Critical care (internal medicine) fellowship 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cc fellow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets use this thread for internal medicine critical care fellowship.
Planning to apply soon.
Any updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Sent out my applications and now waiting for responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now applied but LORs are pending.

An LoR from an attending who I know will be giving the strongest one hasn't been uploaded yet. I have been holding off on applying until then, but now am worried that applying late might jeopardize my interview chances. You think it's better to applying now with two LoRs and then adding the third one later?

An LoR from an attending who I know will be giving the strongest one hasn't been uploaded yet. I have been holding off on applying until then, but now am worried that applying late might jeopardize my interview chances. You think it's better to applying now with two LoRs and then adding the third one later?

You can submit your application, then as LORs come in, select and send those. You don't need to have all of the LORs loaded into the system on the day you initially apply to the program

By the by, has anyone else noticed the system is taking its sweet time to upload forms? My MSPE still shows as not received although my medschool submitted it to EFDO about ten days ago. And three of my LOR writers said they uploaded their letters over a week ago but they still haven't shown as received in the system.

I know the website says to expect up to 2 weeks for processing... <sigh> I suppose I just need to be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not applying this year for personal reasons (spouse who will still be in residency a year past me), but how much research do I need for a strong application? I currently have minimal research, but have a strong project that will hopefully come to fruition over the next year and am involved in a case report that should hopefully be published soon. I expect I will have strong letters from prominent Pulm/CCM attendings in our program. I'm at what is probably a top 10 IM program.

I can't imagine doing any other IM field so I'd like to maximize my chances next year. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

You can submit your application, then as LORs come in, select and send those. You don't need to have all of the LORs loaded into the system on the day you initially apply to the program

By the by, has anyone else noticed the system is taking its sweet time to upload forms? My MSPE still shows as not received although my medschool submitted it to EFDO about ten days ago. And three of my LOR writers said they uploaded their letters over a week ago but they still haven't shown as received in the system.

I know the website says to expect up to 2 weeks for processing... <sigh> I suppose I just need to be patient.
Most of my documents took a day or two (LoR) to show up. I do have a co-resident who said our PD's LoR still hasn't showed up after several days.

My 2 letter are uploaded today but PD letter still pending, Should I submit them now or wait for PD letter to upload and submit all at one time? what u guys think?

My 2 letter are uploaded today but PD letter still pending, Should I submit them now or wait for PD letter to upload and submit all at one time? what u guys think?

It doesn't seem to matter. You can see through the ADTS module when programs download the various forms. It seems to be a daily process at some places, others do it weekly. Either way your application won't be complete until you have all 3 letters in.

If you submit two letters now, their system will dowload them and hold them until you submit the third. The only drawback to submitting the two you have now, while waiting for the third, is if there's a possibility that you might want to use different LORs later. If these are the only three letters you're getting then it doesn't matter.

Anybody heard from any of the programs? Haven't had any invites or rejections. Looking at the Pulm Crit forum, Baylor, Mayo Pitt and Cleveland clinic have sent invites for PCCM. Was wondering if anyone knows when invites or rejections usually come in for straight Crit care, or if anyone's got one and where. Have a good day

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody hear from any place in specific for critical care interviews yet?

Did anybody hear from any place in specific for critical care interviews yet?

So... the problem for people like me (who didn't make a new screenname to reply in this thread) is that the world of critcare applications is relatively small... and it would be very easy for someone at a program to connect my application to my screenname.

In the new age of the internet any facebook/google/chat forum stuff associated with you is fair game in evaluating your application. That said, I don't really post anything on here that I would feel is detrimental to my applications.

However... I still don't want to attach a list of the places at which I've been granted interviews. Numerically though, at the moment it stands at 4.

Last edited:
No rejections, no interviews! any one heard from any program who can share the name of the programs?

You can always contact the programs. I've heard OHSU (oregon) has sent out interviews.

Rejection from Henry ford. Anybody heard anything interviews/ rejections from other programs?

Anybody heard anything interviews/ rejections from other programs?

It's a rough year for EM applicants. According to the ABEM/ABIM agreement, at least 75% of the fellows accepted by a program must be IM trained. That's the biggest problem I'm running into. WashU wrote a really nice email explaining that they can't take any EM applicants this year.

It's one of those factors out of my control. So it goes.

Is this thread only for straight critical care? I dont see a separate thread for Pulm/Crit this year??? Appreciate if anyone can share the link for Pulm/Crit....

I know, its driving myself crazy too...
And we do not have a good thread to know whats happening out there...like who sent ivs or rejections
Last year, people were very active and listed programs that they heard from... we should do the same...

It's a rough year for EM applicants. According to the ABEM/ABIM agreement, at least 75% of the fellows accepted by a program must be IM trained. That's the biggest problem I'm running into. WashU wrote a really nice email explaining that they can't take any EM applicants this year.

It's one of those factors out of my control. So it goes.

I haven't even heard that much from WashU. Although I think I applied through anesthesia.

In terms of IM programs, I have an interview at Pitt and I've heard nothing from GWU, Stanford, and Wake.

So it's looking like the future is going to bring about the prevention of aoa IM grads (me) from entering acgme fellowships. There are 5 straight CC aoa fellowships. Hopefully the desire for our field doesn't pickup in the near future when I apply. :/

Rejections from
Emory
Cedars-Sinai
Mount Sinai
Univ of Wash

So it's looking like the future is going to bring about the prevention of aoa IM grads (me) from entering acgme fellowships. There are 5 straight CC aoa fellowships. Hopefully the desire for our field doesn't pickup in the near future when I apply. :/

Makes ya regret not doing ABIM IM doesn't it?

Makes ya regret not doing ABIM IM doesn't it?

I have never not regretted it. I scrambled to aoa IM. I was initially acgme EM and went unmatched. I took what was available. Makes me think long and hard on rainy days about the multiple aoa EM spots I gave up to roll the dice on acgme though..... Meh, I should have had acgme IM as a back up for my EM apps. You live you learn.

Congratulations to everyone who got interviews. So far 3 rejections.. Henry ford. Cedars Sinai..university of Washington .. still hopeful

I haven't even heard that much from WashU. Although I think I applied through anesthesia.

In terms of IM programs, I have an interview at Pitt and I've heard nothing from GWU, Stanford, and Wake.
Can IM trained applicants apply to anesthesia critical care programs?

I had that about this. I would guess yes. And probably even get a slot. I highly doubt they would let's take the boards though.

And in this day and age being (at least) board eligible in your field is almost a necessity.
If you train IM and go to an anesthesia fellowship you wouldn't be considered BE. There's no training agreement between ASA and ABIM (that I'm aware of)

Those are the confusions to me as well. getting spot and Board eligible. I would rather not to do if I am not gonna BE.

Those are the confusions to me as well. getting spot and Board eligible. I would rather not to do if I am not gonna BE.

agreed. there is no reason to do it if it does not yield board ceritification. i can practice CCM as a hospitalist. the only reason to do the fellowship is to add skill/knowledge which translates to board certification in CCM. No point in the middle ground.

Out of curiosity, how many people here are applying to the IM-CCM fellowship after doing internal medicine residency, and how many did an emergency medicine residency?

I went the EM route...
im

Rejection from Cooper and university of rochester

Rejection from Cooper and university of rochester

Ditto... I don't think i am going to get any interview this year-- and i did not know that i can apply to CC-EM fellowships being IM certified.