MD & DO Critique the App, School List, Chances of my Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reanimated Reapplicant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a Massachusetts based reapplicant that did not receive an interview my first time around after applying to 14 schools-
UMass, Tufts, BU, Brown, GW, Einstein, Hofstra, Pitt, UVM, Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson, Giesel at Dartmouth, UCLA(passed screen), UCSF (did not pass screen), Harvard (lol).

My MCAT is from May 2017 and will expire after this year and I would really like to make it work this time around, so please help me craft a list of schools that fit my profile. I'd really like to be based in a major city, as I have the secret hope that my SO will be able to get a sweet job in her career path wherever I'm at. Hoping for around 30 schools and certainly applying to DO this time around. Since my first failed application, I've gotten a mid-author Cell publication and a few SFN posters and have started a CRC job as I try to fill the clinical gap in my application.

Stats:

3.5 cGPA, 3.58 BCPM from a semi-prestigious liberal arts undergrad (3 upper-level bio/ biochem post-bacc classes included) with an upward trend as I got into mathier/ more research based stuff that I liked

Neuroscience senior thesis was included in a publication in a very small journal

512 MCAT 127/128/127/130

30 hours shadowing a hospitalist, neurologist, and neurosurgeon, and some hours to come in cardiology

2.5 years as a research technician at a prestigious academic research institution with a Cell publication (hoping another mid-level comes through one day) and 2 poster contributions at SFN

1 year and counting as a clinical research coordinator at a large research hospital with an independent project in progress, but mostly doing sponsored interventional cardiology trials

~80 hours ER volunteering

2 summers of interning at a Healthcare for Homeless Clinic in an educational capacity

Starting a new volunteering position helping out underprivileged youth, around 2 hours a week

~20 hours miscellaneous volunteering in my city

LORs from my two PI MD's, and my last job's PI, P.h.D, and my thesis advisor, and will be getting a committee letter (although the more I think about it, the less of a good idea a committee letter seems as I'm a few years out of undergrad)

My only strong EC is powerlifting, I spend ~15 hours a week at the gym and try to compete once a year, sadly I can't talk about loving craft beer and playing Apex Legends on my application

My school list was Wedgedawg inspired with its distribution and looks something like

UMass, BU, Tufts, Quinnipiac, Harvard, Yale, UVM, Dartmouth, NYU( with an eye towards the 3-year GP program), Hofstra, Einstein, Mt. Sinai, UCLA, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, GW,, Brown, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, new Kaiser school.

My maybes are Geisinger, Wayne, and Creighton due to their location and I am questioning whether or not I should be applying DO (UNE, Western, NYTCOM, Tuoro, PCOM.

Good luck to all of you, this is stressful and sometimes discouraging. Thank you for whatever advice or critique you have.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Kaiser
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
As you already know from your lack of interviews there is no point in applying to schools such as Harvard, Yale Dartmouth, etc. or state public schools (Ie SUNY's) that prefer their own residents. You would be helped by another 20 hours of shadowing and 100 hours of clinical volunteering.
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and include UNECOM and any others that are in locations that are practical for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks very much! I notice new schools are fairly popular places to apply for applicants like me, is it because the schools' preferences are unknown or because their reputations haven't been established?