Crisis in college...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desiroxta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys, im a freshman at the University of Houston and it's my second semester now and im currently taking 16 hours... My first semester I took the basics: English I, HDCS, College Algebra and Sociology. My g.p.a for my first semester was 3.91 I made the deans list and I got all A's and one A-. It was really good, I thought. Now im taking 16 hours: Biology II, Pre-Cal, English II, Drama and Chemistry I (At a community college). Hopefully I am looking towards an A in pre-cal, A in drama, A- in English around a B or B+ in Bio II and as for chem I am very worried about that. on my first exam I scored a 75 my second exam I made a 59 but the lowest one gets dropped and im doing pretty bad on my labs and im just very scared I might get a C in the class cause im not understanding the material all too well... I am having such a crisis, I want to go to Dental school and im a major in Biology and if i get a C or like a B in chemistry or like a B- or B in biology that will bring my GPA down and im just so scared I have been so worried and I can't concentrate lately i get so depressed that i am sabotoging my future... Well the last day to drop Chem with a "W" is in four days and I was wondering whether I should drop it or not since chances of me getting a C are pretty high and I don't want that... So should I drop Chem? As for Biology im worried I will get a low B and that's scaring me alot also since it will affect my g.p.a... can somone please help me put my mind to rest? I know you guys are all very knowledgable can someone please explain to me that everything might be ok? I know, im very desperate but please guys I don't want to ruin my future for Dental school.... I hope you guys know how I feel... Thank you all soo much for this great forum and reading through this read... god bless!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Don't freak out
Try taking less credits and seek out help. You don't have to be the smartest person to get all A's just use the resources the school provides. Find new study habits and find out how others doing really well in class are studing.
2. Some dental schools will not accept c.c. credit for required course work. With that said there are many schools that will (check each D.schools requirements).
3. B's in some courses are okay but make up for them in others. You maybe better in bio than in chem just use your strengths.
Keep faith and hope work hard. Prioritize your life concentrate on what you value. You are just at the begining PACE yourself.

Yes, you should definitely drop if you don't think you can pull atleast a "B." You will kick yourself in the butt when it comes time to applying. It will be easier to maintain a high g.p.a instead of trying to fix a low one. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you should definitely drop if you don't think you can pull atleast a "B." You will kick yourself in the butt when it comes time to applying. It will be easier to maintain a high g.p.a instead of trying to fix a low one. Good luck

Completely agree.

thank you guys so much... Do most dental schools accept chem I and chem II lecture/lab credits from community college? Guys im having my last few tests in the upcoming weeks so please pray for me!

thank you guys so much... Do most dental schools accept chem I and chem II lecture/lab credits from community college? Guys im having my last few tests in the upcoming weeks so please pray for me!

Yes they do, but check with the school first. I know some Dental Schools don't at all (e.g. Tufts).