Cross-enrollment or transient study at another university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceng2doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My local university doesn't offer flexible course schedules for summer semester. I'm thinking of taking a course or two at another now 4-year-degree-giving institution (used to be a junior college until 2002, now it offers BA and BS degrees in Florida).

My university confirmed my cross-enrollment form (thus, I'll be able to receive my federal financial aid for those courses, too), and told me that they're gonna be transferring those confirmed courses after I pass them and submit the transcript from other institution.

How should I have to explain it in my PS during the applications? Do I have to submit that transcript to AMCAS?

Anyone who had done this, comments?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

If it is just a couple courses, you probably don't need to explain it in your personal statement (unless you feel a need to). Just have a good response if it comes up at the interview.

Also, AMCAS requires that you submit a transcript from every institute of higher education you attend.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have no problem doing that, just one question, how do you have financial aid in the summer? Everybody i know pays for summer courses out of pocket.

You can apply for federal aid for the summer months through fafsa; I did this when I was an undergrad.

Granted, it has been several years for myself, but as an example: summer 2010 would go on the fafsa you filled out for the 2009/10 school year. Like all semesters, the aid they offer varies.

Granted, it has been several years for myself, but as an example: summer 2010 would go on the fafsa you filled out for the 2009/10 school year. Like all semesters, the aid they offer varies.
I concur that, and it's still been in effect. Depending on particular university's practice, one only needs to mention in supplementary documents that university requires to submit along with that year's fafsa application completed that s/he needs summer financial aid, and that's all about it. Provided, you need to be at least a part-time attending student.

If it is just a couple courses, you probably don't need to explain it in your personal statement (unless you feel a need to). Just have a good response if it comes up at the interview.

Also, AMCAS requires that you submit a transcript from every institute of higher education you attend.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer
But, those courses from the other institute will be transferred into my university as is. I wonder if I still need to submit that other school's transcript along with that of my university.

If I'll submit them both, then, I guess, I'll have to explain in my PS or during the interviews about why I double-took those very same courses. However, I won't be doubly-taking them...it's still been confusing for me. (cross-enrollment is a way for a school to supplement its students' needs with options existing yet at other schools to cover the lack of its flexibility at certain times).

But, those courses from the other institute will be transferred into my university as is. I wonder if I still need to submit that other school's transcript along with that of my university.

If I'll submit them both, then, I guess, I'll have to explain in my PS or during the interviews about why I double-took those very same courses. However, I won't be doubly-taking them...it's still been confusing for me. (cross-enrollment is a way for a school to supplement its students' needs with options existing yet at other schools to cover the lack of its flexibility at certain times).

Take a deep breath. You are fretting too much about the small details. It won't seem so convoluted when you are actually filling in the AMCAS application. When you fill out AMCAS you will need to enter every single college course you ever took (and grade) and every course you will be taking. Following this step, AMCAS requires that you submit transcripts so they can verify the information you entered.

NO ONE will think that you "double" took a course (because you will have entered the courses yourself). Also, many readers would think it ODD that you brought this up in your PS (that you're making such a big deal about it). It is not uncommon for applicants to have a few courses from an alternative institution; the people at AMCAS are used to this. Plus, your transcript with the transferred grades will probably identify them as transfer credits (regardless of whether or not they transferred "as is"), so AMCAS will probably need to see the original transcript from where the course was initially taken.

Take a deep breath. You are fretting too much about the small details. It won't seem so convoluted when you are actually filling in the AMCAS application. When you fill out AMCAS you will need to enter every single college course you ever took (and grade) and every course you will be taking. Following this step, AMCAS requires that you submit transcripts so they can verify the information you entered.

NO ONE will think that you "double" took a course (because you will have entered the courses yourself). Also, many readers would think it ODD that you brought this up in your PS (that you're making such a big deal about it). It is not uncommon for applicants to have a few courses from an alternative institution; the people at AMCAS are used to this. Plus, your transcript with the transferred grades will probably identify them as transfer credits (regardless of whether or not they transferred "as is"), so AMCAS will probably need to see the original transcript from where the course was initially taken.
Oh, okay, now it makes sense. Thank you, Needle,