Critical Care Team Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takethecannoli3

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a last year pharmacy student applying for residency this year. I know all PGY1s are general pharmacy practice, but I'm looking to get in to a large academic medical center with at least >500 beds with a strong critical care team and acute care focus. My ultimate goal is to obtain a PGY2 in Critical Care, so I'd like to complete a PGY1 in a place where I can really get a chance to see AS MUCH as I can.
I'm looking for an official national ranking of best trauma centers, but I'm coming up short. Any resources or advice anyone can give me?
I am not geographically limited, and I would prefer to be in a larger city environment.

Members don't see this ad.

are you specifically interested in trauma/surgery ICU?
what about MICU? neuro ICU? burn ICU?
critically ill patients can have any diseases, it's really best for you to have well-rounded background in internal med, cardiology, infectious diseases, hem/onc, nutritional support, maybe organ transplant, etc before you go into a pgy2 critical care
if you have decided ICU is your future, you will be dealing with those patients for the rest of your life
but your pgy1 year is to help you build a great foundation of knowledge

are you specifically interested in trauma/surgery ICU?
what about MICU? neuro ICU? burn ICU?
critically ill patients can have any diseases, it's really best for you to have well-rounded background in internal med, cardiology, infectious diseases, hem/onc, nutritional support, maybe organ transplant, etc before you go into a pgy2 critical care
if you have decided ICU is your future, you will be dealing with those patients for the rest of your life
but your pgy1 year is to help you build a great foundation of knowledge

I'm interested in any aspect of critical care. I realize that in order to be at my best in the future, I'll need a solid foundation in each of the core areas you mentioned. My thinking in looking for large, teaching hospital with a strong trauma/critical care reputation is to gain exposure to as much as I can during my PGY1, while completing my core rotations. I want to see cases/patients that I would not be able to necessarily have exposure to in a smaller hospital setting or in a hospital where pharmacy is not a huge integral part of their team.
I definitely want a well-rounded PGY1 experience, just in a place where I know my interests can flourish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in any aspect of critical care. I realize that in order to be at my best in the future, I'll need a solid foundation in each of the core areas you mentioned. My thinking in looking for large, teaching hospital with a strong trauma/critical care reputation is to gain exposure to as much as I can during my PGY1, while completing my core rotations. I want to see cases/patients that I would not be able to necessarily have exposure to in a smaller hospital setting or in a hospital where pharmacy is not a huge integral part of their team.
I definitely want a well-rounded PGY1 experience, just in a place where I know my interests can flourish.
if that's the case, majority of the larger hospitals offer multiple ICU rotations in various areas (SICU, MICU, neuroICU, CTICU, CCU, etc). you can discover this via residency websites
also, any large hospital in a population-dense area would allow you to see all kinds of interesting cases
the list can be very long considering there are so many ICU program out there
also those big name hospital residency can be very competitive just apply broadly

Don't bother with rankings. Just look for hospitals that are level II or level I trauma centers. These hospitals will typically have at least an MICU, SICU and CCICU.. plenty enough for you to round.