Cruise Ship Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2baDoctor

Medicine: A Natural High
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this division of Emergency Medicine? (in reguards to weeks worked/off, typical daily schedule/tasks, salary in comparison to land based EM, and lifestyle on the cruiseship)

Members don't see this ad.

Cruise ship docs are independent contractors - they prefer EM or FM, but will take IM with trauma experience. You MUST be comfortable with simple ortho and thrombolytics; likewise, people don't go on cruises before they die - they go on cruises TO die. Princess has an on-board morgue bigger than most ED's, with about 100 crypts/ship.

Common things are gastroenteritis, motion sickness, acute ETOH intoxication, biliary colic, sprains, strains & fractures, lacerations, an occasional appy (which you MAY have to take out - no kidding), an occasional acute MI, angina, and exacerbations of chronic medical problems (like asthma and CHF).

The doc will have office hours/clinic in the morning and usually afternoon, and be on call for other times. Some ships have 2 docs. There are experienced nurses that run a lot of the clinic. The clinic itself is well-apportioned, with several exam rooms, an OR, an Xray suite, and a rather well-stocked pharmacy.

Even though it doesn't sound glamorous, well, it's more fun than it sounds. I mean, you cruise all over the tropics, and you get to see hundreds of gorgeous women at a time (or guys, if that's your thing) - each group is just rarin' to go. There will be fraternizing rules, but, as long as you are low-key, nobody knows anything. The food is great and plentiful, and you are going to the fun places.

You can apply for a job with Carnival online for a doc position. I can't speak for Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, or other lines.

Holy potato. That sounds like a blast.

Members don't see this ad :)
mysophobe said:
Holy potato. That sounds like a blast.
I got a mailer from Carnival. 16 weeks on then paid 8 week leave. All meals, accomadations and transport paid for for you and your husband/wife during your 16 weeks. Sounds good to me :cool:

colforbinMD said:
I got a mailer from Carnival. 16 weeks on then paid 8 week leave. All meals, accomadations and transport paid for for you and your husband/wife during your 16 weeks. Sounds good to me :cool:
got the same mailer last week....wish I could accept :D

colforbinMD said:

Mr. DrMom's ready to accept! :laugh:

DrMom said:
Mr. DrMom's ready to accept! :laugh:

Not much money....

http://www.cruisejobline.com/

Medical Center

Doctor: US$ 4,800 – 7,000 per month. Oversees the entire shipboard medical facilities, treatment mostly to passengers and sometimes crew. Current license, extensive experience with cardiac and primary care, trauma, internal, and emergency medicine required. Diploma from an accredited medical school and fluent English Language skills required.

Nurse: US$ 2,800 – 3,200 per month. Requires background in trauma care or accident and emergency treatment, preferably in an ER/ICU. Diploma from accredited nursing school with a minimum of two years recent hospital experience required. Certified nurse.

Dentist: US$ 4,800 – 7,000 per month. Qualified Dentist with diploma from accredited medical/dentistry school and minimum of two years recent experience required.

Y2KPSD said:
Not much money....

http://www.cruisejobline.com/

Medical Center

Doctor: US$ 4,800 – 7,000 per month. Oversees the entire shipboard medical facilities, treatment mostly to passengers and sometimes crew. Current license, extensive experience with cardiac and primary care, trauma, internal, and emergency medicine required. Diploma from an accredited medical school and fluent English Language skills required.

Nurse: US$ 2,800 – 3,200 per month. Requires background in trauma care or accident and emergency treatment, preferably in an ER/ICU. Diploma from accredited nursing school with a minimum of two years recent hospital experience required. Certified nurse.

Dentist: US$ 4,800 – 7,000 per month. Qualified Dentist with diploma from accredited medical/dentistry school and minimum of two years recent experience required.

that's 84,000.00 per year to see the world for absolutely free. Room and board paid for. No gas in your car, no food to buy. can't imagine a better deal in the whole world right now.

later

12R34Y said:
got the same mailer last week....wish I could accept :D
ME TOO but I doubt they will take my 2 days of orientation as adequate training so I guess I gotta keep on plugging away here.

colforbinMD said:
ME TOO but I doubt they will take my 2 days of orientation as adequate training so I guess I gotta keep on plugging away here.

I was thinking on how one would repay $250k in debt. :(

12R34Y said:
that's 84,000.00 per year to see the world for absolutely free. Room and board paid for. No gas in your car, no food to buy. can't imagine a better deal in the whole world right now.

later

$84K could be tax free...... depending, maybe part of the attraction...

i waaaannaa gooooo!!!

so, since i got this too, it seems like they're sending it to new grads (?). but it also states that you have to have a license and 5+ years of practice. so why waste money on sending this to me? it's not like 5 years from now i'll suddenly remember this thing i got in the mail two weeks before residency started and quit my job. or will i? hmmm....

Hawkeye Kid said:
so, since i got this too, it seems like they're sending it to new grads (?). but it also states that you have to have a license and 5+ years of practice. so why waste money on sending this to me? it's not like 5 years from now i'll suddenly remember this thing i got in the mail two weeks before residency started and quit my job. or will i? hmmm....

Ha - I'm a soon to be med 2, and I got the advertisement. My guess is that they got the addresses either from ACEP or AAEM and don't bother to filter out the student/resident members. I've actually gotten several recruitment letters lately.