CRNAs pay > FP, peds, IM, hospitalists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The main reason why CRNA's have seen such a dramatic increase in salary is simple supply and demand. The CRNA's monopolize the mid-level anesthesia market and they are desperately trying to maintain it by blocking out the AA programs. The market will correct itself after all 50 states approve AA programs (so far 12 have) and more schools open (currently only 5 schools).

This has inspired every nursing group out there to try to emulate the success of the CRNA's, ie, NP's. This is why I think that even if you're not an anesthesiologist but a physician that it is critical that we support anesthesiology and AA's. If we don't, all of medicine not just anesthesiology will be affected.

I'm not sure that I know ANY nurses under 30 with any long term career aspiration who aren't considering this route. Over time, this will flood the market with more CRNAs and fewer floor nurses (actually in demand). There is still a lag, because of a training barrier. Nurses are not immune to healthcare economics, but they do tend to be salaried (both RNs AND CRNAs) to a much greater degree than physicians. This makes them much more susceptable to supply and demand. In other words, when the world has more CRNAs than it needs, Anesthesia groups will drive down the salaries quickly and precipitously. Also, the high salary is the downfall. When looking for new hires, if there is truly an overabundance of anesthesia providers, the CRNAs are demanding amounts of money that Anesthesiologists can afford to take. CRNAs at 200k may be attractive over MDs at 350k, but both at 200 will probably exclude the CRNA.

I am not saying this to disparage my colleagues in anesthesia in any way, but I believe that they are really in a golden age of the specialty. History really doesn't support the anesthesiologists making more than surgeons whose patients they put to sleep. This is sort of an accident, and there is a real risk for a decline in salaries. However, that decline probably ends up hurting the CRNAs, as they lose the attractive pricing advantage.