Criteria for selection in resdency and info about electives!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tavankitsingh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the criteria which colleges see while accepting IMG for a residency program......

plus i wanna know the difference between elective program and observership.....and is the 4th year in US medical school the same as internship in india????

Members don't see this ad.

You will find much better information in the international forum. You should ask your questiosn there

what are the criteria which colleges see while accepting IMG for a residency program......

There are many. The most common criteria used are:

Visa status
USMLE score
US Clinical Experience
ECFMG certification

plus i wanna know the difference between elective program and observership

An observership is simply you OBSERVING the practice of medicine. Practically worthless in my opinion.

An elective is completed by students (ie, you aren't eligible if you have graduated from medical school) in almost any area of medicine; usually 4 or more weeks in length. It allows for clinical experience in the US.

.....and is the 4th year in US medical school the same as internship in india????

4th year is the final year of medical school in the US. Internship in the US is the first year of training after graduation from medical school.