Criminal record (while in medical school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GetFit1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While in my 3rd year of medical school, I made a big mistake and got arrested and later convicted of a 4th degree misdemeanor (menacing). I was told by the medical school that I am temporarily dismissed for 1 year, after which I can petition to reapply in order to be reinstated into medical school.

I know there are a lot of threads on individuals with offenses in pre-med but I have not found anything for individuals while in medical school. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar boat before where they have been convicted of an offense while in medical school? If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows someone who has been, please share and give your thoughts. Do medical schools usually accept you back as long as you show them that you have grown up as a person over the past year? What kinds of things do they look at?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While in my 3rd year of medical school, I made a big mistake and got arrested and later convicted of a 4th degree misdemeanor (menacing). I was told by the medical school that I am temporarily dismissed for 1 year, after which I can petition to reapply in order to be reinstated into medical school.

I know there are a lot of threads on individuals with offenses in pre-med but I have not found anything for individuals while in medical school. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar boat before where they have been convicted of an offense while in medical school? If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows someone who has been, please share and give your thoughts. Do medical schools usually accept you back as long as you show them that you have grown up as a person over the past year? What kinds of things do they look at?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

What country do you go to school in? Is this an M.D. program or something else?

I go to school in the U.S. and it is an MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a considered an offense of violence. Menacing is giving the impression or making someone feel that you are going to cause them physical or emotional harm. Do you know anything about this type of stuff? What are my chances?

It is a considered an offense of violence. Menacing is giving the impression or making someone feel that you are going to cause them physical or emotional harm. Do you know anything about this type of stuff? What are my chances?

This can cause problems for you when it comes time to get a license. Every state that I have seen asks about convictions.

Talk to a competent atty.

It's an offense that can get expunged off your record and is considered a misdemeanor, not a felony. I asked my attorney but he did not know anything about it in terms of getting licensed.

It's an offense that can get expunged off your record and is considered a misdemeanor, not a felony. I asked my attorney but he did not know anything about it in terms of getting licensed.

Most attys have no clue how medical licensing works. I would talk to counsel who has experience in this area.

Will do. What do you know about this in terms getting reinstated back into medical school?

If you are reinstated your residency options will be limited. Less competitive specialties will be your best bet.

What are my chances on being re instated? Do you know anything about that?

So what you're saying is that you were charged with felony assault and pled to "menacing"?

To answer your question, it's going to look bad.

I love how you're dancing around describing exactly what you did.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not correct. I was charged and pled to menacing, which is a misdemeanor. I was never charged with a felony or assault. What I did was give an individual of the opposite sex the impression/feeling I was going to harm her emotionally and/or physically.

Last edited:
That is not correct. I was charged and pled to menacing, which is a misdemeanor. I was never charged with a felony or assault. What I did was give an individual of the opposite sex the impression/feeling I was going to harm her emotionally and/or physically via text and voicemail.

You were convicted based on a VM and text? What the hell did you say to her?!

That is not correct. I was charged and pled to menacing, which is a misdemeanor. I was never charged with a felony or assault. What I did was give an individual of the opposite sex the impression/feeling I was going to harm her emotionally and/or physically via text and voicemail.

Sounds like you actually did to be frank. Not really getting a lot of sympathy on this end. And this is definitely going to look bad b/c it's a felony.

That's nothing, I once killed a hitchhiker to get an erection.

Sounds like you actually did to be frank. Not really getting a lot of sympathy on this end. And this is definitely going to look bad b/c it's a felony.
It is not a felony. It is a misdemeanor.

OP sounds like a modern day Romeo.

Find something productive to do this year.

When you reapply, reapply to your school, as well as a transfer to DO and SGU.

If you get in, which is probably what will happen, finish out your degree and work on getting the record expunged

When it comes time to apply to residencies, be reasonable with your choice of specialty. If you need to explain the temporary dismissal (and what exactly it says in your record, which you need to find out), then be as vague as possible, with enough detail thrown in for it to be believable.

PS: If you menace again, don't do it where there's proof or witnesses, or do it more in the form of blackmail than physical harm.

Will do. What do you know about this in terms getting reinstated back into medical school?
Have you already been temporarily dismissed? If not, there's always the more aggressive approach of threatening them with legal action. It worked with a classmate of mine, school caved. But the alternative is the school doesn't cave and now you're screwed.

Oh yeah, and delete your posts about what exact "menacing" you did, too specific for a forum like this.

Oh yeah, and delete your posts about what exact "menacing" you did, too specific for a forum like this.

What he said was already quoted. But it can be erased if everyone who quoted him deletes it too!

thepoopologist, do you know of anybody that was in a similar situation or are you speaking from general knowledge? Also, I have already been temporarily dismissed.

Just curious as to how your school came to knowing about this. Did this all take place on campus and was the girl also a classmate? I just don't understand why your program would get involved.

thepoopologist, do you know of anybody that was in a similar situation or are you speaking from general knowledge? Also, I have already been temporarily dismissed.
Similar situation? No. But it's too your benefit to get this thread deleted and to make the most of your spare time. I've been able to identify people based off a single picture or a single fact on this forum and what's the point of rehashing what is basically a done deal. Think about your next move.

Now that's sugar coating things a bit. It is actually a fairly specific charge involving threatening someone with a deadly weapon in some way. You ****ed up OP.
From wikipedia

"It is distinct from other similar weapons-related crimes of violence such as "aggravated assault" or "assault with a deadly weapon" in that the charge of menacing requires neither an actual deadly weapon be displayed (any object wielded threateningly can be used to menace in many states), nor any actual physical contact. The display also need not be accompanied by a verbal threat; if the display of the weapon would cause a reasonable person to fear bodily harm from the perpetrator, the threat is considered to be implicit."