

Last edited:

Last edited:
PRECISELY, Temple is on North Broad . . . perhaps I should clarify my prior post.

Temple dental has 500+ students and is literally across the street from all the Temple med/pharm/nurse etc. student community. Pretty sure there isn't a single individual that wears a bullet-proof vest to class. It's all professional students walking around in their scrubs.
The OP wants to scare people (only 1 post) and Jeeves hates on Temple, simple as that. However I will agree that North philly is no vacation destination.

Last edited:
Temple dental has 500+ students and is literally across the street from all the Temple med/pharm/nurse etc. students. Pretty sure there isn't a single student that wears a bullet-proof vest to class. It's all professional students walking around in scrubs.
The OP wants to scare people (only 1 post) and Jeeves hates on Temple, simple as that. However I will agree that North philly is no vacation destination.

I don't "hate" on Temple, otherwise I would not even have applied and interviewed there. If I "hated" anything about Temple, it would be the crime ridden neighborhood, which is more of a North Philadelphia thing than a Temple thing, but the same can also be said about other neighborhoods, but in all honesty, of all the rough neighborhoods that I have visited (South Central, Washington Heights, Baltimore, West Philadelphia) North Philadelphia takes the cake.

I'd hate to burst the op's bubble, but I went to pitt undergrad and there were shootings and stabbings right outside "the O" on pitt's campus while I was there :thumbup:
It's like nchrist said though, I never felt threatened myself, and I suspect I will feel the same way at Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything good about Philadelphia? It seems like there is only bad news coming out of Philadelphia these days: Violent flash mobs every weekend, a UPENN dental student was stabbed, someone was shot outside of Temple Dental, McNabb was traded to the Redskins . . .

I totally agree with fact that since most school are located in urban environment the crime rate is present at some level. And, it wont be called a city without crime now and then. However, I m just saying if you had to choose between Temple U and other U, I would choose other school. Not only this recent shooting is factor about decision to not attend Temple, the crime rate is non-stop increasing in Temple U area, specially after economy had taken dive into deep waters, compare to other universities.

-Just an other Opinion

Two different shooing events in N.Philly (area of Kornberg School) same day... :/

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100402_3_wounded_in_North_Philly_shooting.html

http://cbs3.com/local/Suspects.Sought.Shooting.2.1607891.html

Haven't you ever seen a city before?

It's a big city, of course there will be crime. There are shootings everyday. Temple sounds like a nice place to practice dentistry.

I totally agree with fact that since most school are located in urban environment the crime rate is present at some level. And, it wont be called a city without crime now and then. However, I m just saying if you had to choose between Temple U and other U, I would choose other school. Not only this recent shooting is factor about decision to not attend Temple, the crime rate is non-stop increasing in Temple U area, specially after economy had taken dive into deep waters, compare to other universities.

-Just an other Opinion

Two different shooing events in N.Philly (area of Kornberg School) same day... :/

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100402_3_wounded_in_North_Philly_shooting.html

http://cbs3.com/local/Suspects.Sought.Shooting.2.1607891.html

I attend dental school in a city. Some undergraduate student was shot in the chest. A freak accident, maybe? We are sent campus alerts bi monthly, at least, about the hot shots, drunk or whoever decides to roam the street after dark who end up getting robbed at gun point, sexually assaulted, assaulted, you just have to be smart.

However, I m just saying if you had to choose between Temple U and other U, I would choose other school.

Of course you would say that, you're on the waitlist. :laugh: I really hope that this doesn't work out for you.

The attack was premeditated. They knew each other. No one died, and the assailant was already apprehended. Look, the same reason why Temple is such an excellent clinical school is the reason why there is crime. Low income area are known to have above average crime rates. The crime is still committed by a few while most of the people in the area are good hard working people that will urgently seek dental care at the school. For this reason Temple is an excellent program where you will never have to fight over patients.

No matter where you go for school, you will find crime. Most schools are in the city, but that doesn't mean you have to live in the city. Go to school and go home. Don't stick around and allow yourself to become victimized and you'll be fine. Temple is a great program. Come find out for yourself.

Last edited:
Ironic.

Campus alert

"At 9:40 March 5th, a student was the victim of an attempted robbery and stabbing."

You never wish this on anyone, but this is what happens in intercity areas.

When I went to NYU in the late 70's early 80's a guy walked out of Bellevue across the street and started randomly stabbing people in the street. He passed right by the D school and stabbed one of the professors. The next week an irate vet shot a doc at the VA hospital also across the street. Spent the next 4 years not worrying about anything other than getting out of dental school. Random stuff happens. We have to go on our merry way not worrying, otherwise we would never be able to accomplish anything.

Have people in office buildings stopped working?

What I am really curious about is how mcnelis911, the originator of this thread, was banned after only 2 posts???

What I am really curious about is how mcnelis911, the originator of this thread, was banned after only 2 posts???
Waitlisted a Temple, probably dual accounts.

Desperate.

Waitlisted a Temple, probably dual accounts.

Desperate.

Temple is a good school if you want to try and open your own practice right away, which is really tough. If you want to specialize, work for someone else's practice for a few years or get into a residency somewhere nice like UCLA, then you're pretty screwed. Forget it if you want to get into ortho or oral surgery.

^^^ wrong

Compared to the better schools, like Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, UCLA, etc., where the specialization and GPR/AEGD rates after graduation are really impressive, Temple scores really low. I think at my interview, I was told that something like 30% of students can land a specialization or GPR/AEGD after graduation. Actually, 30% might be generous.

Temple is a good school if you want to try and open your own practice right away, which is really tough. If you want to specialize, work for someone else's practice for a few years or get into a residency somewhere nice like UCLA, then you're pretty screwed. Forget it if you want to get into ortho or oral surgery.

Because UCLA is known for having amazing residencies?

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. School choice likely has minimal to no effect on success in specializing and there's a good body of research out there to support that assertion.

Last edited:
Because UCLA is know for having amazing residencies?

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. School choice likely has minimal to no effect on success in specializing and there's a good body of research out there to support that assertion.

In my experience, UCLA is more selective and that may be because of its location and not its academics. In terms of success in specializing, I have the stats from the schools I interviewed at and schools like Harvard, Upenn and Columbia have rates that exceed 90%. I did not receive any documentation from Temple or Nova but one of the admins at Temple told me that he believed the specialization rate to be about 30% or so. Just sharing what I know. Do you know what the specialization rate at Temple is? If so, please share.

What? :confused:

I have over 10 friends who graduated from Temple dental and most of them opened their own practice within 2 years of graduating. None of them were able to land a specialization, a few of them worked for another practice, but only briefly, for whatever reason. They all ended up opening a part time practice while doing part time work elsewhere. Maybe they are in the minority. If you know anything else, please share. I personally do not know anyone from Temple that is in Ortho and they wouldn't tell me in my interview. I know that the Ivies have double stats for how many of their grads that go into ortho or OMFS, which is really impressive since they are the most competitive.

I have over 10 friends who graduated from Temple dental and most of them opened their own practice within 2 years of graduating. None of them were able to land a specialization, a few of them worked for another practice, but only briefly, for whatever reason. They all ended up opening a part time practice while doing part time work elsewhere. Maybe they are in the minority. If you know anything else, please share. I personally do not know anyone from Temple that is in Ortho and they wouldn't tell me in my interview. I know that the Ivies have double stats for how many of their grads that go into ortho or OMFS, which is really impressive since they are the most competitive.

So all 10 of your friends who graduated from Temple all applied to specialties and were rejected? And they were all also accepted to Ivy league schools and chose Temple instead?

Did you know that in every summer, the rate of drowning deaths increases? Do you know what else increases? Popsicle sales. I don't eat popsicles because they cause you to drown.

Reactions: 1 user
So all 10 of your friends who graduated from Temple all applied to specialties and were rejected? And they were all also accepted to Ivy league schools and chose Temple instead?

Did you know that in every summer, the rate of drowning deaths increases? Do you know what else increases? Popsicle sales. I don't eat popsicles because they cause you to drown.

Precisely. They couldn't even land a GPR or AEGD residency. They did not get into any Ivies, that's why they went to Temple. I love popsicles.

Precisely. They couldn't even land a GPR or AEGD residency.

This is how I know you aren't telling the truth.

They did not get into any Ivies, that's why they went to Temple.

Now you've hit on a key point. In general, the "top schools at getting people into residencies" you've mentioned all happen to select incredibly intelligent students. Is it just me, or based on that statement alone is it not *****ic to give credit to the schools if all they've done is pick better students?

This is how I know you aren't telling the truth.

Now you've hit on a key point. In general, the "top schools at getting people into residencies" you've mentioned all happen to select incredibly intelligent students. Is it just me, or based on that statement alone is it not *****ic to give credit to the schools if all they've done is pick better students?

Let me rephrase that. They couldn't land GPR/AEGD residencies at their preferred locations, so they didn't bother.

You think they'd be able to do more with the power of prescience than just dentistry. SO what you're saying is, they didn't apply? Like I asked above?

They were not accepted (i.e., they applied for and were rejected) into their choice GPR/AEGD residency destinations so they decided to look for work right away.

They were not accepted (i.e., they applied for and were rejected) into their choice GPR/AEGD residency destinations so they decided to look for work right away.

All "10" of them. I find it surprising that you not only know 10 dentists, all of whom own their own practices (geographically that's a bit of a stretch), but that all of them went to Temple, and not only that, all of them applied for and were rejected from GPRs/AEGDs (Which, by the way, is not how the dental residency application process works, it's a match process), and decided not to attempt a post-match because of geographical reasons.

Seem a little coincidental to anyone else?

All "10" of them. I find it surprising that you not only know 10 dentists, all of whom own their own practices (geographically that's a bit of a stretch), but that all of them went to Temple, and not only that, all of them applied for and were rejected from GPRs/AEGDs (Which, by the way, is not how the dental residency application process works, it's a match process), and decided not to attempt a post-match because of geographical reasons.

Seem a little coincidental to anyone else?

Over 10 people. Some of them aren't even practicing dentistry, I have no clue what they're doing. The rest of them are trying to get their practices off the ground. Maybe I just have slacker friends or maybe Temple's specialization rate is low. Do you know what Temple's specialization rate is or How many Temple grads get into ortho or OMFS?

Over 10 people. Some of them aren't even practicing dentistry, I have no clue what they're doing. The rest of them are trying to get their practices off the ground. Maybe I just have slacker friends or maybe Temple's specialization rate is low. Do you know what Temple's specialization rate is or How many Temple grads get into ortho or OMFS?

I don't, because school choice is irrelevant in specializing. Call up a few program directors (across the nation to adjust for geographic differences) and ask if they actively select students from certain schools (other than their own). I'm guessing you'll be surprised.

I don't, because school choice is irrelevant in specializing. Call up a few program directors (across the nation to adjust for geographic differences) and ask if they actively select students from certain schools (other than their own). I'm guessing you'll be surprised.

I just let the numbers speak for themselves. I received the stats from Upenn, Harvard and Columbia and they all boast specialization rates above 90%. Over a quarter of Columbia's grads get into Ortho and OMFS programs, which is amazing. Personally, I would rather do a residency, which pays you, as a transition before I start working. I just spoke to one of my Temple friends and he just confirmed what I originally thought, he did not land any GPR or AEGD residencies. And he said that he applied directly to programs. Apparently, some programs are done through a matching process and some are done through a direct application. I personally don't know enough about the process to explain much more.

Last edited:
I just let the numbers speak for themselves. I received the stats from Upenn, Harvard and Columbia and they all boast specialization rates above 90%. Over a quarter of Columbia's grads get into Ortho and OMFS programs, which is amazing. Personally, I would rather do a residency, which pays you, as a transition before I start working. I just spoke to one of my Temple friends and he just confirmed what I originally thought, he did not land any GPR or AEGD residencies. And he said that he applied directly to programs. Apparently, some programs are done through a matching process and some are done through a direct application. I personally don't know enough about the process to explain much more.
Something is terribly wrong or he applied outside his number's bubble

You should really gather correct information before you get online and start bashing my School. Your information is warped.

Of the 7 graduating seniors that applied for OMFS residency this year, 7 got accepted. Most to their #1 choice. I believe we even had an International student that applied to 1 program and got accepted to it.

I don't know the stats for Ortho, GPR, AEGD currently, but when I interviewed Brian had said over 90% get in to residency programs they applied to.

You need to quit posting all of these lies and hearsay. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tufts is in a city too. This year, outside Tufts Dental, someone was hit in the head by a 2x4. That may sway some of your decisions to come here.

wow 2x4 is a much cooler story. they should outlaw 2x4s and guns. dangerous weapons

You should really gather correct information before you get online and start bashing my School. Your information is warped.

Of the 7 graduating seniors that applied for OMFS residency this year, 7 got accepted. Most to their #1 choice. I believe we even had an International student that applied to 1 program and got accepted to it.

I don't know the stats for Ortho, GPR, AEGD currently, but when I interviewed Brian had said over 90% get in to residency programs they applied to.

I dub thee, AskJeeves, Sir Powned!

I have published data from Upenn, Columbia and Harvard, while you are relying on what Brian is saying. . . and I'm the one relying on hearsay? I hope you looked up the definition of hearsay . . . There is no way that 90% of Temple grads specialize . . . and btw, Brian told me that less than half of the Temple grads specialize . . . and he emphasized that what makes Temple attractive is that its clinicals are strong and its students don't feel the need to do a residency since they have the alleged skills to perform dental work right after graduation . . . in all honesty, if dental school rankings were published and anything below the top 25 schools were considered second tier, Temple would clearly be a second tier school . . .

Last edited:
Well, hopefully you can get into UPenn, Columbia, or Harvard. Obviously you wouldn't be happy attending a "second tier" program like Temple. Although considering you have been trolling Temple's threads...