critique my pre-pharm sched

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tschu8482, May 12, 2008.

1. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey everyone ....returning student since 2001, just wanted some pre-pharm students to look over my plans. Any advice would be appreciated, im planning to apply to the program spring 2010. Im hoping for ub,st john fisher,or anyone thatll take me :D.Im still working fulltime till fall08, by the way.

summer08:
    4-MA115 Intermediate Mathematics
    =4credits
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    fall08:
    1-college seminar
    3-English Composition I
    4-Introductory Biology I with Laboratory
    0-CH091 Essentials of Chemistry 1
    4-MA125 College Algebra & Trig
    =12credits + chem
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    spring09:
    3-English Composition II
    4-Introductory Biology II with Laboratory
    4-MA150 Precalculus
    3-Statistics *
    0-Essentials of Chemistry 2
    =14credits + chem
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    sum09:
    4.5-General or Inorganic Chemistry I with Laboratory
    4-Calculus I
    =8.5credits
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    fall09:
    4.5-General or Inorganic Chemistry II with Laboratory
    3-Economics
    4-Physics I
    4.5-BI106 Human Anatomy & Physiology 1
    3-PY204 Social Psychology
    =19credits
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    spring10:
    5-Organic Chemistry I with Laboratory
    4.5-BI201 Microbiology
    4.5-Physics II
    3-EN150-L2 Effective Speech
    =17credits
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    summer10:
    5-Organic Chemistry II with Laboratory
    4-Calculus II *
    3-Social Behavioral Science (e.g., Sociology 101/Psychology 101)
    =12credits

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dave4468

Pharmacy Student
    i hope your summer is divided into two intersessions, if not that looks really tough!

4. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

no it isnt ...any suggestions?

5. Dave4468

Pharmacy Student
    well it looks good man and it looks like you've done your research. Summer 08 looks tough, especially if it will be your first time taking calculus, cant see how you will have time for chem+calc but if you can pull it off thats great. Calc + english just seems like a better combo imo for a summer intersession. maybe you could take a winter intersession for one class? just a thought.

6. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Maybe switch stats and gen chem I. For the most part your plan looks very realistic.

7. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    My big concern is balancing the classes between each semester, while keeping related classes close together (fall to spring to summer..etc) I'm open to any suggestions,and really appreciate it.The only thing I can think of to lessen the load is push back my math, cause calc2 isnt a prerequesite for all my choices. Im really debating on stretching it out to 3yrs total, but I really want to see if I can handle it.

8. PharmDstudent

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Why are you taking Essentials of Chemistry I and II? It looks like those classes are only going to hurt you by putting you behind in for-credit chemistry classes (everything is getting pushed back because of those zero credit courses).

9. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    Im not sure if I have to take both essentials of chem 1&2 prior to general chem. Be honest I don't have any experience in a lab, butr I should catch on pretty quick. I just dont want to get in over my head.

10. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

I would love to skip essentials chem2, has anyone on here taken general chem1 ?how is it?

11. PharmDstudent

This schedule makes so much more sense to me!

12. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    you would reccomend taking gen chem 1 without any previous experience?

If you do thatd be great , it would make my pharmd app look so much better for fall 2010.Ill also have 10yrs pharmacy experience by then, damn im getting old.

13. naseuy

I don't really know what essentials of chem is, but to me it sounds like non-science major chem. They are likely to teach you the same thing in general chem, only that it may be a little watered down.

Maybe you could look it up on your school website or bulletin and give us a bit of a course description?

14. PharmDstudent

If you really feel like you need an Essentials of Chemistry class, take the first one this summer with the intermediate math class. I strongly discourage you from loading up your summer semesters with multiple science and/or math courses. When I was an undergrad, we were told not to take more than two science/math courses over the summer semester.
    Besides, you need some knowledge of Organic Chemistry for the PCAT. You shouldn't push your Chemistry classes back by almost an entire year by playing catch-up, because you could bomb the PCAT (which you will probably take the fall semester of your second year).

15. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

Ill go talk to a science advisor tomarrow, to see what I can do about it. If I am ok for fall08 gen chem1, does anyone have any good reading reccomendations till then? Again, I really appreciate this, im really optomistic about this.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. naseuy

As the name states, General Chem is pretty General. One of my organic chemistry teachers calls it "Baby Chem" or "Freshmen Chem", you don't really need previous experience for it, though it may definitely help.

18. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved

Pharmacist
    I don't think you should leave Organic Chem for the summer of the year prior to starting Pharmacy school.

LIU is going to have a lot of currently accepted students getting kicked out in favor of waitlisted students because of a new policy.

If you get a UW after you have been accepted, you get your acceptance taken away. Not to mention, a lot of people are banking on Organic Chem in the summer, and when time is cut short, Organic Chem gets harder.

None of the professors I took Organic Chem with in the summer reduced the content in the course. I mean, we skipped Fischer projections because the professor felt they are useless, but I kinda wish we did them because now I'm struggling with them for the MCAT.

19. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

I really wish I could take the essentials class this summer, but to be honest I cant afford to miss that much work. Before fall starts Ill be set financially, and ready for full time. If I could review myself after work , in place of essentials, thatd be great.

20. PharmDstudent

Maybe you could pick up a couple of Cliffs Review books or something similar. They should carry books like that at B&N's or Books-A-Million.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

Ill go tomorrow, thanks alot, you guys/girls are really helpfull.

22. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    CH091- Essentials of Chemistry 1 Description This laboratory-based course introduces chemistry to those who have had no prior chemistry study or who need a chemistry review. Topics include matter,measurement, atomic structure and the periodic table, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding and reaction, kinetics, equilibrium, and the three phases of matter. This course does not fulfill a laboratory natural science requirement in any degree or certificate program. Prerequisite: An appropriate Math Placement test result, or MA045 Basic Math Skills, or MA050 Introductory Mathematics.

CH092- Essentials of Chemistry 2 Description This laboratory-based course is a continuation of CH091 Essentials of Chemistry.Topics include solutions, colligative properties, concentrations, acids and bases, salts, solution equilibrium, pH buffers, electrolytes, and an introduction to organic chemistry with attention to organic molecules of biological importance.This course does not fulfill a laboratory natural science requirement in any degree or certificate program. Prerequisite: CH091 Essentials of Chemistry 1.

23. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    Trying to figure out a way that I could take essentials chem this summer ...I stumbled across an online intermediate math class. That way I can free up some work time and get some lab experience:confused:

24. PharmDstudent

However you take the math class, you need an A. You always need As *if possible*. If you think that you can take it online without experiencing any problems related to the nature of an online class, then go for it. Have you taken any online classes before?

I wouldn't be that scared of taking an introductory General Chemistry class (get it over so that you can get to Organic). I would be more scared of taking Organic Chemistry over a summer semester! I took General Chemistry I over the summer, and I did fine. Organic II, on the other hand, I had to drop the class over the regular semester, because I had some blockhead who couldn't teach. I settled for a C the second time that I took it, because once again, I had some blockhead who couldn't teach. It didn't hurt me though. It was the only C that I had made in a pre-req class.

25. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

Chem starts next week, and the math doesnt start till around 6/23, so I should be fine.Ive never taken any online classes, but Ill have alot of time to dedicate to it.

26. Dave4468

Pharmacy Student
    imo you should take the essentials chem class if you've never had prior chem experience. I went head on into g-chem while taking it two years ago in high school (don't really remember it anyway) and I had to take a W. The kids who took the college chem review class aced it without putting too much time into it. This will save you time for your other classes as well, wish I had taken the review class first, oh well.

27. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    orgo and anatomy are two of the tougest classes i've taken...and i have a bs. in biochemistry. they both have labs and so does the physics. try to split them up if you can.:luck:

28. dovebar

dovebar Guest

Pre-Pharmacy
    split them up if you can to avoid a icky gpa.

29. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!

Pharmacist
    You may want to look into school requirements because I think most schools require General Biology and not Introductory Biology, but everything else looks good so far.

HTH

30. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy

thanks for pointing that out

31. tschu8482

Pre-Pharmacy
    i signed up for ess chem 1 and ma115 , starting monday I cant wait