Critical care ultrasound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevodex1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a few critical care ultrasound courses out there including ones from SCCM and CHEST. Would any of these help towards a formal certification ?(i.e advantageous when comparing the aspects included in these courses)
I am going into a CCM fellowship and have some basic understanding of critical care echo as a resident. However wondering if training acquired during fellowship in terms of the critical care ultrasound component is standardized and comparable across the country ?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a few critical care ultrasound courses out there including ones from SCCM and CHEST. Would any of these help towards a formal certification ?(i.e advantageous when comparing the aspects included in these courses)
I am going into a CCM fellowship and have some basic understanding of critical care echo as a resident. However wondering if training acquired during fellowship in terms of the critical care ultrasound component is standardized and comparable across the country ?

Neither standardized nor comparable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
no real standard. just practice, practice, practice. watch ultrasoundpodcast.com. I have my own company and travel around doing small personalized ultrasound courses. PM me if interested.

Reactions: 1 user
There is formal certification by ARDMS in point of care ultrasound.

Ultrasound Point-of-Care Program | APCA.org
There was an article in the EM newspaper/magazine about how this company is ripping people off by trying to become the "standard" for Us certification, in hopes that hospitals will soon require their credentials to do US in the course of their normal clinical practice.

so far in my fellowship, ive been a bit underwhelmed with the formal echo training. I got shown where to put the probe and what the view ought to look like. we are supposed to have a formal course coming up. mostly it's about repetition. I feel like I could use some formal guidance as well.

I have looked around and found some pretty interesting courses containing both TTE and TEE, but there is considerable time and money involved which I dont have at this time.