Criminal Records???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if having a record (DUI, reckless driving) causes medical schools to look unfavorably towards you? I know the AMCAS asks about felonies, but do most schools do background checks on misdemeanors????? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, there have been several threads about this before. I'm sure some results will come up from a search.

I believe a DUI might look real ugly, but it's still possible to get in if it at happened a while ago and you prove that you've matured since. I don't know if reckless driving hurts . I have a few points for careless driving under my belt :scared:

I believe the background checks they'll do on you include even speeding tickets. I must admit, there is a real black mark on my record from about 4 years back, and they let me in! :oops: Be prepared to explain how you're a more responsible person now!

Members don't see this ad :)
DianaLynne said:
I believe the background checks they'll do on you include even speeding tickets. I must admit, there is a real black mark on my record from about 4 years back, and they let me in! :oops: Be prepared to explain how you're a more responsible person now!

Boy looking at your MDapplicants page, that must have been a hell of a black mark. What exactly did you do?

A friend of mine received a DUI as an undergrad and applied during his senior year (I think this was a year after his DUI) and he got into his TOP choice (UVA if I remember correctly) as an out of state student.

Granted, this guy had a lot going for him (e.g. published a BOOK during his senior year), but it still goes to show, that there is ALWAYS hope! Good luck :luck:

So I guess the moral of the story is if you have a DUI or some kind of criminal record, you should probably reconsider padding your CV with volunteer hours and instead spend that time earning a Nobel Prize. A 42+ MCAT wouldn't suck either.

Just tell the interviewer that the reason you were drinking is because the application process has you so stressed out you needed a pick-me-up. Suddenly a woman at the bar, who had just finished her 12th shot of whiskey, went into labor, and you had to drive her to the hospital.

The kid is doing just great now, despite fetal alcohol syndrome, and she decided to name the kid after you, for your heroic effort.

RunnerMD said:
(e.g. published a BOOK during his senior year)
What was the book about?

Fenrezz said:
So I guess the moral of the story is if you have a DUI or some kind of criminal record, you should probably reconsider padding your CV with volunteer hours and instead spend that time earning a Nobel Prize. A 42+ MCAT wouldn't suck either.

Just tell the interviewer that the reason you were drinking is because the application process has you so stressed out you needed a pick-me-up. Suddenly a woman at the bar, who had just finished her 12th shot of whiskey, went into labor, and you had to drive her to the hospital.

The kid is doing just great now, despite fetal alcohol syndrome, and she decided to name the kid after you, for your heroic effort.

Hmm, I'm not so sure that it would be wise to imply that you deal with stress by drinking. We have enough "impaired physicians" as it is.