criminal background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamMD

MS-4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted into med school and was wondering, how did your school go about doing the criminal background check? Do you just pay $5 at your states DPS and print something online or is it more complex than that?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted into med school and was wondering, how did your school go about doing the criminal background check? Do you just pay $5 at your states DPS and print something online or is it more complex than that?

I don't even think my school did a criminal background check... Are you sure yours does? If you're not sure, you could always make an anonymous call to admissions if you are worried for some reason.

I wish it was just $5. My school uses a background check company (that apparently many other schools use also), and I think it was like $40 or so. I had to input information on a secure website and pay the fee with a credit card. I have no idea what exactly the company screens for though.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Mayo the incoming students simply filled out an online form from some third party company (the name escapes me.) Prospective employees here do the same thing.

It took about 20 minutes to complete and didn't cost anything (I think). I can't say whether or not this is similar to how other medical programs go about it...

This is the the first medschool exam you have to pass: Good Luck! :luck:

I don't recall a background check. If there was one, it was done without mention and was transparent to me.

I did have to get fingerprinted for the VA though.

I don't recall a background check. If there was one, it was done without mention and was transparent to me.

I did have to get fingerprinted for the VA though.

i may be wrong, but i thought you had to sign a consent to get a background check done on you.

i may be wrong, but i thought you had to sign a consent to get a background check done on you.

You may be right. I signed a bunch of paperwork on matriculation, don't recall if that was in there or not. If it was, I didn't have to mail a check with it, it must have just been budgeted in with general fees.

Moving to Pre-Allo as this is a pre medical school issue. Allopathic medical students read and respond to questions in pre-allo and may follow and respond to this one if desired.