Criminal record and medical licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pb9123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one was charged with domestic violence (No physical contact, verbal disagreement.) and it was later reduced to Disorderly Conduct in Ohio, Would this present a major obstacle to obtaining licensing as a Physician?

I mean I know it would obviously look bad, but is there any chance of getting a license?

Members don't see this ad.

If one was charged with domestic violence (No physical contact, verbal disagreement.) and it was later reduced to Disorderly Conduct in Ohio, Would this present a major obstacle to obtaining licensing as a Physician?

I mean I know it would obviously look bad, but is there any chance of getting a license?
Consult a lawyer familiar with the issue. We can speculate as pre-meds but we can't give you a definitive answer. I'd lean towards, yes, you'd have a good chance at getting a license. If DUIs can go on and get licenses sometimes, "disorderly conduct", I would guess, would be able to get them much more easily.

But again, if you're really concerned, contact a lawyer.

I agree with BBender. This question should really be addressed either by a lawyer or the state licensing office where you hope to practice. If a school or residency you are affiliated with has rotations through a VA hospital, this will most likely come to the attention of the administration because the federal govt performs a pretty rigorous background check, which can cause a hassle in the whole training process.