Criminal Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robnon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was accepted to medical school and they run criminal background checks on all matriculants. I have a minor traffic misdeamenor (non-DUI) that I disclosed and explained in my AMCAS application. It came up in one of my interviews, but they seemed sympathetic and I was accepted so that is a good sign. I am not sure if it will even show up on a criminal history check, unless the company checks driving records as well. My question is, do you think this could still have a negative effect on me? I mean I did disclose and they accepted me so it shouldn't be a suprise if it shows up. I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I am just worried and paranoid about something going wrong now that I finally have an acceptance (clearly I am a pessimist). I guess my concern is that it seems as though schools run these checks for clinical rotations and licensing purposes, so it may still show up as a flag. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

If it was a misdemeanor it will show up because it is criminal. But if you disclosed it you should be fine...

You're fine. Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was a misdemeanor it will show up because it is criminal. But if you disclosed it you should be fine...

This is false. There is a distinction between traffic misdemeanors and criminal misdemeanors. Im not sure if both will show up on a CBC or not. It will depend on the specific CBC the school uses. For instance, in my state, only situations in which you were arrested and fingerprinted for will show up on a CBC unless they also check driving records.

I'm guessing you're probably fine if you disclosed it. I mean, for one thing, it would be kind of unethical for the school to suddenly decide to 'unadmit you' based on evidence that they should already have considered. Probably you'd have pretty good grounds for a lawsuit if they rescinded your admission based on information that was readily available to them when you applied.

Now if you suddenly started failing your classes, that's a different matter.

But you've already provided them with the information they needed.

:luck::luck::luck:

This is false. There is a distinction between traffic misdemeanors and criminal misdemeanors. Im not sure if both will show up on a CBC or not. It will depend on the specific CBC the school uses. For instance, in my state, only situations in which you were arrested and fingerprinted for will show up on a CBC unless they also check driving records.

i agree

i have a crap load of speeding tickets, and nothing showed up on my CBC:D

best way to answer this is, were you arrested? did they finger print you? If yes to these question then it will show up on your background check regards of if it is a misdemenor. I have something show up on my background check even though it was not a misdemenor or felony, in fact not even a crime. I was arrested once, and therefore it is on my background check.

It is my understanding that arrests should not show up on background checks UNLESS THEY LEAD TO A CRIMINAL CONVICTION. In fact I was arrested (during a protest), fingerprinted, held in jail, and the whole deal, but eventually my charges were dropped (leaving me without any kind of criminal record). I have already completed my background check for one of the schools where I have been accepted, and nothing showed up at all on the background check. Only arrests that lead to some kind of criminal conviction, be it misdemeanor or felony level, should show up on your background check. An arrest is not necessarily proof that you did something wrong--false arrests happen all the time! (This is why arrests without convictions should not show up on background checks.)

Just curious, what is the website/system schools use for background checks? I feel like I see so many posts of people that have done background checks on themselves expecting to find nothing and found like a speeding ticket or something stupid like an open container on there?

I have some very good news for those who have charges show up that arent't misdemeanors or felonies. Apparently the charges will show up on the cbc but the school has some sort of filter program that only "shows" the criminal charges. I don't know if every school uses this method but the school that told me that they do this, participates in the AMCAS cbc.

best way to answer this is, were you arrested? did they finger print you? If yes to these question then it will show up on your background check regards of if it is a misdemenor. I have something show up on my background check even though it was not a misdemenor or felony, in fact not even a crime. I was arrested once, and therefore it is on my background check.

I agree with this post. This is the advice i was given directly from my state's bureau of investigation. For instance, a DUI is a traffic misdemeanor, which will show up on a CBC, because you get arrested for a DUI. However, in some states, something stupid like running a red light may also technically be a traffic misdemeanor, but only requires a fine and will not show on a CBC. (unless it includes driving records)

I am a LEO and can tell you that you are wrong at least in the state of florida. A traffic misdemeanors are still criminal offeneses even if you were not finger printed, but you were given a notice to appear that is still a written arrest. Even if your case is dropped you still have the arrest on your record.... Traffic tickets are not misdemeanors nor are other minor non-criminal offences...

It is my understanding that arrests should not show up on background checks UNLESS THEY LEAD TO A CRIMINAL CONVICTION. In fact I was arrested (during a protest), fingerprinted, held in jail, and the whole deal, but eventually my charges were dropped (leaving me without any kind of criminal record). I have already completed my background check for one of the schools where I have been accepted, and nothing showed up at all on the background check. Only arrests that lead to some kind of criminal conviction, be it misdemeanor or felony level, should show up on your background check. An arrest is not necessarily proof that you did something wrong--false arrests happen all the time! (This is why arrests without convictions should not show up on background checks.)

That is kind of true, while arrests that lead to nothing don't always show up on the NCIC, they still will show up in the county that it happened.. In order to get the arrest off your record you need to get an expungement. The arrest record will be there however it will show the charges are dropped..

Along the same line, i have a bunch of unpaid parking tickets from when I lived in missouri. They have not followed up on it, but I am concerned about the criminal background check. Does anyone think that this could be a problem?

Along the same line, i have a bunch of unpaid parking tickets from when I lived in missouri. They have not followed up on it, but I am concerned about the criminal background check. Does anyone think that this could be a problem?

Highly doubt it. I had a couple accounts of homicide in my profile when I was interviewing, and it wasn't as big a deal you'd think it was. Most of the interviewers were sympathetic, some even stating that they'd been in the same boat before.

Does anyone know if it matters at what age you committed the traffic misdemeanor?? What if it was before you were 18??

I had a stupid traffic ticket at age 17 which I later found out is technically a traffic misdemeanor in my state. Although I havent run a CBC on myself recently, I had to get a CBC for my EMT cert. and there were no problems that came up with that, so I assume that Im clean. (especially b/c for EMT cert. they should care more about traffic stuff since you will be driving a speeding ambulance)