Critical dates - residency...help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcel78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,

I am a FMG getting ready to take the STEPS:), however I am lost on deadlines and critical dates so I missing the big picture:(:

a) by when should I have all my STEPS passed to not miss the boat and apply for the residency?
b) what exams should I pass to be eligible for the residency (STEP I and II?)?
c) when the results of the match are available?
d) when does the residency starts?

Your help would be greatly appreciated,
Regards,
M

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have not already taken step 1, 2, and CS you are probably too late for this year. You need to have step 1, 2 and CS done ideally before you apply to residency. Start registering for those exams now. You can apply to residency next year 2011-2012. I think that ERAS post office opens September 2011.

If you can take step 3 as well I would do that since that makes you more attractive to programs.

Match lists are submitted in February; match results are announced the 3rd week in March; residencies start July1, with some requiring you to be available for orientation/certifications in June. As already stated, you would be hard pressed to be ready this year, but there is an outside chance that if you finish everything you might find something late outside the match. Good luck.

If I were you I wouldn't paticipate in the match until I have passed step 3 or at least step1,2 and cs. But the best is to have step 3 passed. Otherwise you would be wasting your time and money.