Critical Care Doc Allegedly Euthanizes 27 Patients with Fentanyl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
One article said:
The suit says Kavanaugh was given 1,000 micrograms of fentanyl through an IV on Dec. 11, 2017, and died within 18 minutes. The opioid is about 100 times stronger than morphine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Russian Theater Crisis involved aerosolized remi and carfentanil if I remember correctly. Pretty neat IMO.

States with death penalty
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Wyoming

ALSO
- U.S. Gov't
- U.S. Military

Versed 2-4 mg usually suffices for anxiolysis. Ten mg and they are out. Fentanyl 1000 mcg is a pretty stiff dose.

10mg Versed and 250-500mcg fentanyl is what we used for induction on cardiac cases

Reactions: 1 users
Granted those doses are super high, but if your withdrawing care how much narcotic is appropriate? A very well respected peds anesthesia/icu had an criminal charge brought up against her for giving fentanyl 5-10mcg/kg as comfort measures for kids with fatal cancers/diseases (remember these kids live on narcs for years!). Took 2 yrs to clear her name from an anonymous nursing write up. All I know is that if they are gonna pull the plug on me, give me 5mg dilaudid first. I dont want to die choking from air hunger.

In some states including Indiana, it is a felony to administer doses of medication to accelerate death, even in the terminal cancer patients.

It wouldn't surprise me if this really happened. I've spent a lot of time in various ICUs, MICU, SICU and PICU as well as a hospice and palliative floor. I've seen providers that are pretty cavalier in end of life scenarios.

I also find it just as easy to imagine that one could very easily exaggerate such claims to try to shake a doc down, for a big settlement.

What are the family members complaining about?? It was done in an ICU setting. “You let my dying mother die too peacefully??” Man. Ef Medicine.