ferral

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey Everyone,

Just finalizing my list of schools to apply to....

So, is anyone in Louisiana/going to LSU/been there?

I've been told that crime/murder rates in Louisiana are pretty high. Is this an issue in Baton Rouge? :(

What about the weather? (I admit, I would rather be too hot than too cold!)

Impressions of LSU? Seems like they have a good balance of PBL and traditional lecture in the first 2 years. :)

Thanks!

athenaparthenos

Western U C/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Pomona, CA
willamette.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
You can google crime rates extremely easily.

Weather is... gah. I remember as a kid visiting LA from South Carolina, where we were used to extremely humid summers, and still being overwhelmed in the middle of a summer's day. It's not just hot, it's like a sauna. The air feels moist and heavy and I'm so glad I'm out of a humid climate now, lol... it seriously weighs on you to the point that it is dangerous to do heavy exercise. Just like you can find it hard to breathe in a sauna or a really hot shower, it can be the same way down there. And the insects. Sooo many insects down south, lol.

Can't help you with the school itself though, just my memories of it being smotheringly hot.

Truth74

DVM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Champaign Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
I have relatives in a few parts of louisiana, (hammond, baton rouge, metairie, kenner...I could go on). I've lived there over several summers and holiday breaks. The majority of my family lived in new orleans before the hurricanes.

A lot of my family moved back to new orleans. As a matter of fact, both of my grandmas are rebuilding homes. One by SUNO and another on the north east side of town.

With every city, there are certain areas you don't want a flat tire, but with a little listening to the gut, you should be fine.

A little word on snow. When it falls, people lose their minds. They don't know how to deal with it. They don't know how to drive in it. The entire town will shut down. They rarely if ever see the stuff, so they freak out a whole lot. Just bear with it.

Here's the wiki on the city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_rouge
Here are the crime rate stats. http://brgov.com/dept/BRPD/csr/

Oh and by the way, Geaux Tigers!

About the Ads

heyday

LSU SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Louisiana
latech.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I've lived in LA my whole life. The weather usually has at least 50% humidity. It is hot, soggy weather. The weather also shifts rapidly, being 60 one day and 80-85 the next. During the winter it usually stays above 40, but there are the few times when it gets into the 20s and 30s. Truth74 is exactly right about the snow. I don't know about crime in BR, as I've never lived there.

ferral

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I've lived in LA my whole life. The weather usually has at least 50% humidity. It is hot, soggy weather. The weather also shifts rapidly, being 60 one day and 80-85 the next. During the winter it usually stays above 40, but there are the few times when it gets into the 20s and 30s. Truth74 is exactly right about the snow. I don't know about crime in BR, as I've never lived there.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!

Heyday - congrats on your acceptance! What was your impression of LSU SVM during your interview? (I assume you interviewed because you are IS, right?) Thanks!!

RazorDoc2010

Mizzou 2011
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Last year when we went there for Open House/AR interviews, I heard on the news that violent crime had increased 3% since Katrina. From people I know there, there are definitely parts you don't want to be stuck in, but overall it sounds like a great place.

Weather: More hot and humid than you can even imagine.

Culture: AWESOME! There are few states in the US that have a unique identity like louisiana.

Capella

OK-State 2011
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
When I went down for interviews I absolutely loved the town of Baton Rouge, everybody smiles at you and greets you, and I felt comfortable and at ease. We drove around and explored a good deal of the city, and its really neat (remember this is coming from a country bumpikin).

However, when I talked to students, many said they loved LSU, but hated Baton Rouge. More than one student I talked to had their apartments broken into and most of their things stolen. Apparently the thieves stay outside your house/apartment and break in after they see you leave. I believed their story because almost every house has one of those ADT signs out front in the yard.

And this isn't just a problem because of Katrina. My local veterinarian went to LSU in the early eighties, and he was burglarized, along with many of his classmates. He told that four of his female classmates shared a house together. One night a girl went to the bathroom and there was a burglar in there. He made her stay quiet as the other guys robbed their house.

I used to think I would probably still feel safe if I lived there, but just wouldn't get too attached to my stuff. But then I heard about the two graduate students that were murdered when the thieves followed then into their apartment…

Be sure to get in contact with many students about this and get their input.

cowperson

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
The vet school is a half mile downwind from a sewage treatment plant and about 5 miles downwind from the refineries. Its the beginning of what they call "cancer alley". If you got into another school, I would recommend going to that other school and not LSU; if you're a heavy drinker, big partier or a football fan, go to LSU. If you've never been to the deep south, its very different and not something that can be prepared for.
As for crime, someone gets shot in BR every night, but not near campus. Its not exceptionally bad near where the school is, but there were the murders of those poor graduate students in December and at one point BR had 2 serial killers frequenting the LSU campus area, who have been caught.

heyday

LSU SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Louisiana
latech.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thanks, ferral! I thought the vet school itself was nice; I've seen it and toured it several times.

I will say that I fully intend to carry some type of protection with me wherever I go, seeing as crime since Katrina has increased some. I think the major thing is that when you look for a place to live, don't trade-off prices/location for safety. Live somewhere with an alarm, be alert, etc.

ferral

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thanks for all the replies!

Wow... read that article :scared: The scariest part is that it was right on the outskirts of campus!!

I'm still on the fence... I mean I live in a somewhat large city where there is comparable level of crime to other large cities so I am used to being concerned about theft and about what neighborhoods I find myself in late at night... However, being in a smaller city/town with a serial killer somehow scares me more! :laugh:

sheep girl

LSU SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
The vet school is a half mile downwind from a sewage treatment plant and about 5 miles downwind from the refineries. Its the beginning of what they call "cancer alley". If you got into another school, I would recommend going to that other school and not LSU; if you're a heavy drinker, big partier or a football fan, go to LSU. If you've never been to the deep south, its very different and not something that can be prepared for.
As for crime, someone gets shot in BR every night, but not near campus. Its not exceptionally bad near where the school is, but there were the murders of those poor graduate students in December and at one point BR had 2 serial killers frequenting the LSU campus area, who have been caught.

This is a very unfair statement about LSU. It would be intresting for cowperson to compare the cancer rates of other large cities where vet schools are located and Baton Rouge. And, I would think it would be more fair to state that any Division 1 school = students that drink alcohol & have a high involment in sports related activities. Furthermore, LSU is not the only University that has been plagued by numerous serial killers. There have been many more recient ones in the news in the past year at other Universities.

LSU is a strong school public school and Baton Rouge offers southern hospitality at its best. Yet, like all somewhat large cities, Baton Rouge has problems. I just do not think you should be scared to choose LSU or another location in the south.

DocW2012

LSU SVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
However, being in a smaller city/town with a serial killer somehow scares me more! :laugh:

I would not get the impression that Baton Rouge is a smaller city/town. The city of Baton Rouge has a population around 230,000 people and East Baton Rouge Parish has a population around 420,000. This actually makes Baton Rouge the 2nd largest city in LA behind New Orleans. I was also under the impression that Baton Rouge was a smaller college town until I visited.

I enjoyed Baton Rouge when I was there to visit and see the school. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, everywhere that I went. I never felt like I needed to look over my shoulder walking around the city. I have been in other cities (not just large cities) for a much shorter amount of time where I felt like I needed eyes in the back of my head.

But I would definitely take a trip out there if possible to get a feel for it yourself. I was not going to go visit the school initially, but I am glad that I did because that is where I decided to go. Good Luck with applying!

FelineFanatic

New to Mizzou
10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2008
AR
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I was recently accepted into LSU SVM & it was in the running until the end. I narrowed it down to there & Missouri & chose MU because I myself did not want to live in BR for 4 years. I visited twice last month & once last year & LSU is a terrific school, which happens to be located in a city populated with a quarter of a million people. With any city that size, you are going to have increased crime rates, traffic, & cost of living. In the end, I made my decision primarily on where I wanted to live. (MU is closer to home & more similar in size to where I live now). The deep south is certainly a different culture (& climate!), but not necessarily bad. On the plus side, it is only 45 min from New Orleans & you get off for Mardi Gras! :hardy:

BR aside, the students, faculty, & staff at LSU couldn't be more accommodating. I have visited 7 vet schools & they were among the friendliest. The dean even called me personally to offer me a "contract" spot and then took the time to give me a personal tour of the school over spring break. He was very interested in making sure I decided on the school that was right for me.

I did talk to some current students who love the school, but not the city. I also was told many students had apartments broken into. I would definitely recommend visiting the school and city to see for yourself. I would also give more weight to what BR residents and current LSU students have to say, as I have only spent a total of 1 week in BR. So I can only share my brief impression. Take it with a grain of salt.......:p Sorry to ramble.

Etherealsheep

Mizzou CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
I'm in the exact same boat as FelineFanatic. I chose MU because I felt like it would be a better fit for me. However, I worked for a vet who LOVES LSU, and LSU was a close second. Visit it and see if you feel it would be a good fit. Wherever you go, you'll still graduate as a vet ;) So go where you think you will be happiest :D Best of luck to you!

whitefang2012

Iowa State CVM '12
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
CT, NY, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I just got back from visiting LSU (have to decide between there and ISu)and I actually really like the area. I didnt notice it being as run down as I expected(especially after these threads..) Anyways I have a dif. thread comparing ISU and LSu so I'll just quote to make it easier (broken hand and hard to typoe)

thanks so much everyone! actually, everyone's advice here has helped quite a bit!! im glad to know there are people coming next year to ISU who are so excited!

strangely, i am still leaning toward ISU after visiting LSU - but not for the reasons I imagined. What i loved about ISU was that everyone was friendly and willing to help you out, plus the students, staff, and faculty were so welcoming! Everything was so well organized when i went there, and everything is so close to campus - yet there seems to be enough to do onthe odd day out when you have time to relax. Not to mention, the school is expanding, they have alot of new equipment, and your right the laptops are sweet (even though i could buy my own its nice to have 90% of the notes of my computer for me where i cant misplace a paper).

I am orginally from NYC area so im used to the hustle and bustle of the city and thought that was what attracted me to Baton Rouge, LA...and that the school was very nice. The thing I was worried about was the living situation. When I went there, it actually seemed a rather safe place and in fact I bet I would love living there (although it is quite hot and humid even in April...which being from Russia and NY would take a bit of getting used to). The school has its reptuation made - but I felt like it was somewhat in a stalemate at the moment. I don't want to say anything negative about the school, but I really felt that the guy who gave me the tour wasn't well prepared (he wasnt a vet student or vet...) and he couldnt give me lots of answers about the classes/rotations/specific vet questions. He was however really nice, and I cant complain about everyones southern hospitality. Also, they had some new machines - but seemed to be lacking faculty to run certain rotaitons (oncology was down for 5 months because they couldnt find an attending). Or they are on limited accredation (still unsure what this is but am gonna look more into it tomorrow) because of a problem with the large animal isolation ward. The guy actually seemed happy about it saying that it would help the school get the funds from the government. I'm unsure if the lack of funds for their different projects (they also want to build a new wildlife area but lack funds for at least 7-8 years) is because of the LA economic situation after the hurricane, a slight decline in the school, a beaurocratic thing...or whatever. However, the area is really nice, New Orleans is about an hour away, the airport is larger, and in general it is more of the big city feel I am used to.

However, when comparing the two schools - I am still leaning to ISU (if not more so!) because they seem to be getting better and trying hard as a school to get students to excel, and get the best students who will try harder as opposed to just accepting that someone will take their place (giving me packets and packets of information vs. me having to find my own little booklet on LSU's vet school). Also, I enjoy southern hospitality - but I am from the North and used to "doing my own thing" and its sometimes hard for me to stop rushing. In Iowa I felt everyone was warm and friendly, but less intrusive in a sense and I really liked that. The only downside to ISU is that its a bit of a much smaller town, and that there is less of a Jewish population (and although everyone is very accepting there...itd be nice to find a place to at least spend the holidays nearby instead of flying to NY).

I will be looking more into the limited accredation as well as the different rotation both schools have to offer to make my final decision but I am about 65% sure that I will probably be going to ISU in the fall. I just loved the people, the school, and the enviornment there.

I'll update you guys with what I find and tell you my final decision. Thanks again for everyones input. And btw, all you guys are right, all the schools are pretty much the same - its just the concentrations differ somewhat from school to school...but you can always compensate with rotations and I dont mind doing an internship/residency.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.