Csa Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to take the CSA in 2 weeks in the atlanta location. I have a few questions regarding the exam itself and its preparation from those who have taken the exam already or those who have friends who has taken it.

1. I am using 'Mastering the OSCE and CSA' by Reteguiz & Avendano for my preparation. Can anyone tell me if the same cases appeared on their exam? Is this a good prep for the CSA?

2. Does anyone remember the cases they had for their CSA exam?

3. What kind of prep and how long did you guys study for the CSA?

4. Are the cases include pediatric, OB/Gyne, and Pysch or is it strictly limited to Inetrnal Med, FP and Surgery?

5. What is the best method to prepare for this exam?

6. How is the CSA scored i.e. how is it graded?. What aspects of the exam is very important and scored highly?

7. Finally, do both locations have the same cases or do they differ? Do they change the cases at all or is it the same cases over and over?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i'm in the same boat as u at this moment. i'd just like to say that ur questions 6 & 7 are answered in the csa booklet send to u.....as for the rest of ur questions, i'm hopin too that someone will b able to answer that and enlighten those of us who need the advice...
take care and keep smiling.:)

From what I have heard, CSA cases cover a broad spectrum of disorders that are fairly common.....Asthma, Hypertension, etc. I did hear from someone that they had a case where they were asked to take a man's blood pressure old school style so watch out for that! Beyond that, the book you are using seems to be what the vast majority of students use. It's easy reading from what I hear and covers the big topics that you will most likely encounter. Doing an elective in EM should help you for the exam...it's helping me tremendously. Good luck!

Originally posted by Legndstale
had a case where they were asked to take a man's blood pressure old school style so watch out for that!

what is old school style? I think I only know one way (the Bate's way). how else do you do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input about the CSA.

Regarding the BP style. Is old school equivalent to the palpatory BP checking?

Here's what I have heard.
Rather than how you do the clinical examinations it's much more imp how does one interact and behaves with the SP's.Say you are doing a spleen examinations, it's much more important to explain to the SP that you are gonna examine his/her spleen and palpate it rather than do a glorious spleen examination and not explain anything to the SP ...Hope you get the drift.The "thank you's" and "may I's" are much more important here.Time managemnt is an another important part.Also for IMG's apeaking slowly and legibly is very important.
Hth.

Regarding the format and everything else.the official site has a truckload of details incl a very helpful pdf downloadable file.You will also get a video cassette when you register for CSA.
Regards