Criteria to be attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOk1ng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the criteria to be an attending ?
Can u become attending right after graduation?
I wonder how much knowledge base and experience they have to be an effective attending.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the criteria to be an attending ?
Can u become attending right after graduation?
I wonder how much knowledge base and experience they have to be an effective attending.
Thank You

You are an attending after you complete residency and are board eligible or certified. You can be an attending at Middle of Nowhere Memorial Hospital.

I think you are asking about how to become an academic attending. You would apply to the university of interest as an instructor or assistant professor of internal medicine.

As for community medicine, you automatically become an attending on July 1st of the year you finish residency. (assuming you don't become a fellow)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather have some independent experience or want someone with independent experience before being my attending ?

I'd rather have some independent experience or want someone with independent experience before being my attending ?

Are you a resident? If so, have you asked any of your attendings how they became attendings?

working by themselves for few years before taking on the role of attending.

working by themselves for few years before taking on the role of attending.

you would still be an attending if you did this. i think you're caught up in the semantics. being an attending is just a designation given after you complete residency (assuming you don't go on to fellowship).

you would still be an attending if you did this. i think you're caught up in the semantics. being an attending is just a designation given after you complete residency (assuming you don't go on to fellowship).

If you are not leading/overseeing the team of resident and intern,then you are either hospitalist or outpt PCP.

Attending is someone who oversees/lead resident- intern teaching team.

so My Q:

is someone qualified to take a role as attending overseeing resident and intern right after graduation?
shouldn't they be working for few years as hospitalist polishing up their skills before taking on that role

If you are not leading/overseeing the team of resident and intern,then you are either hospitalist or outpt PCP.

so My Q:

is someone qualified to take a role as attending overseeing resident and intern right after graduation?
shouldn't they be working for few years as hospitalist polishing up their skills before taking on that role

Actually the opposite is true. i think if you leave academics for
pp you get faster, but dumber. It is vital to maintain intellectual curiousity, For may (not all) teaching and being in an academic environment helps. My first and current job has me teaching residents and medical students, and also gives me non-teaching patients. Pretty cool, I think.

so My Q:

This is not true. As mentioned above, an attending is a practicing physician who has completed training. What you ar thinking of is a Teaching attending. It is not uncommon for hospitals to require that you be in practice for a few years before allowing you to be a Teaching attending in charge of a house staff team. But many hospitals do not have a service requirement. I absolutely felt qualified to oversee a resident team because I had been in a teaching role in every year of my training after intern year.

I have done hospitalist moonlighting at three different community non-teaching hospitals, and at each I was referred to as an attending.

so My Q:

You don't really understand the meaning of the word "attending". To answer your question about becoming an attending on an academic general internal medicine teaching service:

This can be done right after IM residency. The doctor will often start off with the lowest academic rank- Instructor; and advance to asst professor after a year or 2. Often academic docs rotate on and off inpt teaching services.

Chief residents in IM (at many institutions) have completed residency and serve as (and are called) attending of a general IM inpt teaching service for several months of the year. Where I trained, chiefs had the academic rank of instructor.