Program-Specific Info / Q's CSUDH and OTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student4life101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering since CSUDH has such a short window to apply (Aug 1 - Sept 15), do any of you know how going through OTCAS and getting verified would work out? Would I have to start the verification process really early and get verified before the Sept 15 deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

Do it and SUBMIT as soon as humanly possible. Sometimes there are hangups that will delay your application and the verification process itself can take weeks. The CSU's are competitive but some programs give preference to early applications. If I were you, I'd call their helpful OTCAS support staff and ask if you could start sending transcripts now. I had a great essay that I worked HARD on and it took me longer than expected to perfect. Also consider that you have to manually input your grades which is tedious. Or there is the new OTCAS option for "professional transcript entry" (costs more and takes longer).

While you're waiting for OTCAS to open, I say work on your essay, get your hours lined up, start lining up the OT's/professors you feel could write you strong letters of rec, and ask if you can send transcripts now. You will feel so much better when it's completed early and in before OTCAS gets flooded and backlogged with applicants. It will make for a less stressful summer and you will likely be one of the first applicants to hear back from CSUDH. Good luck!

Thank you O.T. eyes! Yes, I have lined things up so that I am ready to go when OTCAS opens this year. I am debating if I want to apply to CSUDH via OTCAS or directly to their program. I am leaning more towards the latter plan now. My goal is to apply to schools early because my stats are not very competitive ( undergrad: 3.5, prereq: 4.0, ot hours: 100, gre: 143/157/no writing score yet, i just took it).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you O.T. eyes! Yes, I have lined things up so that I am ready to go when OTCAS opens this year. I am debating if I want to apply to CSUDH via OTCAS or directly to their program. I am leaning more towards the latter plan now. My goal is to apply to schools early because my stats are not very competitive ( undergrad: 3.5, prereq: 4.0, ot hours: 100, gre: 143/157/no writing score yet, i just took it).

Ohh my mistake. I didn't realize that program is giving you the option to do either one this year! If CSUDH is your top choice then I'd say definitely apply directly ASAP! OTCAS may be helpful to you later if you want to apply to multiple programs for back-ups through out the summer, fall, winter, and even next spring 2017. Just takes a little more added effort and $ especially after you already sent all your materials to CSUDH the first time. It's time consuming for schools to process multiple applications so it will be in your favor to be one of the first ones they see. Some programs even straight up say they add brownie points to early apps.

Please don't stress about your stats. You're a contender. Just know what OT is, write a strong essay, and have strong LORS, you'll be A-OK!

Thank you for the encouragement! I am also applying to Loma Linda and Touro (Nevada) via OTCAS. I know I should do more schools, but those fees are killer! Fingers crossed I get in somewhere.

I am a current CSUDH student (heading into semester 3), and I can tell you that I had my app turned in on time, but my OTCAS was not *verified* until mid October. I'm not sure how they will do it this year, but you should definitely ask this question at the info session! There is a chance they'll say, as long as it's submitted by deadline, you'll be OK. I will note that last year was the first year they used OTCAS, so they were very strict about the actual application folder that is turned into the OT office, but not so strict about the general OTCAS app.
I'm sure many students will have this same question at the info session (these are required, and super helpful!).

I am also a current CSUDH student and when I applied last year I didn't do OTCAS, I just applied through CSUDH. I am so glad that I didn't have to deal with any of that extra stuff. As for turning it in early to get brownie points, CSUDH doesn't do that. They don't look at the applications until September 16th and they look at all of them together. Don't stress too much about getting it done really early! Good luck @student4life101!

Last edited:
I am also a current CSUDH student and when I applied last year I didn't do OTCAS, I just applied through CSUDH. I am so glad that I didn't have to deal with any of that extra stuff. As for turning it in early to get brownie points, CSUDH doesn't do that. They don't look at the applications until September 16th and they look at all of them together. Don't stress too much about getting it done really early! Good luck @O.T.eyes!

Hey smartpig25, I just had a question about the csudh application process. Did you have an interview with them? At the info session they were very vague about that. Also, csu mentor has a space for a personal statement, do you know it the OT dept considers that?

Thanks a bunch

Hey smartpig25, I just had a question about the csudh application process. Did you have an interview with them? At the info session they were very vague about that. Also, csu mentor has a space for a personal statement, do you know it the OT dept considers that?

Thanks a bunch
No one was interviewed last year, and I want to say that will also be the case this year with Terry going away for her research. I could be wrong on that, though. Last year, I didn't write a personal statement on CSU Mentor because it wasn't required. I emailed about it and the response I got was, "You will not need to submit your statement of purpose as it is not a basis of admissions, but you may include it if you like." I know some people that included one and some that didn't, really it's up to you.

Hi everyone. I am also applying to CSUDH's OT program

Last edited:
Hey
No one was interviewed last year, and I want to say that will also be the case this year with Terry going away for her research. I could be wrong on that, though. Last year, I didn't write a personal statement on CSU Mentor because it wasn't required. I emailed about it and the response I got was, "You will not need to submit your statement of purpose as it is not a basis of admissions, but you may include it if you like." I know some people that included one and some that didn't, really it's up to you.

Oh man Smartpig25 will Dr Peralta will for sure be gone for this application period?

I have two questions regarding the application, was wondering if you guys could help. Do we need to send in OTCAS as well as materials in person? Also, for CSUMENTOR do we have to send in all our transcripts with our prereqs or just the ones including our BA/BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can your bachelors be in progress when applying to CSUDH?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey

Oh man Smartpig25 will Dr Peralta will for sure be gone for this application period?
@therapoke, I'm not sure when she will be back exactly, but she will at least be gone for a couple months.
@FutureOT2015 I think if you do OTCAS, you don't have to turn in anything in person (not sure on this though because I didn't do OTCAS). As for the transcripts, I would send them all in just to be safe.
@manpin Your bachelors must be complete when you apply.

Hey @Smartpig25, thanks so much for answering peoples questions in here even though you're already in the program!

I just took my GREs and I was really sad at how I did... (was not what I was expecting) But my other stats seem good. Do you think I stand a chance in getting in with these scores? I don't have enough time to retake it.... and I'm still debating on whether or not to take it again for SJSU.

GRE: V 149 Q 148 (or the other way around) 5 in Writing
GPA: 3.46
Prerequisites: All As (One B+ in Statistics)
Volunteer hours: 230 in pediatric outpatient, 80 in inpatient hospital, 60 in a County medical therapy and about 20 hrs in school district. All under an OTR. so about 400 hrs.
Extracurricular: Prehealth clubs back when I was younger.
No related work experience.
LOR: 1 OT, 2 profs
:(( I really hope I can get in.

Last edited:
@therapoke I think you definitely stand a chance of getting in! My GRE scores were very similar to yours and I only had one chance to take it as well. They really consider everything when looking at the applications, including LOR's. Try not to stress about it too much, although I know it's hard not to!

I was really appreciative last year when students from previous cohorts answered my questions, so I'm doing the same!

@therapoke Mine was 298 and it turned out to be good enough :)

I was looking at your stats in the other forum. Your gpa was high though! 3.7! I'm just worried cause neither of my numbers are high and thats the first thing they see on the application...

Do you mind me asking around when did you turn in your complete application?

Thanks so much for responding. Would you mind telling us who wrote your letters of rec? Do you think having 2 from OTs is bad?

Also, what do you think made you stand out?

Thanks again

@cindylu 1 was from the OT that I volunteered with. The other 2 were from professors that knew me personally and they both have amazing reputations within their profession and are well-known. I had a chance to read them and they were both amazing LOR's. I think that is what made me stand out honestly. I also think that my grades helped me out too, since my GRE wasn't too great. As for having 2 LOR's from OT's, I think that's fine!

Hi everyone, I completed my application for CSUDH's OT program. Patty informed me they received my application. Anyways, how are all of you dealing with the waiting for letters? Previous applicants, how did all of you cope?

I am a nervous wreck, b/c I only applied to CSUDH. I put all my bets into this one school. I am a recent graduate, working my 4-5 years as an undergrad to get to this point, and know that I will be completely devastated if I do not get in.

Hence, I am coping by keeping my expectations low. Any other coping strategies I could try?

Hi everyone, I completed my application for CSUDH's OT program. Patty informed me they received my application. Anyways, how are all of you dealing with the waiting for letters? Previous applicants, how did all of you cope?

I am a nervous wreck, b/c I only applied to CSUDH. I put all my bets into this one school. I am a recent graduate, working my 4-5 years as an undergrad to get to this point, and know that I will be completely devastated if I do not get in.

Hence, I am coping by keeping my expectations low. Any other coping strategies I could try?

Wow that was me a year ago! I, too, *only* applied to CSHDU but was not accepted. I highly advise you to apply to more than one program if OT is what you truly want to pursue. If you allow yourself to have options it'll lessen the blow should you be rejected (lets hope not though!). Personally speaking, knowing that you have a back up plan will help you cope with these very long 4-6 weeks. I didn't have this and I think that was a mistake.

Also, I did a lot of shopping. I know this sounds shallow but shopping took the edge off. Especially because I am pretty frugal (student life) so when I allowed myself to spend freely it felt very therapeutic for some reason. If shopping isn't an option, I also exercised a LOT (60-90 mins a day training for a triathlon). It helped redirect my thoughts and exhausted my body...

Good luck to you! I hope you get accepted.

Wow that was me a year ago! I, too, *only* applied to CSHDU but was not accepted. I highly advise you to apply to more than one program if OT is what you truly want to pursue. If you allow yourself to have options it'll lessen the blow should you be rejected (lets hope not though!). Personally speaking, knowing that you have a back up plan will help you cope with these very long 4-6 weeks. I didn't have this and I think that was a mistake.

Also, I did a lot of shopping. I know this sounds shallow but shopping took the edge off. Especially because I am pretty frugal (student life) so when I allowed myself to spend freely it felt very therapeutic for some reason. If shopping isn't an option, I also exercised a LOT (60-90 mins a day training for a triathlon). It helped redirect my thoughts and exhausted my body...

Good luck to you! I hope you get accepted.

Thanks for the advice! I did plan to apply to Stanbridge too, and when I talked to the counselor and financial advisor awhile back, they assured me that I would get a spot if I applied.

However, they angered me! The financial advisor there told me that if I had a RICH uncle or family member who had extra money to pay my loans, I would have no problem paying near 100k debt. They also did not honor the price they first gave me, cancelling my future financial appointments there in an excuse to jack up the price another 15-20k. A school that doesn't have professionalism or keep their word concerns me. It made me wonder how they could organize and guarantee clinical placements for students.

I also planned to apply to West Coast, but when I visited last year, the dean offended me as well. He told me that students applying who only volunteered in one population (like pediatrics) for the OT field does not deserve or truly show that they want to be an OT. His statement shows that he had no idea how difficult it is for many students to find OT clinical sites willing to take volunteers in. Many are rejected, or put on long wait list. I had to call thirty different clinics and hospitals in SoCal for even ONE clinic to take me in. He also told me at that time that they sometimes cannot guarantee clinical placement in SoCal and that they may send some students out of state for their clinicals (keep in mind you have to pay for the flight and stay there).

Anyways, CSUDH had the most professionalism, understanding, and patience among their OT department compared to the schools I mentioned. Yes, I do have back up plans. I just hope I do not have to falter to my back up plans.

Back up plan B is to work full time and boost up my stats and apply again. Back up plan Z is to win the lottery.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, i also applied this year. Did you hear anything back yet?

Hey, i also applied this year. Did you hear anything back yet?

Oh I got the acceptance email on Oct. 14. I got the hard copy in the mail 3 days afterwards. I also posted in the CSUDH discussion as well.

Oh I got the acceptance email on Oct. 14. I got the hard copy in the mail 3 days afterwards. I also posted in the CSUDH discussion as well.
Thanks for responding. Do u mind posting ur stats?

Thanks for responding. Do u mind posting ur stats?

I posted them in the CSUDH discussion, but I guess I can post them again.

Major GPA: 3.97 Overall: 3.75
Pre-reqs: all As, one B in anatomy
GRE- Quant: 152 Verb: 150 Writing: 5~5.5ish
Hours: Thousands at 4 different clinical populations

5~6 years working in health service for geriatrics, disabled children in low income communities.

LOR: 1 OT (a really unique one), 1 employer (CEO of company), 1 professor (Anatomy)

I thought my B in Anatomy would count against me since CSUDH strongly suggests getting As in Anatomy and Physiology. Good thing my anatomy teacher wrote a good rec for me.