Cryonics could never work, could it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeraldMonroe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Studying neuroscience has made me little depressed. If all that makes us an individual is information stored in our brains, then once our brains die that's the end. The depressing part is when I learned about how many diseases cause neurons to die, deleting our personalities a tiny piece at a time until nothing is left but an empty husk. Even if some deity actually runs an afterlife, I'd rather continue living in this existence with all my memories intact, if it were possible.

So there's these folks out there that seek to dodge this problem by having their brains frozen. Could never work, right - there's billions of cells in the brain, and the freezing process is going to cause serious damage to every single neuron, process, mitochondrion, the rest. Everything is mortally wounded when a person dies and is frozen.

Well, one of the firms (Alcor) wrote some technical papers where they describe how and why they think this technology could work.

For the same of discussion, let me simplify their arguments :

1. They argue that all of the information stored in our brain (our memories) is stored as groupings of protein structures. So, if a particular neuron has "X" number of dendritic spines and "Y" number of receptors of a particular type, that neuron is storing information encoded in the X + Y. It's more complex than this : there's epigenetics, self amplifying proteins, and a whole mess of other things that have a role in determining what information a neuron is storing.

2. After a brain is frozen to the temperature of liquid nitrogen, all of those proteins are still there. Today, if we took a single neuron and examined it under an atomic force microscope, we could eventually (it would take years) figure out precisely how many molecules of each protein were present in that neuron. We could write down "there's 4234324 AMPA receptors" here and there's "4343" molecules of protein Y here. If we had an accurate computer simulation of a neuron, we could enter that data in and create a simulated neuron that behaved almost exactly like the original neuron behaves.

In short, we'd have copied the information stored in that neuron into another form.

3. So if one believes that the information is still present in a dead person's mind, then using some fantastic future technology one could actually recover the memories stored there. Using further fantastic technology, one could create a rebuilt/restored version of the original person who had the same memories as the original person. That person, if awake, would believe that they were the original.

4. The Alcor folks argue that said fantastic future technology is a long way off, but is a logical result of current technological trends. Scientists are working on designing machines that are built atom by atom and have atomic level gears and pumps and valves and injection probes and so forth.

Some day, a machine could be build that would resemble a tiny microchip. On one side of the device it would be fed with energy, atoms as feedstock, and data input. On the other side of the device, it would be capable of laying down a pattern, atom by atom, for any arbitrary structure you dream up.

All this would occur at very low temperatures (so that the atoms you lay down don't move around too much) and in vacuum.

Science fiction? Well, the biochem class I'm taking has thousands of examples of real life proteins that add specific atoms to biological molecules, under far more chaotic conditions than this man-made machine would operate under.

How would you build such a fantastically complex machine? Well, you might use roboticly controlled atomic force microscopes to slowly and painstakingly build the first one. Then, once you've built the first "atomic replicator" at the cost of billions of dollars, you start it working....building the next "atomic replicator" much faster. You then have those two "atomic replicators"...

What about designing an atomic replicator? Human beings could never design a device so complex, could they? Well, this machine would basically have functional units, each of which is able to add a particular element to an object being constructed. So you'd just have an army of thousands of engineers design each functional unit once, and the atomic replicator would be a grid of billions of these things. I've read that currently, quantum mechanics mean that atomic level machines are hard to design, but somehow biological proteins work....

CONCLUSION
I know of no legitimate objections to the arguments made by Alcor. I can't claim nanotechnology isn't possible because I myself am a large object made atom by atom. Every part of me, down to the water molecules in my cells, was moved around atom by atom. (aquaporins are atomic level channels. Amino acids are synthesized carbon atom by carbon atom)

Alcor argues that once we can make anything we want atom by atom, we would build machines that could, atom by atom, cut through the frozen brain samples they have. Data storing the position of every important molecule (water and ions would be ignored) would be kept in some gigantic computer memory...also made atom by atom, so the computer would fit in a closet.

And, once we can store in a computer memory the exact details of all of the billions of synapses in the brain, we could run a high speed simulation of neurons and quickly and easily build a working "artificial intelligence" who would be a simulation of a dead person. Presumably that dead person would have been a world class expert in neuroscience or nanotechnology. The simulation would run on computer circuits made atom by atom, and so would run about 10 million times quicker than a biological brain. The 'artificial intelligence', given 10 million years to work for every real world year, would be able to rapidly and easily solve any remaining problems in the way of bringing everyone back to life, from Walt Disney to all the other kooks who froze themselves.

I'm just a pre-med medical student. What am I missing, here? Why won't another 100-200 years of technological progress bring about some kind of comparable technology to what I describe? Why could a dead person's brain not be rebuilt and brought back into functioning order if you had more computing power than all the human beings on the planet combined and the ability to move individual atoms around on a massive scale?

Granted, Walt Disney might not wake up to see such a weird future world. I think there would be consequences to technology like I'm describing : I don't thing the world would resemble anything any of us alive have ever seen. The main point of my question is what technical limitations would stop this from happening. Also, granted, spiritually, who knows what "God" might do. Maybe he'd send the soul of the person back from heaven/hell to reinhabit the rebuilt body. Maybe he'd give the new body a fresh, new soul. Maybe God isn't real and none of the above would happen. That is irrelevant for determining what would happen if you tried to do this, unless you believe that God would become upset and intervene.

Some arguments I've seen are that since it's never been done before (well, some chimps got chilled and revived) one can't scientifically say if it is possible at all. From that reasoning, one cannot credibly argue that a manned mission to Mars is possible : no one has ever built a rocket with that kind of range and payload capacity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
holy crap that's long. I stopped reading after the first paragraph...sorry, I've got the attention span of a two-year-old.

Sorry, it's a complicated subject. It's such a crazy idea that I felt I had to fully explain the major points to it because without that information, you'd simply assume it could never work. Freezing and rethawing is of course impossible : the ice crystals and the toxins used as antifreeze would kill every neuron in your brain. Nearly every cell would be "dead" beyond repair upon rethawing. Heat up Walt Disney (I choose him as an example because he's usually the one everyone knows about) today and you'd end up with a thawed piece of rapidly rotting meat.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your ramblings did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. Madison, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your ramblings did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

So....you're saying that atomic level machines aren't possible within technology that humans could develop in 200 years? Or proposing using them to reconstruct a corpse is irrational? Dead is dead, God has taken their soul and intends for them to be dead. Atoms are too small for us to ever understand or manipulate. Got it.

Even if some deity actually runs an afterlife, I'd rather continue living in this existence with all my memories intact, if it were possible.

You can't say that because you haven't experienced what such an afterlife is like, so you don't rly know if you would like here better, probably not X)

I'd rather continue living in this existence with all my memories intact, if it were possible.

As a twenty something? Or do you think you'll have the same outlook when your 85?

I think we need to learn more about what a consciousness actually is before we can try artificially creating/manipulating one. Dendrite spines and cell receptors don't even begin to address the hard problem of consciousness.

As a twenty something? Or do you think you'll have the same outlook when your 85?
I think we need to learn more about what a consciousness actually is before we can try artificially creating/manipulating one. Dendrite spines and cell receptors don't even begin to address the hard problem of consciousness.

Does an ink jet printer need to know why a Rembrandt is a good painting when it prints out a copy of one? Or does it merely need to know the position of a few million dots of ink?

As for restoring youthful outlook : compared to rebuilding something so complicated we need exponential notation to describe the magnitude of the task, I think that would be pretty easy to solve... I think if the near impossible task could be solved (converting frozen meat back into a working mind) then a person's mood could be tweaked a little so they don't live their second life as a cranky 85 year old.

Even if some deity actually runs an afterlife, I'd rather continue living in this existence with all my memories intact, if it were possible.
You can't say that because you haven't experienced what such an afterlife is like, so you don't rly know if you would like here better, probably not X)
I hope so. Despite my wall of text above, I seriously doubt cryonics would work. Even if my remains were somehow reconstructed, I doubt I would have the same consciousness as the person who died.

I'm just struggling with the idea that this is even plausible.

Last edited:
Frogs freeze themselves every winter and are in an extreme low energy state. The glucose prevents freeze thaw cell damage. There is something to it.

We cant even get a gasoline engine that's >40% efficient, hell no cryogenics isnt possible.

The 40% efficiency is mostly the fault of the Carnot equations for thermodynamics. Are you saying that nanomachines, supplied with massive amounts of external energy and guided by computers would not be able to work without violating thermodynamics?

Frogs freeze themselves every winter and are in an extreme low energy state. The glucose prevents freeze thaw cell damage. There is something to it.

I'm not talking about rethawing. Before heating the brain back to operating temperature, you would have rebuilt it atom by atom, repairing all damage and leaving spacers so that ice crystals would not cause damage during reheating. What frogs do is like flint axe technology versus a moon rocket. Even that might not work : you might just tear the brain to pieces but record the data stored in the memory structures, and build a simulated computer personality with the same memories.

Either way, it would be a philosophical question whether the rebuilt person were the same. Maybe cryonics is comparable to leaving a diary behind in a time capsule... a really detailed diary that could be interrogated...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just rebuild yourself an easier way by cloning your body and transplanting your brain.

Why not just rebuild yourself an easier way by cloning your body and transplanting your brain.

Because the technology to do that without killing you may not be FDA approved this century.

The 40% efficiency is mostly the fault of the Carnot equations for thermodynamics. Are you saying that nanomachines, supplied with massive amounts of external energy and guided by computers would not be able to work without violating thermodynamics?

The Carnot equations prohibit 100% efficiency, they dont make it so we need to be 40% efficient.

I am saying that the technology needed to make complex machines on an atomic scale isnt possible and wont be until we master some of the more basic aspects of science and engineering. Assuming we could build these tiny extremely precise machines (which we cant), we dont have the ability to program a computer to manipulate things on an atomic scale because we cant even predict what atoms bigger than hydrogen are doing half the time (yea we could guess, but how many errors would it take to kill your brain?).

The Carnot equations prohibit 100% efficiency, they dont make it so we need to be 40% efficient.

I am saying that the technology needed to make complex machines on an atomic scale isnt possible and wont be until we master some of the more basic aspects of science and engineering. Assuming we could build these tiny extremely precise machines (which we cant), we dont have the ability to program a computer to manipulate things on an atomic scale because we cant even predict what atoms bigger than hydrogen are doing half the time (yea we could guess, but how many errors would it take to kill your brain?).

I agree on the first part. The whole idea of cryonics is that it's possible within 200 years which is about the length of time that the Foundations who offer it have enough money to buy liquid nitrogen for. A good chunk of all the technological progress that has ever been made in human history was made over the last 200 years.

For the second part : you're referring to quantum effects, which are hopefully too small to matter for the purpose of reconstructing a brain. This is one of the reasons people argue it isn't possible : they argue that the brain is a quantum computer, and quickly experiences quantum decoherence when the cells die.

Last edited:
If you want a machine to successfully interface with something on the atomic level, quantum effects are critical in your calculations. Bonds between atoms cant be manipulated without these considerations and the truth of it is that we really cant figure it out because it is all based on, as far as we can tell, chance.

If you want a machine to successfully interface with something on the atomic level, quantum effects are critical in your calculations. Bonds between atoms cant be manipulated without these considerations and the truth of it is that we really cant figure it out because it is all based on, as far as we can tell, chance.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the process of repairing a human brain, not building an atomic level assembler. Yes, quantum effects would be a serious issue. People trying to build nanomachines (simple stuff, like gears and conveyor belts) how found that nothing behaves the same at that scale.

So how big are these brain assemblers going to be then? If you are trying to build a perfect crystal I dont think you can just put a cell-sized robot in there and expect it to perform with the precision needed to perfectly freeze a brain without destroying it.

So how big are these brain assemblers going to be then? If you are trying to build a perfect crystal I dont think you can just put a cell-sized robot in there and expect it to perform with the precision needed to perfectly freeze a brain without destroying it.

The robots would not be cell sized, they would look kind of like microchips to the naked eye. Each one would be a massive grid of atomic level manipulators and sensors.

The first step would be to, atom by atom, cut the brain in half. As you're cutting it in half, the computer is recording every molecule found above a certain size.

You then cut the halves in half, and those halves in half, and so on until you have tiny pieces that can be worked on. As you work on each tiny piece, you essentially replace every major biomolecule with a fresh one. Everything is still frozen at a very low temperature (probably under 3 kelvin) so nothing goes anywhere. Somehow, the computer controlling the process has to recognize what damage looked like, and figure out a way to repair it. Many stages would need meticulous reconstruction - if an ice crystal has ripped a synapse loose, you have to predict via a computer model what the synapse originally looked like.

Ironically, this task would probably require superhuman intelligence : an AI, if you will, because human beings would not be smart enough nor have the thinking capacity to make these kind of judgments on such a colossal scale.

Many people rationally predict that such extreme levels of technology will be available within 200 years, because such technology could be self replicating and self improving. (if within 200 years we develop the first computer program that is smart enough to rewrite itself, it could iteratively become smarter until it vastly exceeds our own intelligence)

With that said, it would be a strange experience to be an inmate of some super-being that reconstructed you. That's probably a big downside : the technology needed to rebuild a frozen brain is probably so extreme that you would have no worth or value in the future. No labor you could perform or creative thought you might have would be of any use to anyone. You might be alive, but you would be a relic.

Worse, the technology would allow the beings who recreated you to abuse you in all kinds of ways that cannot be imagined today.

That's the flaw, right there. Took me a few hours to see it. Cryonics probably does work. At least some of the people frozen today could be restored to working order. But the technology required to do this would have to be so powerful that the lives of the revived people would have no meaning.

Nothing a human being could make with his or her hands would compare to what an atomic level replicator could build. No mental labor a human being can perform could compare to the task of rebuilding one frozen brain. It would be like employing a team of pathologists and the best molecular biologists for several million years.

Also, even if there were a way to resurrect a frozen mind without super-human intelligence, the very technology that could do so would, be definition, allow humans to build extremely powerful "strong AI" which would in essence make humans moot.

Last edited:
So you admit that it is interfacing at an atomic level--how do you propose you deal with the statistical nature of QM without frying whoevers brain you are building?

So you admit that it is interfacing at an atomic level--how do you propose you deal with the statistical nature of QM without frying whoevers brain you are building?

Because quantum mechanics doesn't stop you from putting an individual hydrogen atom onto whatever molecule you want, and forcing the electrons into a particular orbital configuration. Biological enzymes do this all the time. Quantum mechanics DOES stop you from putting an electron into a specific orbit and being able to predict it's location and velocity at the same time. The best you could do is control what energy shell an electron is in.

Now, when you are designing a 'nano-machine', you'll find that quantum mechanics does make materials behave differently than they do at a macroscopic level. For instance, some lubricants don't work. However, at the level a 'nano-machine' would run at, it would still work fine despite the uncertainties of quantum mechanics. I recall reading an article on the subject - researchers found that normal lubricants were too sticky at the atomic level for making the gears of a demonstration nano-machine (due to QM effects) - but they tried a different substance that is not a lubricant at the macroscopic level, and it worked fine.

bro, you're going to die on this wet rock just like every other primate in history

deal with it

abb639ee87e7f36fd877e3e212a87f41.png

My work here is done.

So if we restore a copy of a brain, then the memories are there? But that brain isn't you. It has the same personality and memories, but YOU aren't there. I'm not religious and I don't believe in souls but if you just think about it, there's something more to it. :idea:

Worse, the technology would allow the beings who recreated you to abuse you in all kinds of ways that cannot be imagined today.

That's a very bizarre thing to say. There are plenty of awful ways for people to abuse you today, I don't see how that's relevant to anything.

That's the flaw, right there. Took me a few hours to see it. Cryonics probably does work. At least some of the people frozen today could be restored to working order. But the technology required to do this would have to be so powerful that the lives of the revived people would have no meaning.

I think you're taking an overly utilitarian point of view. People in the future would undertake this challenge out of human curiosity, not because they need someone to sod their lawn. And if you can imagine this process working, then it's not a far leap to imagine another 100 years down the road when the process is perfected and doesn't require the sort of resources and effort that the prototype did. In any case, guessing the disposition of futuroman is at best speculation.

:thumbup: I like the quoting billy madison even if no one else got it, especially the OP

I hope so. Despite my wall of text above, I seriously doubt cryonics would work. Even if my remains were somehow reconstructed, I doubt I would have the same consciousness as the person who died.

I'm just struggling with the idea that this is even plausible.

You've hit the nail on the head. Would you be the same person your brain was reconstructed into an identical copy but nonetheless different physical mass? Probably not.

Follow this: Let's say that this atomic builder is possible to construct. Furthermore, let's say (for the sake of argument) that the process you mentioned to copy structural information from one person's brain (by counting receptors, other proteins, axons/dendrites, etc.) could be accomplished while the original subject is still alive. If this is the case, then we could build a copy of you while the original you was still alive. Would you have the same conciousness in both people? No. So would you simply be "revived" when a copy of you is made from the template of your dead brain? Again, no. If this freezing stuff could work (assuming it works by making a "copy") we're not extending lives but creating new ones.

...I think

Last edited:
Because quantum mechanics doesn't stop you from putting an individual hydrogen atom onto whatever molecule you want, and forcing the electrons into a particular orbital configuration. Biological enzymes do this all the time. Quantum mechanics DOES stop you from putting an electron into a specific orbit and being able to predict it's location and velocity at the same time. The best you could do is control what energy shell an electron is in.

Wolfgang Pauli's exclusion principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. So it's not like you could put an any any configuration you please. No?

i think cloning like someone mentioned might be the way to go. although your clone might not appreciate haveing his brain taken out and replaced by your. i mean how far are we from brain transplants versus freezing and successfully thawin people? which one is more realistic in the future?

Wolfgang Pauli's exclusion principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. So it's not like you could put an any any configuration you please. No?

Umm, yeah, you're right. I didn't describe it very well. Point is, you can swap a methyl group for a proton, or do one of countless other atomic swaps. At no point is quantum mechanics preventing you from doing that. Atoms are big, and Heisenberg uncertainty does not play at major role for atom sized objects. You can know an atom's velocity and location with plenty of precision. In fact, at the extremely low temperatures you would be moving atoms around at, even hydrogen would be relatively quiescent.

i think cloning like someone mentioned might be the way to go. although your clone might not appreciate haveing his brain taken out and replaced by your. i mean how far are we from brain transplants versus freezing and successfully thawin people? which one is more realistic in the future?

Actually, would be simpler to stick a few gene knockouts in your clone's genome so that your clone grows up without a well developed cortex - just lower brain structures. And yes, even if the clones didn't have brains, this process would be ridiculously controversial. I think the technology to do a brain transplant into a clone could be developed from today's tech : with lots of funding, it could probably be done in 10-20 years. But, funding something like this is political suicide - no institution or government could even consider it. Some wealthy billionaire would have to pay the bill, and the services would be offered in some secret clinic in a foreign jurisdiction with lax ethics laws.

I mean, if you think abortion is bad : in this case you're creating genetically modified cloned human beings that are severely mentally ******ed, to the point that they cannot move or feel anything. You're then going to cut out a chunk of their brain tissue to make room for the brain of some elderly billionaire, and install thousands of electrodes in the brains of the billionaire and the clone (a computer would then link up the spinal tracts to nuclei in the brain....no this probably wouldn't work very well, but the billionaire might be able to get some movement and sensation)

Umm, legally, when you cut the brain out of the clone that MIGHT be murder in most legal jurisdictions...I'm not sure, since the clone's body is still breathing and you could argue that you are "treating" the clone for mental ******ation by giving it a brain transplant. After all, a surgeon can cut out my lungs and give me someone else's, and that isn't murder.

That's almost worthy of a side thread : to discuss the legality of something like this.

Last edited:
I think it'd be easier to pop yourself in a spaceship going 0.9999999 the speed of light and go in a massive orbit around earth, returning about 10,000 years later when hopefully artificial intelligence will have found a way to allow your consciousness to live forever... but the cyronics thing is cool too.

I think it'd be easier to pop yourself in a spaceship going 0.9999999 the speed of light and go in a massive orbit around earth, returning about 10,000 years later when hopefully artificial intelligence will have found a way to allow your consciousness to live forever... but the cyronics thing is cool too.

Ironically, you'd need technology that could give you biological immortality as a side effect in order to survive the gamma rays you'd encounter at that speed. One neat trick of physics is that if you hit a photon at a high speed, the photon isn't moving any faster - but it DOES have more energy. So if I hit an "oncoming" photon from a star somewhere, the photon is still traveling at lightspeed relatively to my reference frame...BUT...it is blue shifted to have more energy. Traveling 99% of the speed of light, photons would have a lot more energy..and gamma rays would cut you to swiss cheese.

Last edited:
I am truly glad we have smart people to debate these things. Gives me the freedom to go drink a beer and worry about the Red Wings game instead of keeping my mind filled with the dark and dreary of how Walt is never coming back. Although, if he did, he'd probably **** himself when he saw how Pixar has changed his company.

I think a fairly accurate simulation of his memories at death and personality could probably be made using his frozen cadavar. The simulation would be intelligent, and capable of learning new things. But no, that isn't really the same thing as bringing back the dead, although it might be impossible to tell the difference.

yeah, basically create a body clone, without a brain. This way it is not really alive and will make transplant of my brain into my cloned body feasible. Though now I wonder what about my brain itself aging? Is consciousness simply a sum of disparate parts? Can two separate beings have but not share the same consciousness?

yeah, basically create a body clone, without a brain. This way it is not really alive and will make transplant of my brain into my cloned body feasible. Though now I wonder what about my brain itself aging? Is consciousness simply a sum of disparate parts? Can two separate beings have but not share the same consciousness?

Nobody knows for sure, but we do know that your consciousness is in your brain, and probably a function of your brain. Even if you had a 'soul', as it were, it communicates with the outside world using your brain. So if you did a brain transplant into a new body, you would still be the same person, albeit with a different body.

And yes, eventually your brain itself would die. Probably. Alzheimer's disease affects a good 1/3 of people in the 80s, and eventually would kill you if you were afflicted by it. Well, maybe : there's been a recent breakthrough in a drug that appears to block the disease mechanism. And the rare humans who have lived to over 110 sometimes have working brains without major deficits.

It's theoretically possible to beat the reaper until the universe runs low on free energy (about a trillion years), but extremely unlikely that anyone alive at the time I make this post will have this happen.

:rofl:

Has anyone here seen the movie Skeleton Key.

This conversation reminds of that movie. Maybe we should just steal the bodies of younger unsuspecting victims.

Studying neuroscience has made me little depressed. If all that makes us an individual is information stored in our brains, then once our brains die that's the end. The depressing part is when I learned about how many diseases cause neurons to die, deleting our personalities a tiny piece at a time until nothing is left but an empty husk. Even if some deity actually runs an afterlife, I'd rather continue living in this existence with all my memories intact, if it were possible.

So there's these folks out there that seek to dodge this problem by having their brains frozen. Could never work, right - there's billions of cells in the brain, and the freezing process is going to cause serious damage to every single neuron, process, mitochondrion, the rest. Everything is mortally wounded when a person dies and is frozen.

Well, one of the firms (Alcor) wrote some technical papers where they describe how and why they think this technology could work.

For the same of discussion, let me simplify their arguments :

1. They argue that all of the information stored in our brain (our memories) is stored as groupings of protein structures. So, if a particular neuron has "X" number of dendritic spines and "Y" number of receptors of a particular type, that neuron is storing information encoded in the X + Y. It's more complex than this : there's epigenetics, self amplifying proteins, and a whole mess of other things that have a role in determining what information a neuron is storing.

2. After a brain is frozen to the temperature of liquid nitrogen, all of those proteins are still there. Today, if we took a single neuron and examined it under an atomic force microscope, we could eventually (it would take years) figure out precisely how many molecules of each protein were present in that neuron. We could write down "there's 4234324 AMPA receptors" here and there's "4343" molecules of protein Y here. If we had an accurate computer simulation of a neuron, we could enter that data in and create a simulated neuron that behaved almost exactly like the original neuron behaves.

In short, we'd have copied the information stored in that neuron into another form.

3. So if one believes that the information is still present in a dead person's mind, then using some fantastic future technology one could actually recover the memories stored there. Using further fantastic technology, one could create a rebuilt/restored version of the original person who had the same memories as the original person. That person, if awake, would believe that they were the original.

4. The Alcor folks argue that said fantastic future technology is a long way off, but is a logical result of current technological trends. Scientists are working on designing machines that are built atom by atom and have atomic level gears and pumps and valves and injection probes and so forth.

Some day, a machine could be build that would resemble a tiny microchip. On one side of the device it would be fed with energy, atoms as feedstock, and data input. On the other side of the device, it would be capable of laying down a pattern, atom by atom, for any arbitrary structure you dream up.

All this would occur at very low temperatures (so that the atoms you lay down don't move around too much) and in vacuum.

Science fiction? Well, the biochem class I'm taking has thousands of examples of real life proteins that add specific atoms to biological molecules, under far more chaotic conditions than this man-made machine would operate under.

How would you build such a fantastically complex machine? Well, you might use roboticly controlled atomic force microscopes to slowly and painstakingly build the first one. Then, once you've built the first "atomic replicator" at the cost of billions of dollars, you start it working....building the next "atomic replicator" much faster. You then have those two "atomic replicators"...

What about designing an atomic replicator? Human beings could never design a device so complex, could they? Well, this machine would basically have functional units, each of which is able to add a particular element to an object being constructed. So you'd just have an army of thousands of engineers design each functional unit once, and the atomic replicator would be a grid of billions of these things. I've read that currently, quantum mechanics mean that atomic level machines are hard to design, but somehow biological proteins work....

CONCLUSION
I know of no legitimate objections to the arguments made by Alcor. I can't claim nanotechnology isn't possible because I myself am a large object made atom by atom. Every part of me, down to the water molecules in my cells, was moved around atom by atom. (aquaporins are atomic level channels. Amino acids are synthesized carbon atom by carbon atom)

Alcor argues that once we can make anything we want atom by atom, we would build machines that could, atom by atom, cut through the frozen brain samples they have. Data storing the position of every important molecule (water and ions would be ignored) would be kept in some gigantic computer memory...also made atom by atom, so the computer would fit in a closet.

And, once we can store in a computer memory the exact details of all of the billions of synapses in the brain, we could run a high speed simulation of neurons and quickly and easily build a working "artificial intelligence" who would be a simulation of a dead person. Presumably that dead person would have been a world class expert in neuroscience or nanotechnology. The simulation would run on computer circuits made atom by atom, and so would run about 10 million times quicker than a biological brain. The 'artificial intelligence', given 10 million years to work for every real world year, would be able to rapidly and easily solve any remaining problems in the way of bringing everyone back to life, from Walt Disney to all the other kooks who froze themselves.

I'm just a pre-med medical student. What am I missing, here? Why won't another 100-200 years of technological progress bring about some kind of comparable technology to what I describe? Why could a dead person's brain not be rebuilt and brought back into functioning order if you had more computing power than all the human beings on the planet combined and the ability to move individual atoms around on a massive scale?

Granted, Walt Disney might not wake up to see such a weird future world. I think there would be consequences to technology like I'm describing : I don't thing the world would resemble anything any of us alive have ever seen. The main point of my question is what technical limitations would stop this from happening. Also, granted, spiritually, who knows what "God" might do. Maybe he'd send the soul of the person back from heaven/hell to reinhabit the rebuilt body. Maybe he'd give the new body a fresh, new soul. Maybe God isn't real and none of the above would happen. That is irrelevant for determining what would happen if you tried to do this, unless you believe that God would become upset and intervene.

Some arguments I've seen are that since it's never been done before (well, some chimps got chilled and revived) one can't scientifically say if it is possible at all. From that reasoning, one cannot credibly argue that a manned mission to Mars is possible : no one has ever built a rocket with that kind of range and payload capacity.

I think that may take the cake as the longest SDN post ever.

I had to stop reading

So, Im not particularly knowledgeable about cryonics, but why be so sure it wouldnt work on the brain? Just curious. Certainly it works well for many types of cells with high viability.

Indeed.

Would you really want to live forever? I think at some point I'd get tired of living.

Well, if that time comes, I suppose you could always "get some rest" and jump off a 30-something story balcony.

Well, if that time comes, I suppose you could always "get some rest" and jump off a 30-something story balcony.
You wouldn't be able to. If super-intelligent machines of the future revived you (and I've concluded that the technology to turn a frozen piece of meat back into a working brain would require said intelligent machines) they would probably not allow you to destroy their property. There's a thousand ways that you could be stopped from jumping, such as a simple nervous system override that prevents you from actually taking the final leap.

Or, maybe they would just keep your brain state recorded somewhere so you can be rebuilt from backup. Probably the most convenient option.

It is unlikely that super-powerful machines of the future will do anything other than enslave the human race. You'll be the guy on the ground, Gerald. Are you prepared to deal with this? Because I'm not.

Terminator_PUB10.jpg