Crunching the numbers on grade repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLadyVanishes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I had to revisit my AMCAS application for the organic chemistry grade thread, I thought I would give some actual numbers for GPA repair.

My GPA dipped to a 3.48 (from a 3.73) due to Bs and B-s in science classes. At this time I had 29 credits. I took more than 4 years to graduate and needed to take a few postbac classes, which brought me to a total of 150 credits for my cumulative undergrad.

After that low point in GPA, I had straight As and A-s for the next 121 credits, with only 2 "ABs" and 1 B+. My overall undergrad GPA is, per AMCAS, a 3.74, which is average-low for an MD applicant. I have had a rewarding application cycle with multiple interviews and acceptances.*

I am not trying to be arrogant, because I can not only empathize with - but I was and in some ways still am, an insecure, anxious undergrand and pre-med - but to share my experience. Multiple Bs in my BCPM classes didn't destroy my application, but to get my grades up to MD applicant level, I had to get nearly straight As for 3 years.

*My MCAT is also >35 and over the 90th percentile at most of the schools I applied for. I am not sure I would have had the same success with a 28 or 30 or even 32.

Members don't see this ad.

Also... 3.74 is not "average-low", you were pretty set :)

Congratulations on your success and a** kicking in terms of getting your grades up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great work for sure. So, having a large number of credits surpassing what you need to graduate is not a problem? I was duel enrolled from high school and entered college with >30 credits. I want to take the normal amount of time to graduate, but I will have plenty of extra credit hours to buff up my GPA and keep me from dropping into part time. This shouldn't be a problem, should it? @Catalystik

Your GPA sounds good to me too... And baring a good MCAT and other stats, I agree that you didn't have to worry about the slight slip up early on