Critique My Plan (Please :D )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
silas2642 said:
It really looks like you're going to have to do post-bacc. You haven't done the pre-reqs, so do those first and get straight A's in all your classes. Then take the MCAT and absolutely nail it. If you do well in these things, then it seems like your chances of getting into a solid masters program are good. Do extremely well post-bacc, and you've got a good chance of getting in. Gold luck.

Thanks for your comments. I was accepted into Harvard's post-bacc program for the fall and will be attending. I mis-calculated my GPA - it's a 2.75 (not much better, but every little bit helps), but I will probably have to do a special Master's as well. It's a long road ahead and I feel that with enough hard work, my plan will be successful in getting me into medical school. I will also be volunteering at 2 hospitals, and have 2 MD's that have offered to let me shadow, as well as finishing my EMT-B and getting some volunteering done before I leave for Boston. The name of the game is grades at the moment - I've already started studying for Fall classes.

I'm also very realistic that I could get a 4.0 at Harvard, 4.0 in my SMP, get a 35 on my MCAT, and still not be accepted anywhere - it's a crap shoot and I am starting out very far behind.

Thank you, again, for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

A little encouragement: I had a 2.5 gpa with a BS in biomed eng from BU in '90. I had some chronic health issues which led to the low gpa. I worked for 6 yrs as a clinical engineer in a hospital and stayed home for 6 years as a Mom. I started taking post-bacc classes on my own and shadowing. I had extensive prehospital EMS experience and had been a volunteer EMT for over 15 years. I was accepted to UCONN's post-bacc program and finished my post-bacc work. Post-bacc gpa 4.0; MCAT 33S. Accepted to UCONN Med and am now an MS3.