C's and B's in Dental School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon1025

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it big deal getting multiple C's and B's in dental school? and ofcourse you don't plan on specializing. Many schools are P/F and it doesnt seem to matter how well you perform in your classes as long as you pass. What is your take on this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you'll still be called a dentist, so no it doesnt matter.

I wouldn't strive for C's, but if you get a few here and there I wouldn't sweat it.

At graduation it's important that your competent and that you understand why you do what you do. You'd be surprised how many people at the top of the class have no clue why they do what they do (pre)clinically. It really bothers me.

Also, I'm under the assumption that many (not all) of the P/F schools still rank students? Maybe someone could confirm this.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
The person that graduates last in their dental class is still called Doctor. C's = Degrees. Some schools have a minimal GPA requirement which might be set higher than 2.0 (straight Cs). My school is graded (A,B,C,F) I do know people who have no desire to specialize and treat every class as Pass/Fail...Just make a C or better.

Now, I'm not saying you should strive for straight Cs...but I also would agree that its more important to know the material that is taught to you than making a good grade on the test.

Last edited:
If you knew the information then shouldn't you get a good grade on the test? Sounds like you are looking for someone to tell you that it is ok to be average. Maybe you should go talk to your mom. I am sure she will tell you you're special.

Just because you don't plan on "specializing" doesn't mean that you don't need to know what is taught.

If you knew the information then shouldn't you get a good grade on the test? Sounds like you are looking for someone to tell you that it is ok to be average. Maybe you should go talk to your mom. I am sure she will tell you you're special.

Just because you don't plan on "specializing" doesn't mean that you don't need to know what is taught.

There is a difference between doing well on an exam and truely trying to understand the material. True, most of the time if you understand the material you will do just fine... but there are times I have "understood" the vast majority of the information but I got questions wrong because I was being tested on unnecessary nit-picky things -- a minute detail that was bullet number 5 of 12 on slide 23 of an 83 slide presentation.

Hup

There is a difference between doing well on an exam and truely trying to understand the material. True, most of the time if you understand the material you will do just fine... but there are times I have "understood" the vast majority of the information but I got questions wrong because I was being tested on unnecessary nit-picky things -- a minute detail that was bullet number 5 of 12 on slide 23 of an 83 slide presentation.

agreed, Hup.

I don't think getting C's and B's in dental school is a problem as long as you understand the material and are a competent dentist.
Your classmates might make you feel otherwise, though. I find that lots of my non-specializing dental school peers are still in undergrad mode and striving for those A's. It might feel weird getting a B or a C after getting straight A's in undergrad.

I'd also like to point out that not all classes are equal in dental school which relate to how competent of a dentist you will be. I believe that knowing dental anatomy, and performing well in Preclinical Operative dentistry are much more important than knowing the physiology of the inner ear or being able to identify a tissue from a slide of a vas deferens in histology.

Hup
Not to mention that knowing the material on the powerpoint presentations doesn't necessarily mean you can actually perform the procedure. Don't know about you but I'd rather have someone working in my mouth who understood the concepts AND is able to apply them not just upchuck the random bullet points at will.

Not to mention that knowing the material on the powerpoint presentations doesn't necessarily mean you can actually perform the procedure. Don't know about you but I'd rather have someone working in my mouth who understood the concepts AND is able to apply them not just upchuck the random bullet points at will.

:thumbup:

if you're aiming for C's then you shouldn't be in dental school. if you tried your best and received C's then you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

You're a punk. Grow up.

if you're aiming for C's then you shouldn't be in dental school. if you tried your best and received C's then you are fine.
Word.

Really, if you're just "striving" for C's then you likely won't be spending a lot of time perfecting your lab skills, instead opting just to pass and go home. Do your best.

Someone should just clearly answer the poster's question: C's don't matter if you don't plan to specialize...business skills matter a lot on the outside. Connections are highly important in private practice. A lot of dentists would rather hire personable and likeable characters who they may need to teach a thing or two too than stuffy, dull, and competent know it alls - which dental school seems to be full of unfortunately. Just my two cents, ;)

I'd also like to point out that not all classes are equal in dental school which relate to how competent of a dentist you will be. I believe that knowing dental anatomy, and performing well in Preclinical Operative dentistry are much more important than knowing the physiology of the inner ear or being able to identify a tissue from a slide of a vas deferens in histology.

In response to NoMo, this is what I would've said. A dentist knowing every reaction and product of the Calvin Cycle has no relevance to his/her competency as a dentist.

Someone should just clearly answer the poster's question: C's don't matter if you don't plan to specialize...business skills matter a lot on the outside. Connections are highly important in private practice. A lot of dentists would rather hire personable and likeable characters who they may need to teach a thing or two too than stuffy, dull, and competent know it alls - which dental school seems to be full of unfortunately. Just my two cents, ;)

I'm really glad someone pointed this out. Too many people (especially on the Pre-dents side of this forum) think that grades translate directly to success which translates directly to money. Often, patients believe its how a dentist handles his practice and his personal interactions that determines if he is a good dentist or not.

I wouldn't strive for C's, but if you get a few here and there I wouldn't sweat it.

At graduation it's important that your competent and that you understand why you do what you do. You'd be surprised how many people at the top of the class have no clue why they do what they do (pre)clinically. It really bothers me.

Also, I'm under the assumption that many (not all) of the P/F schools still rank students? Maybe someone could confirm this.

Hup
How many top-of-the-classers do you know? Maybe i should stay away from dentists graduating from your school :p

Some of this sounds like the ugly girl making herself feel better by saying that pretty girls aren't smart. I mean - does anyone REALLY think that those in the top of their class don't truly understand how to use/apply the material they learn? What?

And to the OP - who are you asking it's "OK" for? Is it ok with me? *shrug* I mean - it's ok with the school if you get all C's if that's the passing grade. Is it ok with you?

How many top-of-the-classers do you know? Maybe i should stay away from dentists graduating from your school :p

Some of this sounds like the ugly girl making herself feel better by saying that pretty girls aren't smart. I mean - does anyone REALLY think that those in the top of their class don't truly understand how to use/apply the material they learn? What?

And to the OP - who are you asking it's "OK" for? Is it ok with me? *shrug* I mean - it's ok with the school if you get all C's if that's the passing grade. Is it ok with you?

I'm with you girl. I guess there is a FALSE general consensus that the top performers in dental school "do not have a good understanding of what they learn, why they learrn it, and they cannot apply their knowledge to anything. Oh, and they also have very bad hand skills". It's exactly like the ugly girl trying to get some relief by saying that the cute girls are dumb. You hit it on the nail!
To the OP: You are fine as long as you pass your courses and understand the main points of each course, but you don't have to expect to get yourself into any especialty program, which obviously as you mentioned, you don't.

you're too funny. re-read my post. i wasn't making any sweeping generalizations. Just stating that those at the top of the class won't always make the best dentists.

Cheers,
Hup

Newsflash: The tests usually do not follow the material covered in class.

That creates a gamble and high importance of previous undergrad classes.

So it becomes hard to figure out.

Learn what you can.

Hopefully each of us can fill in the correct circles :)