CSS Profile = $18 per school to submit!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPursuit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As if there wasn't enough blood sucked out of us, this @#$## financial aid form is going to nail me for $18 a pop, and I'm submitting this to schools I have not even been admitted to.

I really, really, really dislike the College Board. It seemed like they'd suck money out of you with every chance they got when I was applying to colleges, and now there's more money down the crapper to this vile organization.

What about an online application costs $18 per school? Excuse me? I'll print it off and mail it in myself, punks.

And then there is of course a $5 initial application fee because well, I guess you gotta tack on more fees somewhere.

Done venting. Going to vomit.

Members don't see this ad.

So yeah...I'm really not sure how this whole financial aid thing works. I filled out the FAFSA. Now I'm supposed to do this profile thing? Is it required? Why haven't the schools I've interviewed at informed me of this??!?! It would've been nice to know...

In terms of financial aid, nothing is required. Not even FASFA.

The major differences between FASFA and the College Board PROFILE (as far as I can tell):

a) Every university/college financial aid office uses information obtained from FASFA. Not true with PROFILE

b) FASFA is free.

c) I suspect more scholarships/grants are received from fililng out FASFA (though I could be wrong).

But I'm also confused as to why many schools don't talk about the College Board PROFILE application (perhaps they feel it is irrelevant? :confused: ).
I only filled out the form because a director of admissions at one school I visited "strongly" suggested I do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasSnow said:
In terms of financial aid, nothing is required. Not even FASFA.

The major differences between FASFA and the College Board PROFILE (as far as I can tell):

a) Every university/college financial aid office uses information obtained from FASFA. Not true with PROFILE

b) FASFA is free.

c) I suspect more scholarships/grants are received from fililng out FASFA (though I could be wrong).

But I'm also confused as to why many schools don't talk about the College Board PROFILE application (perhaps they feel it is irrelevant? :confused: ).
I only filled out the form because a director of admissions at one school I visited "strongly" suggested I do so.

Ahhh okay. That clears some stuff up. I was getting kinda nervous there for a sec...

I would definitely not send the CSS to schools that you haven't been accepted to yet...I'm considering not even sending the FAFSA...because the info on that in my business and my family's business...not schools that don't even accept me! In any case, if you do the FAFSA now but then the CSS later once you know from the schools, that would be the smarter thing to do.

how do you add schools later to the PROFILE? I submitted it initially to 4 schools, but I'll prolly need to send it to more schools in the next month.