Critique my school list (3.8 gpa 510 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cauchy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Just hoping to get some insight into my school list. Let me know if I am missing any pertinent information!

OR resident
M, non-traditional (26 yo)
Undergrad degree (BA) in Culture and ethics
Post baccalaureate (BS) in Biology

cGPA 3.8
sGPA 3.9

MCAT 510

Multiple (non clinical) volunteer work in the past:
-Union gospel mission (homeless shelter)
-Threads of Hope (Phillipines - nonprofit work for indigent communities)
-VBB (international humanitarian aid)
-Organic chemistry tutor (volunteer)

Research:
I'm pretty light here - I did a short research project with some of the physicians I work with regarding risk in the emergency department, but it was only over a few months and was ~75 hours total.

Clinical:
2 years as an ED scribe - about 1800 hours total

So far, I'm thinking of applying to around 20 schools and based on the WedgeDawg's system, this is what I'm thinking so far. Any critiques or suggestion are much appreciated! (Especially @gyngyn or @Goro if you have time)

Mayo
Case Western
Ohio State University
Rochester
Dartmouth
Emory
Wake Forest
Loma Linda
Frank H Netter
Oakland
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
St Louis
Virginia Tech
Hofstra
Drexel
OHSU
Arizona

(I should mention I'm aware of Loma Linda's lifestyle requirements. The school where I did my post baccalaureate was a small christian school and have had several students attend medical school there).

I don't think you have a bad list. Definitely focus on OHSU, and from what you wrote, Loma Linda.

I'd take out Dartmouth & Tech. You don't have the MCAT or research experience for Dartmouth, and VT has 97% of their matriculants with research.

Additionally, schools look more favorably on OOS students from neighboring states (unwritten rule, but it is true). If you apply to CA, WA, and NV schools, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the following

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland-B
U OR

Any DO program, starting with PacNW, Touro-CA, Western, and Western OR

Hey Guys,

Just hoping to get some insight into my school list. Let me know if I am missing any pertinent information!

OR resident
M, non-traditional (26 yo)
Undergrad degree (BA) in Culture and ethics
Post baccalaureate (BS) in Biology

cGPA 3.8
sGPA 3.9

MCAT 510

Multiple (non clinical) volunteer work in the past:
-Union gospel mission (homeless shelter)
-Threads of Hope (Phillipines - nonprofit work for indigent communities)
-VBB (international humanitarian aid)
-Organic chemistry tutor (volunteer)

Research:
I'm pretty light here - I did a short research project with some of the physicians I work with regarding risk in the emergency department, but it was only over a few months and was ~75 hours total.

Clinical:
2 years as an ED scribe - about 1800 hours total

So far, I'm thinking of applying to around 20 schools and based on the WedgeDawg's system, this is what I'm thinking so far. Any critiques or suggestion are much appreciated! (Especially @gyngyn or @Goro if you have time)

Mayo
Case Western
Ohio State University
Rochester
Dartmouth
Emory
Wake Forest
Loma Linda
Frank H Netter
Oakland
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
St Louis
Virginia Tech
Hofstra
Drexel
OHSU
Arizona

(I should mention I'm aware of Loma Linda's lifestyle requirements. The school where I did my post baccalaureate was a small christian school and have had several students attend medical school there).

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll take a look at those schools.