Criminal Background Check - I have a charged case that was dismissed.

Aug 31, 2016
Hi.
I want to know how should I approach this.
About 6 years ago I was charged with a shoplifting misdemeanor. Eventually it was dismissed and expunged. I did not know that my friend was stealing stuff while we were shopping together and the cops decided to charge me too after I told them I was his friend. I was able to prove my innocence (with the record from the store security camera) however I still had to go through the whole court process and I was fingerprinted by the cops. I read that some of the schools even ask if you were "charged" on the secondary app, while the AADSAS app only asks for "convicted" history. Even if I explain the situation would they even believe what really happened? Anyone have any knowledge about this kind of case? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 6, 2013
Fhloston Paradise
Status
Dental Student
Why wouldn't they "believe" an official court record stating the case was dismissed? If it was dismissed the admissions committees have no right to hold it against you

Reactions: whaleofatale

Mason91

5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Hi.
I want to know how should I approach this.
About 6 years ago I was charged with a shoplifting misdemeanor. Eventually it was dismissed and expunged. I did not know that my friend was stealing stuff while we were shopping together and the cops decided to charge me too after I told them I was his friend. I was able to prove my innocence (with the record from the store security camera) however I still had to go through the whole court process and I was fingerprinted by the cops. I read that some of the schools even ask if you were "charged" on the secondary app, while the AADSAS app only asks for "convicted" history. Even if I explain the situation would they even believe what really happened? Anyone have any knowledge about this kind of case? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I saw a thread regarding this a few days ago but I heard that even if the charge has been dismissed, it will show up on some thingamabob I can't remember, but the people who replied said you don't have to come clean as long as the secondary's don't ask the "Have you ever been charged..." question. Otherwise, you have to come clean and explain. Or at least that's what I read here.

Moose A Moose

7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Applying to medical school, it's highly unlikely to show on their background check (if truly EXPUNGED).

However, it will be seen come residency application time. You have no legal obligation to report this to medical school. It also will not hold you back getting your license to practice. This charge isn't a felony or assault.

If you want to be completely transparent and tell them, you're now knowingly running an added risk of getting flagged, or at least them asking about it (although if you're a good candidate, and have a quality "lesson learned" story, you should be gravy).

Choice is yours.

OP
R
Aug 31, 2016
I've read that if it was expunged you are legally entitled to answer no to those questions unless applying for a government agency or a law enforcement. ie. teachers, hospital workers, engineers, etc. all of them are entitled to answer no.