CSA, didn't match in the 2nd iteration, feeling kind of lost.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihavenolife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Canadian-borne who studied in the Caribbean, just found out today (2nd iteration) that I didn't match,
feeling pretty worthless. Had 2 interviews, thought both went pretty well, and got follow-up emails from the PDs saying that they enjoyed meeting me and were interested. (Jesus Christ I hate this process.)

What should I do during this year till next cycle? I think I have one more try in me before I quit this process for good. (Did the MCCEE/NAC, writing the QE1 soon.) Hopefully I'll find a job or something that I can do to make myself seem like a stronger candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear you didn't Match. Did you only apply for residency in Canada or did you also apply to the US Match?

Hi all,

Canadian-borne who studied in the Caribbean, just found out today (2nd iteration) that I didn't match,
feeling pretty worthless. Had 2 interviews, thought both went pretty well, and got follow-up emails from the PDs saying that they enjoyed meeting me and were interested. (Jesus Christ I hate this process.)

What should I do during this year till next cycle? I think I have one more try in me before I quit this process for good. (Did the MCCEE/NAC, writing the QE1 soon.) Hopefully I'll find a job or something that I can do to make myself seem like a stronger candidate.

Why didn't you apply to the US NRMP match? Also, what specialty?

You said you have "one more try in you", is this not your first time applying to CaRMS?

Missing a lot of info and clarity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any electives in Canada? Getting those LORs and connections back home really helps.

Why didn't you apply to the US NRMP match? Also, what specialty?

You said you have "one more try in you", is this not your first time applying to CaRMS?

Missing a lot of info and clarity.

This was my first attempt in CaRMs, however I was really optimistic (foolishly so) because I scored high on the EE/NAC/QE1 (401/81/531, all first attempts).
Going to apply to the US match in the next round, I never ended up doing the CS, only wrote Step1/Step2CK because, I was foolishly optimistic about my chances in Canada.

Did you do any electives in Canada? Getting those LORs and connections back home really helps.

I did 5 electives in Canada, got strong LORs. I honestly am just really depressed and trying to prep for writing the CS/Step3 before the US cycle starts.

This was my first attempt in CaRMs, however I was really optimistic (foolishly so) because I scored high on the EE/NAC/QE1 (401/81/531, all first attempts).
Going to apply to the US match in the next round, I never ended up doing the CS, only wrote Step1/Step2CK because, I was foolishly optimistic about my chances in Canada.

I did 5 electives in Canada, got strong LORs. I honestly am just really depressed and trying to prep for writing the CS/Step3 before the US cycle starts.

In your OP you said you havent wrote qe1 yet, but now you have a score?

Anyways, you should be applying to the US. Reapply canada if you want too, better odds in the us.

Also what speciality? Make sure you know the statement of need rules etc

In your OP you said you havent wrote qe1 yet, but now you have a score?

Anyways, you should be applying to the US. Reapply canada if you want too, better odds in the us.

Also what speciality? Make sure you know the statement of need rules etc

I didn't have the QE1 score when I applied, I wrote the exam in Oct. 2017, results didn't come out till after applications go in.
Applying to FM/Psych/Internal, cookie cutter stuff. I'll make sure to apply to USA this cycle, doing the CS soon.
What else can I do to bolster my application in the meantime?

I didn't have the QE1 score when I applied, I wrote the exam in Oct. 2017, results didn't come out till after applications go in.
Applying to FM/Psych/Internal, cookie cutter stuff. I'll make sure to apply to USA this cycle, doing the CS soon.
What else can I do to bolster my application in the meantime?

If you haven't graduated try to delay graduation and do electives. If not, try to do research.