C's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thumbelina

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
C in Orgo and C+ in Physics in one semester...what's the next step? Retake classes or simply continue w/ Orgo II and Physics II?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your GPA before and after these two classes? If your GPA is borderline, you should probably think about retaking them. Especially since these are courses that you need to understand in order to do well in Orgo II and Physics II. And obviously, you will see these subjects again on the MCAT. However, if there is some kind of strange circumstance surrounding the grade - like one of your teachers is notoriously difficult and most of the class got C's but a learned a lot, you might be able to get by without re-taking if your GPA is high enough to let you slide. But if you wanted to get by without retaking, you would really need to go into orgo II and physics II and pull A's to prove that the C's weren't good evaluations of your ability. You know better than anyone if you learned enough to pull this off. I have to say however, that I think this is a dangerous game. It's never a good idea to get a C in an important pre-med class and not try to re-take. And if you do decide to go on, and do poorly, you will probably have to go back and take these classes over again anyway, and you'll just end up being farther behind.

I'm not sure you can retake courses if you get a C or better! I've always been under the impression (at least at my school it was like this) that if you pass a class you are not allowed to retake it.

So if this is the case, obviously you should try to learn as much as possible to go strong into the second semester of each class.

The other VERY important thing is to do very well on the MCAT sciences so you can prove to the adcoms that you really are capable of handling the material.

If it's any consolation, I too had a C and it happened to be in the third quarter of O. Chem. Surprisingly out of 16 interviews no one ever mentioned it. But maybe that was because I got pretty much straight A's for the next two years. But you get my point. They want to see improvement and consistency.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with the previous post- i had two C+'s freshman year (physics and calc) but followed with solid grades after that, and none of my interviewers asked me about them (this after i had an answer prepared and everything! ah well...)

bud

Some schools won't let you re-take if you get a passing grade. The school I atttend lets you re-take regardless of what grade you got. I'm assuming this girl is in the same situation since she seems to be considering this as an option. If she can't, and doesn't know the material enough to go on, she might be able to audit the class, or just sit in on it w/o receiving a grade.

If it makes you feel any better, I made straight C's (my ONLY C's) in General & Organic Chem. I have a great GPA though and I truly believe that it has helped soften up those grades! While I haven't been accepted yet, I have been waitlisted at one school and have upcoming interviews.

My solution (the only solution since my school doesn't allow retakes on passing grades) was to kick butt in Biochem to prove I had the basic stuff under my belt. You'll also need to do well on those sections of the MCAT, of course, to ultimately prove you've learned it.

Cobra's right-- just chill and nail biochem, pchem, or whatever other 'chem class you'll be taking. Do well there, and don't flub the MCAT, and you'll be fine-- it'll be the same crapshoot for you as everyone else.
wink.gif
I made a C in organic my soph. year and I was accepted first time around-- so it CAN be done.

take it easy

homonculus

oops-- i forgot about physics. Physics is funny-- personally I don't think they care what you get in that class. The primary reason you take it is simply because it's on the MCAT. Has any physician you've talked to said, "Well, you know if I had to do it all over again I would have concentrated more on physics"?
smile.gif

take it easy

homonculus

You have the order reversed, homunculus.
The primary reason it is on the MCAT is because you have to take physics as an admission requirement.

i'm glad i'm not the only one giving this advice, but don't sweat it. i freaked out and almost didn't apply to med school because i made 5 C's in pre recs. 2 c's in org chem, 1 C in gen chem, 2c's in physics. i made a b in genetics and b in zoology. i ended up with a 3.5 in engineering from a state school with a good engineering program, but i freaked out big time and basically thought i had no chance. when i was staring at a career i wouldn't have enjoyed, though, i decided to give it a shot. i eventually did well on the mcat after 3 tries, and i just got into my state med school. cheer up, and just learn from your mistakes. my problem in school was i used every other excuse for my grades other than the fact that i just wasn't putting forth enough effort. after 3 years of undergrad, i put forth the effort and averaged a 3.8 my last two years. if you do the same, all of the c's will be history. btw, my c's weren't brought up in interviews either. one lady actually told me that i shouldn't be hard on myself, that i had a lot to be proud of. good luck.

I appreciate the feedback, everyone. I hope that you're not just being kind in your responses!

Bottom line: do not worry about getting those PAST "C"'s. Worry about getting any FUTURE "C"s.

None. Not even one.