• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

CRNA pain management

Yo GabbaPentin

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
    Have heard rumors of local group hiring CRNAs to do injections and run clinic. Is this even a thing? Would insurance/medicare even pay for something like that? Are we looking at crna encroachment in pain now too?

cowboydoc

5+ Year Member
    Jan 2, 2016
    1. Attending Physician
      I got a note on a patient's previous care in a neighboring state that included a CRNA running a pain clinic. No mention of physician. Office visit with TPI then the procedures...L1/2, L2/3, L3/4, L4/5 and L5/S1 MBBs then RFA, same levels.

EtherBunny

7+ Year Member
      Mar 5, 2012
      1. Attending Physician
        Have heard rumors of local group hiring CRNAs to do injections and run clinic. Is this even a thing? Would insurance/medicare even pay for something like that? Are we looking at crna encroachment in pain now too?

It depends on the state as to whether it is legal or not. From the standpoint of ethics and professionalism it's absolutely wrong, no question about that. Obviously the group that wants to hire the CRNAs is sketchy as hell--they must only care about money and not patient welfare. I feel sorry for any patients who end up going there.

Pill mills, block shops, and now we may have a wave of CRNAs in pain management. Hopefully the insanity will end at some point. Otherwise we may see the end of private practice in pain management, because in general hospitals are far more selective when it comes to hiring clinicians for pain management. CRNAs would have a helluva time getting hired by a hospital to do interventional pain.

Last edited:
        About the Ads

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
        Removed
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 1, 2005
        Southwest
        1. Attending Physician
          It depends on the state as to whether it is legal or not. From the standpoint of ethics and professionalism it's absolutely wrong, no question about that. Obviously the group that wants to hire the CRNAs is sketchy as hell--they must only care about money and not patient welfare. I feel sorry for any patients who end up going there.

Pill mills, block shops, and now we may have a wave of CRNAs in pain management. Hopefully the insanity will end at some point. Otherwise we may see the end of private practice in pain management, because in general hospitals are far more selective when it comes to hiring clinicians for pain management. CRNAs would have a helluva time getting hired by a hospital to do interventional pain.

Not true, when I was practicing in Iowa about 9 years ago I did a monthly rural outreach clinic. Come to find out there was a CRNA practicing unsupervised flouro guided injections out of the local hospital in the community.( of course he referred to himself as "Doctor".........This is more common then you guys think

newbie04

15+ Year Member
          Aug 16, 2004
          1. Attending Physician
            This was going on *at the same time / in the same building* while I was attending an SIS course this year. Same procedures as SIS.

17103496_1477000788991106_8460424735867050620_n.jpg

Victorinox

7+ Year Member
            Aug 2, 2011
              Not true, when I was practicing in Iowa about 9 years ago I did a monthly rural outreach clinic. Come to find out there was a CRNA practicing unsupervised flouro guided injections out of the local hospital in the community.( of course he referred to himself as "Doctor".........This is more common then you guys think

Might be the same guy who booked people in for fortnightly ESI, who cancelled all his planned injections the day someone from the state came to observe his practice.

Smaller hospitals in the middle of nowhere seem to encourage this, he gets a few hundred extra dollars and the hospital gets thousands in facility fees.

Aether2000

algosdoc
              15+ Year Member
              May 3, 2005
              Florida
              1. Attending Physician
                CRNAs have been doing epidural injections for pain for at least 20 years and RF, facets, SCS trials for 10. They are independent completely, and no they are not well trained. Usually it is stupid surgeons that value the convenience of the patient and the relationships with their CRNA golf buddies over the lives and welfare of their patients.

IN2B8R

10+ Year Member
                Apr 8, 2005
                1. Attending Physician
                  Agree with above: charlatans pretending to practice pain medicine without requisite education and training should be cut off by all payers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
                  About the Ads

Yo GabbaPentin

10+ Year Member
                  Feb 15, 2011
                  1. Attending Physician
                    CMS should deny cpt to non fellow trained providers. Private insurers will fall like dominos.
                    Should?? I had always thought that is how it went. Although with NPs all demanding 120k per year with a 30 hrs work week, full benefits and 6 weeks vacation, I might a well hire a f'ing crna. Stupid hospital system is giving NPs in this area these kind of deals.

Victorinox

7+ Year Member
                    Aug 2, 2011
                      Seriously, though, I think something needs to be done, because this character in Iowa, and probably others, are treating patients, and clearly getting reimbursed.

Spoke with a faculty at a big name program in the south east, who is aware of this, he told me the untrained shysters supposedly use fluoro but never seem to have any saved images for some reason - curious....

Nov 4, 2004
                      1. Attending Physician
                        At the Becker’s Spine Pain conference there is a lecture from AANA about “partnering with academia to provide advanced post-graduate subspecialty pain management education for nurse anesthetist”

So clearly nurse anesthetist organizations continue to work on finding a way to expand their scope of practice.

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
                        Aug 16, 2007
                        1. Attending Physician
                          of note he admits to getting his masters in nurse anesthesia but states he then went on to get his doctorate. What bs doctorate was that?? It's amazing this crap is allowed to happen

About the Ads

painfree23

2+ Year Member
                          Jan 26, 2017
                            of note he admits to getting his masters in nurse anesthesia but states he then went on to get his doctorate. What bs doctorate was that?? It's amazing this crap is allowed to happen

He probably wrote a paper. They call it their “capstone” project or something
                            He is impersonating a physician by advertising himself as a doctor.
                            but he is a doctor, does he say he is a “physician”? Not saying I agree with it at all, but don’t think medical board can say anything

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
                            Nov 28, 2011
                            New Jersey
                            1. Attending Physician
                              Medical board has no say over nurses in my state

You’re so correct. About 15 years ago we had a CRNA who owned an ASC. Multimillionaire. He introduced himself as a doctor. Registered as medical director with the state as a doctor. The head of the N.J. society of anesthesiologists called the medical board. Medical board said “ we can’t do anything because we have no jurisdiction over non physicians, call the nursing board”. His response was “ what if this was a plumber impersonating a physician, would I need to call the plumbing board to handle this?”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drrosenrosen

Pain Physician
                              15+ Year Member
                              Nov 16, 2005
                              In transit
                              1. Attending Physician
                                My favorite thing is running across a Nurse Jackie type, who has become convinced that she stands as the last line of defense between her patients and me, the ignorant, money-grubbing doctor. This stuff has gotten way out of hand. Honestly, I don't think this direction is going to change short of a supreme court case between medical and nursing boards.

About the Ads
                                This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                7. This thread is locked.