CSU hurt my chances of getting into USC Pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shooto2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do pharmacy schools have a preference for student coming from a school like UCLA or do they look down on students from CSU? Is USC very picky?

Members don't see this ad.

Here in the south USC is University of South Carolina. I'm assuming you are referring to Southern Cal, though.

I guess CSU is California State?

Here in Florida, some schools have better reputations than others. At the University of Florida, they fill out a form for all applicants. They have a spot where they write in where you did most of your undergrad work. They definitely take it into consideration. I'm not sure what USC does.

At the USC interview, we had to introduce ourselves and what school we attended.

In my small group of 30-45 ( I forgot), all but 1 was from UC's. The 1 not from UC was from CSU Pomona with a degree in Business. Anyone else want to comment about their interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall, 6 out of the 30 people in my group were from a Cal State. However, this may just mean that more UC students than Cal State students apply to USC School of Pharmacy. In addition, doing the answer and question session, 1 out of the 3 USC pharmacy students graduated from a Cal State.

I don't think graduating from a Cal State would dramatically affect your chance of getting accepted to USC. However, I do feel that Cal State graduates have to do a little better than UC graduates academically in order to get accepted.

USC accepts their students based on a point system: 25% overall GPA; 20% pre-reqs GPA; 20% interview; 10% essay; 10 % pharmacy related work experience, leadership, recommendation letters; 10% degree; 5% academically and professionally prepared for pharmacy school.

As you can see, more than 50% of the points have nothing to do with grades. You should concentrate on doing well in your classes and definately apply to USC; there is no reason why you shouldn't apply. Good Luck.

Shooto,

Don't worry about that at all. I know a pharm III at UCSF who was accepted to SC from CS San Bernadino. The thing that matters most is you put together a solid application.

See the other threads for what that's comprised of, but in short make the most of the school you're at. Ad coms will see that. In certain instances being from a CS will help you out bc you will stand out a little more.

The singular goal is to make yourself different and better than the other applicants.

I'm an essay hound, so I'm saying to come up with an essay that'll really knock their socks off. Show 'em that you've thought about the profession and have a plan for making it better.

Hey dude, I thought that I would reply with my experience. I don't think that USC is as snooty as you may think. I go to CSU Fullerton, and though I am not a pre-pharm student, I can pull up the list of students from my school that were accepted to health professions schools in a previous year (2000):

Khoi Ha USC School of Pharmacy Pharmacist

Please understand that only about 3 out of every 60 pre-health professions students at my school are actually interested in pharmacy...sorry about that, but 33% is good, isn't it?

Anyways, I can still say that USC will not look down upon you for going to a CSU. A USC Pharmacy school representative took the time to visit my school and present the requirements for it...now why would the school go through all that trouble for a supposedly lower-ranked school? She even stayed back to answer peoples' questions and such...there were more students going to USC from my school, but I cannot find the lists right now, and I am sorry.

Shooto,

How are things coming along? Apply to SC with confidence da%@it!!!