CSPM or OCPM or CPM??????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahikma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to all 3 schools, but I am having a tough time deciding. . . I want the best education as well as good clinical opportunities. . . . Anyone want to share their .02 with me??

Members don't see this ad.

Please use the search function. Threads like this have been killed to death.

Also, please check out the sticky entitled, "Questions and answers about Podiatric Medical Schools."

Here is a link.

Congrats on your acceptances and best of luck to you!

I appreciate your response, but that thread does not help me. I have read it many times and searched the forums and not found anything specifically comparing the three. If you notice CSPM, OCPM and CPM are not discussed there. . . .

Table of Contents
California College of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College
College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, Des Moines University
New York College of Podiatric Medicine
Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine
Temple Unversity School of Podiatric Medicine
Dr William M Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, Rosalind Franklin University
Barry University Podiatric Medicine Program
Arizona Podiatric Medicine Program, Midwestern University

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to all 3 schools, but I am having a tough time deciding. . . I want the best education as well as good clinical opportunities. . . . Anyone want to share their .02 with me??

hey there! Im doin cspm because they have high first time board pass rates, good scholarships, excellent residencies all over the place nearby (if you wanna be in the bay area) and very diverse clinicals(i mean it is san francisco bay area after all!) If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me

Well OCPM has the most technologically advanced anatomy lab in the country, and has really taken the lead as the premier podiatric institute. If you want the best in the country, you'll go to OCPM!

Having a super techno anatomy lab doesn't really matter as much as having a body to actually dissect. Maybe they have cyborgs or something there.

At CSPM right now it is 60 degrees, and mid summer its around 80. Ohio, Chicago, have snow on the ground.

CSPM is the best because the greatest minds in Podiatry go there.

thats my .02

Well OCPM has the most technologically advanced anatomy lab in the country, and has really taken the lead as the premier podiatric institute. If you want the best in the country, you'll go to OCPM!

Well the school is beautiful (interviewed + internship at OCPM) and the labs are great. But what about the clinical experience, because that is very important. I have not heard great things about the clinics, especially when you have patients being shared by 100+ students.

I have also heard that their clinical experience is lacking which could be a huge factor in your preparedness for your residency. . . I have also heard the first time board pass rate is a little low. (all referring to OCPM) Does the high cost of CSPM bother any of you guys?

of course! That is a MAJOR factor to consider as well!

I have also heard that their clinical experience is lacking which could be a huge factor in your preparedness for your residency. . . I have also heard the first time board pass rate is a little low. (all referring to OCPM) Does the high cost of CSPM bother any of you guys?

I am definitely looking into the high cost of living for CSPM. I believe samuel merritt's yearly expense budget (tuition + estimated housing/board was 63K! The OCPM sheet says 50K a year plus there are many cheap places to live in the area. Not counting scholarships, one could pay a lot more to attend CSPM. I was leaning towards that program but not sure if the extra cash is worth it. Of course you have nice weather and its close to a cool city, but how much time is there to enjoy it???

About the board pass rates, I know that the class of 2010 at OCPM was quite low, below the national average. I think it was 73 or 76%. They do have the biggest class size of any pod school so you can expect people to be accepted who shouldn't be there in the first place (end up failing out) It seems they have upped the standards for the class of 2012/2013 though with requiring the MCAT plus a min score. I'm not sure if you knew, but OCPM only 2 years back accepted the MCAT, DAT,PCAT, OAT, GRE...pretty ridiculous. Upping the standards along with an awesome new facility is definitely a step in the right direction.

About their clinics, I have been talking a number of current 3rd years and they say its a mixed bag. There is a 1 month VA rotation for juniors but they have to switch on and off with a group and have half days on friday. Pretty much you are there for 5 days total - Mon + Wed for full days and half day Friday for a 2 week period. This was very surprising to hear! That place has many patients with a great deal of pathology - I spent some time there to see it myself. Would be amazing if they could put more emphasis here but you have an enormous class size along with a big number of residents too.

There are 2 main clinics, one is pretty busy and the other they all seem to complain about (Huron Hospital). They all agree its extremely slow and there are few patients to go around. Not sure how it is at other pod school clinics but the OCPM 3rd years work in pairs when seeing a patient. The school seemed to push how they are very strong clinically but I am trying to research this area.

I was told they are expanding the rotations now so students will be able to get more hands on experience. Examples are NEON "Northeast Ohio Neighborhood Health Clinics", another similar clinic, and the school's own on-campus treatment rooms. I'm curious to how these are working out. It's a recent change though.

Can anyone going through the OCPM clinicals talk about their experiences? I'm curious of how it's been thus far. I am a bit apprehensive about the clinical aspects of Ohio. The 3rd year students seemed to push the idea of spending time with private practice DPM's to make up for the lack of clinic.

I am definitely looking into the high cost of living for CSPM. I believe samuel merritt's yearly expense budget (tuition + estimated housing/board was 63K! The OCPM sheet says 50K a year plus there are many cheap places to live in the area. Not counting scholarships, one could pay a lot more to attend CSPM. I was leaning towards that program but not sure if the extra cash is worth it. Of course you have nice weather and its close to a cool city, but how much time is there to enjoy it???

hey i had an email from tanya grigg (the financial aid lady) and actually the 63K a year includes $10,000.00 total for things not associated with tuition room board etc and are things that some might not have to worry about here are the numbers:

Personal $2800.00
Computer costs $1200.00
Transportation $6000.00

so right there if one has a computer and a car and limits their personal spending the cost is within a few thousand of ocpm, which is comperable...

but yes there will be the breaks from school over winter and summer along with the day of tests after tests are done and the occasional weekend day free that one can allocate to enjoy the city as well! :) hope that helps

just spent last wed at the NEON clinic-- it was interesting saw more patients than i would have at HURON, the attending there is also easy to work with ... also spent last friday at the independance ... and i did foot screeings on some pts ( ie this is the agreement ocpm has with the city of independance is to provide free foot screeingings to denizsen of independance), subsequent we do not provide treatment to patients who do come for foot screenings, and we also had a couple of regular patient where we did provide treatment

hope this helps

just spent last wed at the NEON clinic-- it was interesting saw more patients than i would have at HURON, the attending there is also easy to work with ... also spent last friday at the independance ... and i did foot screeings on some pts ( ie this is the agreement ocpm has with the city of independance is to provide free foot screeingings to denizsen of independance), subsequent we do not provide treatment to patients who do come for foot screenings, and we also had a couple of regular patient where we did provide treatment

hope this helps

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. So overall,what are your thoughts of OCPM clinicals so far??? Do you feel like you are getting good experience?

In comparing the OCPM budget to the CSPM budget did you also note that the CSPM budget of 63K+ is for a 9 month period.. where OCPM's budget is on an 11 month calendar I believe. .I may be off.. but as I understood it there was a difference of a month or two in budget periods. Anyone know for sure?

In comparing the OCPM budget to the CSPM budget did you also note that the CSPM budget of 63K+ is for a 9 month period.. where OCPM's budget is on an 11 month calendar I believe. .I may be off.. but as I understood it there was a difference of a month or two in budget periods. Anyone know for sure?

The OCPM budget is for 11 months (1st year and summer semester). It also includes money for transportation, personal expenses etc so the difference between it and CSPM is still pretty large.

My vote is for OCPM :D

Why??----B/C I'm going there!

:laugh:

All in all, especially if you are taking advantage of student housing you can make that 63K last 12 months no problem as long as you live a lean lifestyle...not poor/scraping by but just lean within your budget :)

but then how will you be able to shop at all the hip bay area stores??? I guess your rad scooter will save you some money on gas though.

but then how will you be able to shop at all the hip bay area stores??? I guess your rad scooter will save you some money on gas though.

Well that too along with all the carpooling he'll be doing in Castro

whats with the homophobic people on here? anyways right to add to what i was saying before they give you like 3300 for board in addition to the like 9500ish or so for rent so they are thinking youll be spending liike 70 dollars a week for food! yikes! thats something that if you cut in half saves like 1600ish a year right there! hope that helps PM me for more info as I have been religiously talking with tanya grigg from cspm to work everything out, although the housing situation hasnt been sorted out yet-its guarenteed though so if you want to live there you'll be able to!