CSA Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to take the CSA in 2 weeks in the atlanta location. I have a few questions regarding the exam itself and its preparation from those who have taken the exam already or those who have friends who has taken it.

1. I am using 'Mastering the OSCE and CSA' by Reteguiz & Avendano for my preparation. Can anyone tell me if the same cases appeared on their exam? Is this a good prep for the CSA?

2. Does anyone remember the cases they had for their CSA exam?

3. What kind of prep and how long did you guys study for the CSA?

4. Are the cases include pediatric, OB/Gyne, and Pysch or is it strictly limited to Inetrnal Med, FP and Surgery?

5. What is the best method to prepare for this exam?

6. How is the CSA scored i.e. how is it graded?. What aspects of the exam is very important and scored highly?

7. Finally, do both locations have the same cases or do they differ? Do they change the cases at all or is it the same cases over and over?

Members don't see this ad.

The cases for CSA are copyrighted, so you can't legally say what you had (like "60 y/o female with CHF" (which I just made up)).

The scoring is your patient rapport, and your written eval. I've known a few people who failed, and abysmal handwriting has been the unifying factor.

One thing I'm not sure of is if you can fail one encounter, and pass the entire exam.

When I took it, I had general medical problems, psych, and peds interview (ie, the parents). No kids.

The standardized patients are really good (and as well they should be). I had to do a similar thing for Mt. Sinai (at the Morchand Center), and those SP's were histrionic and unrealistic.

As far as review, I can't help you. If you are a native English speaker, showing up is enough (provided you can do a rudimentary H&P). For consistency, the cases have to be the same in Philadelphia and Atlanta (or else people could sue for having had to take a tougher exam, especially if they failed).

Not much to add to what Apollyon has written, but to answer your questions...

'Mastering the OSCE and CSA' by Reteguiz & Avendano was enough for me (but then again, I consider the clinical encounter a major strength in my education and personality). The cases are similar in focus, type but they are not taken from the book nor does the book "give away" any clinical scenarios from the exam.

Its been too many years so even if there weren't a copyright issue I can't really remember the cases in detail except to say that I do recall a Psych and an Ob/Gyn (obviously you don't do a pelvic exam on these). No peds.

I just used the book above as prep, read through it several times and that was about it. Can't say I prepped for months or even weeks. The exam is just not that hard.

Best method to prepare is your education, the book and being friendly, professional and systematic. The SP have a hand in your scoring, so the better your "bedside manner" the better you'll do - as I said, be friendly, professional, and try to make some connection with the SP.

I can't remember the scoring - I'm sure its covered either in the book or in the information sent to you by ECFMG.

When I took it there was only 1 location (Philly) but as Apollyon notes, I'm sure the cases are the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concur with the above...now if my memory serves me right, it's a pass/fail, you have about 11/12 cases, one's a freebie, my cases addressed, drugs,psy, someone having slept on their elbow all night(not kidding here), no peds, fairly general. The important thing to remember that the faux pas PT grades(fills out a form) the minute you leave the room and pretty much what they say about you goes, so be on your best behavior here. And dress properly for the test, they will fail you if you wear jeans and that mistake can cost you the price of testing twice!!! Oh, and use medical terms not slang.

Originally posted by carddr
And dress properly for the test, they will fail you if you wear jeans and that mistake can cost you the price of testing twice!!!
I've heard that same anecdote about the guy with jeans failing on the spot. Can anyone confirm it?

Yep, some european took the test in jeans and they failed him for improper attire, test was in Pa locale. Cost him another $1200. Can't say if there were other reasons. but took the test around the same time. The PT must have expected his/her MD to dress professionally, imagine that. Some of those pts deserve an Oscar they take their roles so seriously. So you out perform them and show your stuff.

Do the AMGs have to take this exam now? Heard it was going to happen and that they were only going to pay $800. plus the varies testing locations. Fee seems to discriminate if IMGs still have to pay $1200. for same test.

When is the last CSA exam? Is it 2004 or 2005?
I guess FMGs will take the Step 2 CS with the rest of the US grads.

the last exam is in april 2004.....after that its step 2 cs

anymore csa insight? goldenboy?

the best way to get the detailed info is to suscribe to these great newletters that the ecfmg sends out once in a while...suscribe to all of them.
step 2 cs will be a requirement for us grad along with imgs from 2004....will be valid through out life (unlike csa which is for 3 yrs only) and will cost the us grads 975 bucks...(csa costs 1200 bucks...)...i dont know what it will cost the IMGS. it will be held at 5 centers....i dont know which ones...but u can check that up at the ecfmg site....hope this helps...

Just to add a few things.....

The very last day the ecfmg accepts CSA applications is Jan 5th 2004.

Applying for the Step 2 CS exam will be possible sometime early 2004. The cost will be the same as the CSA for IMGs. The first tests will be held June 2004.

From now on the CSA will be valid indefinitely, just like the step 2 cs.

The 3 new centers are LA, Chicago and something I just forgot but it's on one of the coast.

Does anyone know when the American students will start taking this exam? The first class who is required to take it will be the class of 2005, I believe, but when will they take it? At the end of 4th year? Does anyone know?

I just kinda fear there'll be a lack of spots next summer if all the US students plus all the IMGs that have been waiting through the CSA/Step 2 CS gap have to take it at the same time.