Quantcast

criteria for claiming state residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trustforward

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i apologize if this is truly a stupid Q, but I cannot seem to find the criteria one needs to claim state residency for applications. I grew up in NY, went to undergrad (+1 yr. of research) in CT, and have lived in RI since June. so I've been a CT/RI tax payer for 2 years; yet my license and car registration (and my parents, if it matters at all) are of NY origin. I've chosen to maintain what I have left of my NY roots with hopes that my chances of SUNY acceptance may be the slightest bit in my favor.

anyone know what exactly is required to be considered a state resident??

(crap, talk about reality check!:scared:.. thought i had at least this in the bag)

thank you in advance!!!

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
depends on the state...each has their own rules...some you can declare residency after living in the state for a year...some u cant

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i apologize if this is truly a stupid Q, but I cannot seem to find the criteria one needs to claim state residency for applications. I grew up in NY, went to undergrad (+1 yr. of research) in CT, and have lived in RI since June. so I've been a CT/RI tax payer for 2 years; yet my license and car registration (and my parents, if it matters at all) are of NY origin. I've chosen to maintain what I have left of my NY roots with hopes that my chances of SUNY acceptance may be the slightest bit in my favor.

(crap, talk about reality check!:scared:.. thought i had at least this in the bag)

thank you in advance!!!

You can find the criteria on any SUNY website: it shows up almost immediately on Google (SUNY + residency + requirement should do it). The undergraduate requirements are identical to those for medical school. They evaluate a set of criteria, and where your taxes were filed are one of them, so my guess is that you'll have to provide extra documentation to prove that year or so in RI was "temporary." Generally where you went to undergraduate school isn't counted as a change in residency, so that won't be the issue.

With what you've posted, I don't think you qualify for NY in-state right now...but if that's the case, all you have to do is move back at least one year before date of matriculation and you can apply as such. That means about July of 2007 if you want 2008 matriculation.

If you're seriously in doubt after checking the official forms, you should call the admissions department of the SUNYs this summer and ask about your specific situation. Do it after the regular cycle is finished (June-ish) and you'll find someone willing to discuss it. They're pretty nice about fielding questions like that...they did for me, which is how I know about the one year before matriculation bit.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

thank you in advance!!!

How's it going:

I was (and may still be) in a similar dilemma.

While you were in school in CT you were still considered a NY resident (for both tuition and state purposes). However, your situation becomes a little murky after you graduated and stayed in CT for one year and had to pay CT state taxes as a resident (you were there for one full fiscal year year, right?). But, having to pay state taxes in CT would not alone cause you to lose your NY residency since you maintain a NY DL and car reg. Do you vote? If so did you maintain your voters reg in NY?

Considering that you are now living and paying taxes in RI now, I think the best thing for you to do is to file taxes in both RI and NY (I live in PA right now but I also filed in CA). You can do this just to ensure that you will maintain your NY status.

hope this makes sense...typed out at work very quickly

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Always ask a school specifically what they want to prove residency as it will invariably be different everywhere you ask.

trustforward

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you thank you for your responses. I checked out SUNY's requirements last night but wasn't aware that they applied to undergrad and med alike. I will most definitely check with the admissions office during the sumer, but my primary concern was for AMCAS, and whether or not I could "legally" say I'm from NY... am I making any sense?

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate knowing others are in the same situation!

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you thank you for your responses. I checked out SUNY's requirements last night but wasn't aware that they applied to undergrad and med alike. I will most definitely check with the admissions office during the sumer, but my primary concern was for AMCAS, and whether or not I could "legally" say I'm from NY... am I making any sense?

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate knowing others are in the same situation!

You should try calling now or later in May, in that case. They'll be busy, so be nice on the phone.

Just FYI, you can put down whatever state you'd like on your AMCAS, and even on your secondaries (however, at least Downstate and SB ask how long you've been a resident). They're not going to catch you out until they ask for physical proof of residency for in-state tuition purposes once you matriculate. If they do decide you were wrong, they can revoke your acceptance. Or make you pay OOS tuition. Neither person I spoke with was very specific about which was more likely.

Krisss17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

thank you in advance!!!

I've lived in NY for 35 years and then I moved to Florida (insanity) where I have been living for almost 7 years. I want to go to SUNY SB to finish my bachelors, but my first year I'm going to be paying through the nose in OOS charges.

Frustrating!

trustforward

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should try calling now or later in May, in that case. They'll be busy, so be nice on the phone.

Just FYI, you can put down whatever state you'd like on your AMCAS, and even on your secondaries (however, at least Downstate and SB ask how long you've been a resident). They're not going to catch you out until they ask for physical proof of residency for in-state tuition purposes once you matriculate. If they do decide you were wrong, they can revoke your acceptance. Or make you pay OOS tuition. Neither person I spoke with was very specific about which was more likely.

OK, good to know I'd be safe at least for AMCAS. At this point, I'm less concerned about having to pay OOS tuition, and more with being considered a NY resident for those SUNYs that put greater emphasis on in-state applicants as a deciding factor. It's a very minor part of the overall process, but hey, I'll welcome whatever I can to weigh in my favor!!!