Critical care fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethylstarch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could anyone tell me if a foreign trained Anesthesiologist, who has passed the USMLE's and is ECFMG certified, would be eligible to apply for a Critical Care fellowship in the US.??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me if a foreign trained Anesthesiologist, who has passed the USMLE's and is ECFMG certified, would be eligible to apply for a Critical Care fellowship in the US.??

Without a US residency? You could probably apply, but you wouldn't be eligible for any of the boards, and I doubt the fellowship would satisfy the GME training required for state licensure, although I could be wrong about that.

Many of the anes/ccm programs go unfilled each year, so I would bet you could find one to take you, however, all three require training/board certification in their respective primary boards, anes, surg, and IM/EM. There is no primary training in CCM in the US, its all considered sub-specialty training.

Thank you or your thoughts,

But the fellowship scene in the US is still unclear to me...as some programs have specified that they would only take US trained graduates.....

Would the fact the programs go unfilled be reason enough for the programs to take in foreign trained MD's?
Is there a general policy that they do not accept foreign MD's (even if they are ECFMG certified) into their fellowship or is it just with a few programs?
Is the pay of the fellows provided by the NIH??...and is the fact the NIH not accepting to fund foreign grads be the reason for these programs not to accept foreign Anesthesiologists..?

Your thoughts please....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you or your thoughts,

But the fellowship scene in the US is still unclear to me...as some programs have specified that they would only take US trained graduates.....

Would the fact the programs go unfilled be reason enough for the programs to take in foreign trained MD's?
Is there a general policy that they do not accept foreign MD's (even if they are ECFMG certified) into their fellowship or is it just with a few programs?
Is the pay of the fellows provided by the NIH??...and is the fact the NIH not accepting to fund foreign grads be the reason for these programs not to accept foreign Anesthesiologists..?

Your thoughts please....

There are three types of CCM fellowship in the US, internal med (usually combined CCM/Pulm), surgery, and anesthesiology. For a variety of reason I highly doubt any of the IM or surg programs will take you, they are usually pretty tight with their own. As far as anesthesia programs, you might have a chance. Funding for accreditted residencies and fellowships historically comes form medicare (not NIH), however the dollar amounts have been frozen for some time now, and many program fund some of their training spots from institutional or department funds.

I really have no insight behind which program and why are willing to sponor visas for foreign trained grads, and I really don't know how the funding works for visa sponosored residents and fellows, if it has to shift to the instuition, there are limits on numbers of US vs. non-US grads etc.

I guess a little insignt as to why you want to do a US CCM fellowship could help. If your plan is to complete US fellowship training and go home you should inquire about non-ACGME accredited options, you could probably find places that would work with you. If you want to stay in the states and work as an anesthesiologist, I'm afraid you'll have to complete a US residency. Certain states allow foreign trained physicians to obtain limited teaching licenses that allow them to work in academic hospitals in that state, with only their foreign residency training. Where I trained in Washington state this was common in my department. These indivuals have very few job options with this pathway, they obviously also need visa sponsorship. Many in my department came on a temporary basis, (mostly from UK, Australia, and New Zealand) however a lot had also decided to stick around.

Last edited:
Thank you guys....that was helpful...
@proman,,,your attending has a very impressive CV..:D

Certain states allow foreign trained physicians to obtain limited teaching licenses that allow them to work in academic hospitals in that state, with only their foreign residency training.

Hi...could you please specify some states which allow foreign trained physicians to obtain the limited teaching license. Also, though my interest is in CC, in your opinion would you suggest any particular fellowships which would be easier to get into for a foreign trained anesthesiologist.