Crime Rate SKY HIGH at TEMPLE DENTAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahahaha That's the first time I've ever been called "snooty!"

and I'm not a PreDent

What rude awakening is that?

I would reply to your other postings, but armorshell already took care of that. Quick question though... I think since you have already mentioned interviewing at Temple, Columbia, Harvard, etc... Where did you get accepted? We'd all like to know that! Hopefully, you're not coming to Temple. I wouldn't want you to have to slum it.

Accepted into: Harvard, Upenn, Columbia, USC, UMD, UMDNJ, Temple, NYU, UoP, NOVA and Stony Brook
Waitlisted at: UCLA, UCSF
Rejections: None
Deposited at: Harvard, Upenn, Columbia, Stony Brook, NYU, Temple
Likely to select: Harvard (50%), Upenn (20%) or Columbia (30%)
First Choice: UCLA
Will likely end up at: Harvard or Columbia

What I liked least about Temple is the fact that there is no real undergraduate or graduate campus and that I believe it will be hard to become very well acquainted with the whole class since there is no campus. I strongly believe that the possibility to live on or very near campus and have social outlets on or near campus are an important part of the bonding process in Grad school.

Last edited:
Accepted into: Harvard, Upenn, Columbia, USC, UMD, UMDNJ, Temple, NYU, UoP, NOVA and Stony Brook

What I liked least about Temple is the fact that there is no real undergraduate or graduate campus and that I believe it will be hard to become very well acquainted with the whole class since there is no campus. I strongly believe that the possibility to live on or very near campus and have social outlets on or near campus are an important part of the bonding process in Grad school.

You must have some serious $$$ laying around and love wasting money to have put both first and second deposits down at 6 schools. Haha you were accepted to over twice as many schools as I applied to, congrats. However, we will both be attending only one dental school come fall. My advice to you is stop sitting on the acceptances for schools in which you have no desire to attend (i.e. non ivy schools) so people have more time to make arrangements when pulled from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard (50%), ...Columbia (30%)
So you will have 80% chances of meeting an Ortho resident from NYUCD Class of 2010…it's a small world, isn't it?

If anyone is still interested in the topic of attending Temple and specializing, the following posts may be of interest. (Disclaimer: I am not trying to represent any particular views but I am just posting these for those who may be interested):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7518933&postcount=12
http://www.premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=221730&postcount=26

Also, availability/unavailability of specialty placement statistics is by no means an indicator of the caliber of schools. The University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry, for example, does not seem to publicly publish specialty placement statistics. UofT's admissions stats are as impressive as those of HSDM (64 matriculated students; Mean GPA 3.83; Levels of university education: 23 Master's, 2 Ph.D.). Ironically, the same source cited previously to label NYUCD as a "lower tier" school lists UofT as one of the best 10 dental schools, despite the unavailability of publicly available specialty placement data.
http://toptennation.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-10-best-dental-schools-in-us-and.html

If you are intent on finding "published" sources regarding Ortho match stats from NYUCD, there is an indirect way of looking up the information. OKU Omega Chapter publishes the names of its inductees every year in its bulletins. NESO's newsletters also contain limited information about the profile of the first year ortho residents at some programs. By comparing these two sources, you can actually verify the fact that a fair number of NYUCD graduates pursue their career in orthodontics. To respect SDN's TOS, I am not posting direct links to these documents as they contain actual names of the OKU inductees and ortho residents.

I'm sorry for digressing from the original topic again, but I just wanted say that, based upon my personal experience with NYUCD's predoctoral education and the specialty placement statistics that I am aware of (which are not "published" but are still verifiable), the school does not deserve to be labeled as a "lower tiered" school. If you do not have any personal experience with NYUCD's predoctoral education, you really do not have enough information upon which to base your judgment as to whether or not the school provides good opportunities for those who want to specialize. Again, my sole intention here is to share the information I have that some may find to be helpful.

Last edited:
People, please be more diligent about checking your sources. This is a BLOG lacking even the tiniest shred of educational rigor. The only methodology they used to determine their rankings are "what a couple of dental frat mates thought the top ten were", so in essence, none.

Haha, I put the link not as a source of reliable info, but to prove my point that how unreliable the source is :). I just thought it was ironic that the same website could be used to argue something completely opposite. Sorry if you didn't get it.

Congrats on getting in.

Make up your mind quickly though, others are waiting who haven't gotten in anywhere. Might as well cancel your Temple deposit since you don't like it. It would make someone's day!

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio... Guidelines Traffic Rules for AADSAS 2007.pdf

f) Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by May 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After May 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on May 1of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable time-frame to complete their enrollment process.

LOL, Back to the point peoples.

OP must have posted this in the Templ 2014 facebook page too. Definitely getting desperate.

On another note, while I do agree philly is in a *very* rough area, you should remember that it isn't like you're going to be hanging out in the area. Most will be in center philly or in the burbs.

I was very, VERY impressed with Temple when i visited. It definitely surpassed my expectations.

Also, you will be what you want. it doesn't matter if you went to county college, harvard, fashion school, or didn't go to school period. Set you goals and with the tools you have access to (in this case dental school) make it happen!

Goodluck to everyone!

Congrats on getting in.

Make up your mind quickly though, others are waiting who haven't gotten in anywhere. Might as well cancel your Temple deposit since you don't like it. It would make someone's day!

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio... Guidelines Traffic Rules for AADSAS 2007.pdf

f) Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by May 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After May 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on May 1of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable time-frame to complete their enrollment process.

Your wish has been granted. I am now down to choosing between the Ivies. Any thoughts?

I am now down to choosing between the Ivies. Any thoughts?
I strongly believe that the possibility to live on or very near campus and have social outlets on or near campus are an important part of the bonding process in Grad school.
If this is important to you, HSDM is an excellent choice. Around school there are many options like Vanderbilt Hall, Trilogy, 1330 Boylston, Longwood Galleria, Back Bay Manor, etc. I like Boston as much as I like NYC. Good luck.

Wow... you have 6 deposits?? Go to Harvard!

Askjeaves you talking about stuff you obviously know nothing about. Temple Dental Class of 2010 had about 7 or 8 people go into OMFS (Montefiore, Chicago, Jefferson (philly), Army), quite a few go into Ortho and others that got into good GPRs. Some did Pedo with no problem. You can specialize out of Temple just as easily as most other schools.

In one of your most recent posts you said you're going to dental school for social outlets and bonding. You're going to dental school for the wrong reasons if that's your focus. Yeah you'll make some good friends but a lot of dental school is individual. Your bonding with classmates is not going to help you on your practicals or in the clinic.

lol blast from the past! Troller!

Just stickin up for my school.

I don't care about crime rate, you can find them anywhere you go. If Temple calls me in, then I am going there. Peace