trinstudent

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,
Just a quick question about residency status. I live in a New England state with no public medical school but go to school in Connecticut. I would like to switch to CT residency before applying this summer so I can apply to UConn as a state resident. However, I won't have 1 year of residency in the state before applying. Will they assume CT residency because I will have met the 1 year requirement before matriculating (if accepted) or will it not count because I won't have met the requirement at the time of applying?

Also, will a school like UConn see that I do not have a state school and am still from the region and take that into consideration?

Thanks.

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,
Just a quick question about residency status. I live in a New England state with no public medical school but go to school in Connecticut. I would like to switch to CT residency before applying this summer so I can apply to UConn as a state resident. However, I won't have 1 year of residency in the state before applying. Will they assume CT residency because I will have met the 1 year requirement before matriculating (if accepted) or will it not count because I won't have met the requirement at the time of applying?

Also, will a school like UConn see that I do not have a state school and am still from the region and take that into consideration?

Thanks.
Not sure. You will want to contact UConn or the state of CT directly. Different states have different rules to determine residency. In my state (Colorado), being a student will not get you residency, no matter how long you attend college here.

If you do not have a public med school, there must be some public school you are considered in-state to. In the west, Wyoming and Montana are considered in-state when applying to Colorado because they have no med schools. You probably have a similar deal with a neighboring state (I'm assuming). Check into that too.

To answer your last question, I think regional ties are considered when applying OOS, but I do not know how much. It varies by school I'm sure.