Akimbo752

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
BLKYN!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I had this question when I was an applicant to Med School, and it really stressed me out to the point of near death. We'll say.

It was, how do drug / alcohol charges affect your entrance into med school, and I hoped that they did not, because I have both on my record, and for my applications had to disclose them as such.

But as of yesterday, I am officially 'in' at the University of Minnesota (and have been 'in' at SUNY Downstate for some time), and had to write down the incident, a public intoxication charge in Iowa, and the other charge, though I did not have to disclose, because it is decriminalized, would still show on a background check.

That said, anyone who has had trouble with this country's archaic drug and alcohol laws, DO NOT get discouraged, you can totally get into medical school.

Whew. Best day ever.

MahlerROCKS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2005
Your Pants
Status (Visible)
"Upon the expiration of two years following conviction for a violation of this section {public intoxication}, a person may petition the court to exonerate the person of the conviction, and if the person has had no other criminal convictions, other than simple misdemeanor violations of chapter 321 during the two-year period, the person shall be deemed exonerated of the offense as a matter of law. The court shall enter an order exonerating the person of the conviction, and ordering that the record of the conviction be expunged by the clerk of the district court."

I'm almost positive that it won't be present on a background check after the 2 year period. Did you go to college in Iowa?

About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wow...finally, someone with the cajones to admit that they've had a criminal drug charge stain on their record! Everyone else here has posted that it was "their friend" or "someone they know" and is asking for them. Congrats to you :thumbup: and good luck!

RokChalkJayhawk

Muck Fizzou
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I got an MIP (Minor in Posession of Alcohol) a few years ago. When I called up the school to tell em about it, they pretty much laughed, said "Aw you're a sweetheart," and told me not to worry about it.

I think a drunk in public is OK. My buddy got one and he's at UCLA med right now so don't fret too much.

Akimbo752

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
BLKYN!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have the paperwork to get it expunged in two years, so that'll be nice. It happened while visiting friends in Iowa, something I would not recommend to anyone.

RokChalkJayhawk

Muck Fizzou
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have the paperwork to get it expunged in two years, so that'll be nice. It happened while visiting friends in Iowa, something I would not recommend to anyone.

You wouldn't recommend drinking or visiting friends in Iowa? Or how about both at the same time?

medhawk1

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

Just out of curiousity was this in Iowa City?

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Your offense sounds relatively innocuous & it's good to see adcoms being a bit more reasonable about something minor like this. However, lately there seem to be quite a few people on SDN (or their "friends" ;)) with much more serious offenses -- multiple DUIs, multiple drug convictions, etc.; these people will (and should) have a real hard time getting in.

Congratulations on your acceptance & best of luck in med school.

Akimbo752

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
BLKYN!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks guys! It was in Grinnell, and I would not recommend going to Iowa ... ever. Heh. Being in cuffs during fireworks was not my idea of fun.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.